Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Eye Examination
- - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 01-10-2009 20:41
What time do you think welders should be giving an eye examination early in the morning or in the afternoon after you have welded all day long? Do you guys think your eyes change after the first welding arc?

MG
Parent - By alan domagala (**) Date 01-10-2009 23:25
Ive had eye exams right after welding all day long and have had no problems... although days where ive been arc flashed or done some really high amperage welding i would think it would have some kind of negative effect for an exam. After a weekend of not welding the first arc on monday morning always seems a bit rough for just a second too.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-10-2009 23:31 Edited 01-10-2009 23:35
Milton,

Depends upon what you want to find out about your eyes or the eyes of an employee or perspective inspector.

Personally, I know my eyes change throughout the day.  I am right eye dominant part of the day.  Because of a slight astigmatism in my right eye, and depending on how much welding I do during the day, my left eye becomes more dominant.  Only time I really notice it is when I am shooting or doing other activities that may focus upon which eye you are using.  Eye dominance does not really matter for normal eye test or job performance.

I have had everything else checked at several different times of day and it does not seem to matter.  Color perseption, glacoma (?), visual acuity, retinal exam, and about any other eye test there is.  My opthamologist likes to keep track of many different test levels because of the type of work I do, that way if something changes they know it instantly.

I recommend the same for hearing tests and lung capacity (can't remember proper medical name for the blow in the tube test).  If your doctor knows your normal levels they can catch things before the changes become a problem you can't stop or fix. 

I am over 50, been welding for, well a long time, and have had these eye tests since I was about 25.

Hope that answers your question.  Have a Great Day, Brent
Parent - - By robgreg1978 (**) Date 01-11-2009 00:51
pulmonary test. that is the blow tube test
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-11-2009 19:55
Seems like they called it a 'spirometry' test when we took it.  More than likely spelled wrong. Maybe even not pronounced quite the same.  But close.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Eye Examination