Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Christmas Break?
- - By aevald (*****) Date 01-05-2009 06:30
Hello All, most of the time educators do have a bit of time off for Christmas and other times of the year. In my case, I generally take this time to get back into industry and brush up on some of my skills and attempt to keep myself up to date. I have included a few pictures of a project that I was involved with over the break. It's a pilot house for a tug that will be trucked over to the rest of the boat for final assembly upon completion. All of the parts were waterjetted and then we formed, assembled, and welded them together. Thought some of you might appreciate this sort of project. This is also part of the reason for my limited participation on the forum as of late. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 01-05-2009 06:58
That thing is a beauty!
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-05-2009 14:20
Allan,
  That is one sweet looking project!!! Very nice indeed. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-06-2009 13:19
Hello Allen;

It looks like the material might be aluminum. Nice design, it has a good look to it.

Are you using GMAW spray mode transfer? How thick is the material?

Some kids write about visiting Grandma and Grandpa over their Christmas vacation. Not our Allen, he gets to write about something really interesting!

Nice job Allen. I bet they hate to see you leave at the end of your break! :)

Best regards and welcome back! Al
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-06-2009 20:03
Hello Al, it is indeed aluminum, 5086 grade. I believe you could also say that the welding was performed in spray transfer and pulsed transfer mode, I term it that way because we were using 3 different machines to perform the fit-up and welding. Had 1 XMT 304 with a 30A spool gun and an Optima pulse pendant control, 1 Miller 350P with the Python push-pull gun, and a Miller 251 fitted with a 30A spool gun with the flexible neck attachment. Material thicknesses ranged from .250", .3125", and .375", we were using .047" dia. 5356 filler wire. I felt fortunate to be able to work with the thicker materials, didn't have a lot of distortion issues to deal with as a result. It was work, but as work goes it was the challenging fun sort of work that makes a day go by a bit faster. Also, having most of the parts water-jetted and etched with identifying part #'s and bend line requirements helped to make things go very smoothly. This particular shop has been very good to me as far as providing opportunities like this and I believe I have also made some positive contributions to them as well. Many of their employees have been past students and it is rewarding to see them progress beyond their schooling. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 01-06-2009 20:25
Allan,
  I am GREEN with envy my friend. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-09-2009 03:14
Allan,

Between pictures you posted earlier, a report from my parents, and the news about the snows, rain, flooding, etc, how did you find the time to get out and get involved in such an envious project?  That is one nice piece of work.  Shows real skill and craftsmanship on the part of all involved.

Keep up the good work.  Thanks for the pics.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-09-2009 06:30
Hello Brent, the past month has been somewhat challenging in the weather department. We have indeed had some weird snow patterns and excessive rain and flooding issues, along with the rain and flooding there have been many mud slides all over our area and this side of the state. Ourselves and everyone else in our area have been faced with many weather related challenges. For my family personally, the challenges have really been minor compared to some of the losses and inconveniences that others have faced. We have had 4-wheel drives to deal with snow and river fording when required. We have suffered very minor property damage compared to others. I spent some time in town last night at the shop that I have pictured, as well as one other shop, helping to get welding machines off the floors and stowed away up high enough in case the water breeched the dike and flooded the shops. A large number of other shops, businesses, and homeowners faced similar circumstances. When I went to leave the college yesterday I had 1 choice for getting home of 3 possibles, the one choice that was left entailed 4 water crossings over the road that were about 10 or 12" deep and running pretty strong and one spot where the bank sloughed off and deposited a tree about 1/3 of the way across the road. So it was interesting. Things are way better today, yet there are still plenty of issues facing the local population.
     They finished that project today, I last helped on it last Friday, and it will likely ship out tomorrow. It was a very fun project to be involved with and the others that I worked with on it are a great bunch of guys.
     I hope that your folks haven't suffered or been inconvienced too greatly as a result of these conditions. I also hope that your family is working their way through their loss and coming to grips with the situation. Continue to know that there are lots of folks that continue to pray for and support all of you. Thanks for your interests and comments and I will continue to watch for your contributions to the forum. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-09-2009 08:34
Allan, absolutely beautiful project!  I've seen the flooding and am stunned!!!  I can't remember I-5 and I-90 ever being shut down simultaneously in my lifetime!!! 
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-09-2009 15:27
If you folks are doing a lot of fording, might want to make sure you grease your u-joints etc, and repack wheel bearings. Differentials also have a breather tube that can let water in.
BTW Allan, nice work on that pilot house...some people have all the fun
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-09-2009 15:43
Hello Superflux, along that same line, if a differential or gearbox is warm or hot and it hits cold water, (as the case might be when you're driving through water) the sudden cooling will cause the unit to actually form a vacumn and suck the water into it if it has a way to draw the water, such as through a breather. Great point Superflux. Yak at you later, best regards, Allan
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-10-2009 16:09
Thanks for the response Allan,

The kids are the ones still having the most difficulty dealing with the death of their son.  Lonnie will more than likely never forget the 'feel' when running over his own son.  They are doing well but we know there are many underlying emotions that still need to be dealt with as they surface.

