Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Splicing H or I members by welding
- - By norberto (*) Date 02-10-2009 23:06 Edited 02-10-2009 23:55
Hi everybody!
According to AWS D1.1, can someone tell me if it's possible to join by welding-CPJ-. Two H or I, beams or even columns- base metal: ASTM A-36, any thickness. supporting any kind of load (statical or cyclical). With the welding of the web and of tha flange plate in the same direction, with or without slope?
Which of these sketches attached is possible to built up?

Where can I find out any information about joining H or I beams by welding in AWS D1.1?

I hope I succeed.
Parent - - By norberto (*) Date 02-10-2009 23:44 Edited 02-11-2009 09:57
Hi, everybody. I'd like to solve some doubts about what kind of  joint configuration can I use when join by welding a butt joint -CPJ -(nontubular connections)- ASTM A 36 - GROUP-I or II. ( loaded cyclically or statically). (12,7 mm thickness ) (Beam with 8 Pol.)?

What item can I find it in at AWS D D1.1?
Can I make a butt joint up righ (CPJ) or a inclined butt joint with 45º, or a butt joint in Z?
Sorry if I wasn't understood. The only thing I intend to make is to join an "I" or "H" Beam.

Can someone tell me if all these sketches attached is possible to splice a beam or column?

a hug
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-11-2009 16:08
I've seen those details before.....the only thing that I would change is the direction of the bevel at the bottom flange, I would turn that bevel over so that it is all downhand welding, that way when you turn the piece over on the table, you back gouge, refill and you're done....after UT signs off that it is clean, of course.
Parent - By norberto (*) Date 02-12-2009 10:34
My dear john wright, I agree with you a great deal. turning over the bevel at the flange plate is the easiest way for cleaning during welding.
a hug.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-12-2009 19:55
Adding a comment to John's posting, good engineering practice says that on both sides of the splice you should weld a patch, i.e., a small piece of plate of suitable dimensions that are not difficult to figure out. In Portuguese it's called "cobrejuntas".
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

Parent - By norberto (*) Date 02-12-2009 23:16 Edited 02-12-2009 23:55
Olá! G.S.Crisi. It's a pleasure to be in touch with you again. Do you remember the last time we contact ourselves? I'm very glad at the time.
Giovani, estou fazendo o treinamento para ISN2. Talvez eu necessite de um contato mais frequente com você. 
um abraço.
Parent - - By DAYANARA (**) Date 02-11-2009 23:33
Dear Norberto
Please see D1.1 in 5.20 " Splices in cyclically loaded structures", shall preferably be made in single transverse plane. (figure 2 in your attached drawing).

others drawing 1 and 3 is no good practical, because your will problem in corner, innaccesibility in weld.
For Statically loaded I think is similar situation.
Dayanara
Parent - By norberto (*) Date 02-12-2009 10:39
My dear DAYANARA, your hint was what I was loooking for. Thank you very much indeed. You're terrific.
a hug
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 02-11-2009 17:22
Although the 1st and 3rd details are not common splice configurations, any of them are a possibility.  It mainly has to do with what the EOR will allow.  Prequalified CJP details can be found in D1.1, beginning with Figure 3.4, which encompasses several prequalified groove weld joint details.  You'll probably need to get permission from the EOR to splice.  He may ask for the joint detail you plan to use and require that the joints to be tested by a qualified inspector.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-11-2009 17:32
FWIW, I merged these two threads, because they were essentially the same thing......
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 02-12-2009 05:06
did everyone quit reading from left to right, then down, its # 3 to me! :)
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 02-12-2009 11:59
I could have sworn that the first time I opened it, the top left was #1, the one next to it was #3, and the bottom was #2. 
Parent - - By norberto (*) Date 02-12-2009 10:44
My dear swnorris, I appreciate your clues and warning regarding EOR's requirements. It was nice.
a hug
Parent - By norberto (*) Date 02-12-2009 10:49
My dear ctacker, I clearly understood your meaning. Thanks anyway.
a hug
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Splicing H or I members by welding