Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ER70S-2
- - By tazmannusa (**) Date 01-29-2009 02:12
I tryed to order a spool of Esab .030" ER70S-2  to see if it worked a little better on galvanized sheet material and my supplier called today and said all the manufactures quit making it.  Anyone know why? and what mig wire would be best for galvanized. My supplier is telling me I need to go to a flux core like the NR211 but I would rather not.
  Tom
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 01-29-2009 03:41
I used hobart 21? on a galvenized pipe repair and it worked very good. It was flux core with no gas. Been few years though. Good luck, do you have an air pack so you dont breath the fumes? Wish I had known.
Dave
Parent - - By tazmannusa (**) Date 01-29-2009 04:44
Dave
I never have used any of the hobart consumables, the welding supply stores dont carry that brand around here or at least  I havnt seen it.
The combination of flux core and galvanized fumes cant be good. For some reason the flux core fumes bother me the most, thats why I havnt used it in years and shy away from it.
I was just lookin at lincoln website on the flux cored wires and looks like there is a lot more different types available sense the last I looked.
The NR-152 "E71T-14" looks like the one I need to try, weld through .030" to 3/16" thick galvanized steel. Only problem its only available in the larger 30 Lb spools. lots of $ to throw away if I dont like it.
I dont have an air pack I just use the painters style reperator. the one with the low profile pink cartridges, fit under helmet and work well, bit miserable on a hot day but so is just being out there.
Tom
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 01-29-2009 11:30
I got elected to do a partial replacement of a 8 foot dia galvanized culvert that we dropped a 637 cat scraped into when we did the dirtwork for the Rawlins Wyo federal prison. I had to weld inside and out because the bureau thought someone might dig out. Smart thinking. That was my mistake and I got scalded lungs. I got those little throw away dust filters from the boss. What we wont do when we are young and hungry. If you dont have a lot to do = Do you have a spool gun? I have a few rolls of flux core in 2 pound spools, pm me your address and I will mail them out to you. I wont ever use them. I think they are Washington alloy or Harris .On the house.

Dave
Parent - By tazmannusa (**) Date 01-29-2009 15:06
Thanks Dave I apreciate the offer
I do have a spool gun but I keep it clean and only run aluminum through it.  I have a couple small spools of 211 or 212  and I just found about 20Lbs left on a roll of Corex 11 "E71T1-11 .035" I think it came with a feeder I bought. Was hoping to shy away from flux core again but I may have no other options. If I can find somthing that works well I will be doing quite a bit. Sheet material there is not much cost deference between galvanized and hot or cold roll. The extra protection of the galvanized for truck boxes and such would be well worth it. Outside can still be painted color of choice and leave the inside Galv. would allso help keep tools from rusting in the moisture. Lot less labor cleaning and painting.
If this economy ever turns around again I may build another steel sailboat. Being mostly 10 and 12 gage material I would like to build out of galvanized just to eliminate all the fun of sandblasting inside and out.
I know what ya mean about young and hungry, I use to weld a lot of it on the dairies without wearing a resperator, just kept my head up wind and out of smoke, luckly I never did get sick from it but I have gotten a tad smarter and wear one now.
  Tom
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ER70S-2