Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Hard Facing Overlay (ASME IX)
- - By bert lee (**) Date 06-01-2009 14:14
Need your opinion.

Please refer to QW-453 Notes (2) page 145

The test coupon is for qualification in pipe, it was welded continuously around the circumference of the test coupon in 1G Rotated using SMAW process.
However, the welding direction of travel was longitudinal instead of transverse. There was no WPS available prior to the test.

I would like to know your opinion on correct welding direction. Is there a restriction that you must follow only the transverse or longitudinal direction for pipe coupon?

Since the welding was done in 1G position, up-hill progression is not a question here.

Thank you

Parent - - By bert lee (**) Date 06-05-2009 17:46
maybe the added attachment may give idea.
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 06-12-2009 19:16
I do not think the Code considers this an essential variable.

Is there a specific direction of flow of the abrasive media in relationship to the pipe centerline?
Parent - By bert lee (**) Date 06-13-2009 01:02
Bill,

there is no specific direction of flow.

thanks,
bert
Parent - - By bert lee (**) Date 06-13-2009 01:06 Edited 06-13-2009 01:12
Bill,

what is your interpretation of "welded continuously around the circumference of the test coupon"? does it means transverse direction?

what if the pipe test coupon welded in longitudinal direction, my counterpart told me to consider it as testing on plate to avoid retesting.

bert
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 06-13-2009 15:01
The actual wording is "The weld overlay shall be continuous around the circumference of the test coupon."  So there should be an overlay that is 1-1/2" wide that goes completely around the circumference of the pipe, as shown in QW-462.5(b).  It does not say anything about the direction of the weld beads.  That's a lot of short weld beads if the beads are transverse to the pipe axis.
Parent - - By bert lee (**) Date 06-13-2009 15:31
MBSims,

"It does not say anything about the direction of the weld beads."

but for 6G, you will encounter the uphill or downhill progression.

do you think both transverse and longitudinal travel direction is possible for 6G position?

thanks
bert
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 06-13-2009 15:44
No.  I don't think that would be permissible since 6G is intended to qualify all positions and the vertical position is not represented when using transverse beads, just flat, overhead and horizontal.  But for the flat position welding of 1G rotated, the orientation of the beads (transverese vs. longitudinal) really does not matter.
Parent - By bert lee (**) Date 06-13-2009 15:47
MBSims

Thanks a lot.

bert
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Hard Facing Overlay (ASME IX)