My folks live in the foothills between Oregon City and Estacada and have never had a major problem at the farm, only getting to town.  There are generally enough supplies in the freezers and on the shelves to last through any problems.  The floods in the mid 60's as well as two years in a row in I believe 95-96 & 96-97 really sunk down down Oregon City.  The Post Office finally got moved to the top of the hill because it had been underwater so many times.

Anyway, thank you, and others, for your continued prayers for the kids.

Have a Great Day,  And be safe (it doesn't take much running water to wash vehicles down river)  Brent
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-11-2009 07:39
Hello again Brent, I know of those feelings that you speak of when remembering life altering events, fortunately for me, the ones that have been of a negative sort have been few and far between and not nearly so incomprehensible. As you made mention of your son-in-laws feelings I could only hope that he might be able to focus towards the positive ones that have brought great things to his life as they have for so many others, including myself. One of the memorable times that comes to me had to do with the birth of our last son. We have 4 children, all of them unique and special in their own ways and not necessarily that different from many other children that so many other parents can be proud of. With the case of our last child, my wife was nearing the time for his birth, her obstetrician was a close family friend. One evening we were talking about the upcoming event and the topic of his delivery came up. Somehow we came up with the idea of discussing the possibility of having me deliver him. My wife called our friend up and had a conversation with him about it. He said that he would certainly allow us to do this providing he was right there over my shoulder in case anything didn't go as planned, in that case he was going to get me out of the way and step in and take care of things. My wife and I delivered our last child (he's at the 17 yr. mark now), I do have a very vivid memory of that time and just about everything that transpired, it was truly awesome. One of the more memorable moments had to do with the amount of pressure that I was told to exert in order to clear his shoulders as he left the birth canal. I was told to press downward on his head after it had crowned in order to clear his first shoulder, after that occured I was told to lift his head in order to clear the other shoulder. Without having personally experienced this I would have never had an idea of just how hard I would have been required to apply pressure.
     My story is meant to give you and your family just a little bit of perspective which is so hard to have at times when a tragedy occurs, even at times such as this there have to be so many other grand things that have happened in all of your lives that you can hold onto and remember with a smile. I remember looking up the website that you included of your grandson when you first shared this with all of us on the forum. That is one fine looking grandson! Without ever having met him I know that he was the apple of a great many peoples eyes and although he will be sorely missed his legacy will never go away because he spent time with you and others that can never be taken away. I do wish the best for all of you and I have taken to heart your message to cherish all of the moments of your life and not take them for granted, Thank you Brent, best regards, Allan
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-11-2009 19:52
Allan,

Since you and I seem to have hijacked "your" thread I'll add another quick note. 

First,  our last two sons, of five children were born at home on the family farm there in Oregon City.  On purpose, delivered by me, with a midwife watching.  It was great.  I wish we had had all the kids at home.

Second, our daughter had their first at home on purpose. Everything was fine.  Because of financial reasons they are currently on State assistance with many medical needs accept the son-in-law who gets medical through his work. The next two boys, including the one they lost, were born at home on 'accident'!! Really, our daughter has such easy labor pains and delivers so fast, other women envy or despise her, that the boys were born before anyone including the local fire crew could get to her. 

On an interesting note, the same fire crew that delivered Dyllon two years ago, responded to the emergency call when he was run over.  What an emotional time for all.

But, yes you are absolutely correct.  There are many happy times, even in his short life, but also in our entire life to help each one through this time.  And again, family, church, and friends-even those we have never met in person as the people here, are a great comfort.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-12-2009 15:34
Hello Brent, I didn't mind hijacking my own thread. You have obviously experienced many of the "great" moments in life along with others. Thanks so much for sharing. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By WeldingChat.com (**) Date 01-21-2009 19:28
Great pictures..we recently have a site for welders to promote their work through photos and videos, make your resume look great by show and tell at WeldingMedia.com.

Sometimes,  no amount of networking is enough to find the right opportunity.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Christmas Break?