Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Origin of sayings
- - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 08-07-2009 21:29 Edited 08-07-2009 21:35
Origin of sayings

Id like to propose this ,call it a game / junk thread…..whatever.
Pick a saying and see what it means to each of us,or ask someone what it means to them.
For example…
Rule of thumb.
Without an internet research I think I’ve read that it derives from an old English law that states “you cannot beat your wife or Children with anything larger than your thumb”
after I post this I will  research it.
I think it would be fun to give a guess to them before research.
Then we can all comment.
  **just a suggestion from bashing our heads against the wall over the blatant A** raping we are getting frome the FEDS**
MDK
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 08-07-2009 23:49
In haz mat training we use to say use the rule of thumb.  Hold out your arm and thumb and if you can cover up the incident with your thumb you "might" be far enough away to be safe. 

Another one is "Watch your Canaries" !  (hint: related to above)   If you see dead critters laying around too late for evac you are way too close.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 08-07-2009 23:51
Oh it says "Origin" ooops I can't read need a nap lol
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-08-2009 03:30
The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

What would be the source of that one?
Parent - - By preston davis (**) Date 08-08-2009 06:18
in EOD, if you see me running, you better catch up
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-08-2009 10:14
I don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than you.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-08-2009 07:00
Check these out as well as my own interpretations of each one...

"Sex and politics are a lot alike. You don’t have to be good at them to enjoy them..." I mean, just look around!!! ;)

"It is a mathematical fact that fifty percent of all doctors graduate in the bottom half of their class..." Really??? Is that why there's so many medical mistakes ;)

"Close doesn’t count in baseball. Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades..." One either wins or loses and nothing in between matters! ;)

"I have a feeling that when my ship comes in I’ll be at the airport..." This is when one feels that they are in the wrong place at the wrong time!!! ;)

"The other day they asked me about mandatory drug testing. I said I believed in drug testing a long time ago. All through the sixties I tested everything..." Go ahead!!! At this age it wouldn't surprise me in passing!!! :) :) :)

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn’t even have the decency to thank her..." A blessing in disguise that was unacknowledged! ;)

"If at first you don’t succeed, try try again. Then quit. No sense being a damn fool about it." If you repeatedly fail at something then regroup, and approach it from a different angle instead of acting as if you were losing your sanity!!! :) :) ;)

"The world is getting to be such a dangerous place, a guy is lucky to get out of it alive..." Dying before your time of natural age is becoming harder to avoid lately!!! ;)

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes..." Self explanatory! That is unless the space between one's ears is non-existent... In other words; if you must be judgmental towards someone you don't know, it's always better to be as far away as possible from this person so that they understand the futility of hunting you down!!! :)

"To err is human; to pass air is also human..." In other words; "SH*T HAPPENS!!!" Then one farts to their heart's content. :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By darren (***) Date 08-09-2009 02:37
one of my favorites is " if i gave a $hit, you'd be the first person that i gave it to".
Parent - - By uphill (***) Date 08-09-2009 21:35
"Its daylight in the swamp" was heard in my home in the  early hours, the call to Hit the floor.

Had something to do with checking the muskrat traps before walking to school for my Mom during the depression.

Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 08-10-2009 13:44
what is the origin of "DOWN AND OUT"?
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-10-2009 14:55
Down-and-out is from 1889, Amer.Eng., from situation of a beaten prizefighter.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 08-10-2009 17:52
may have been but it was also a saying in 19th century logging camps. Popular belief today like yours holds that the expression
"daylight in the swamp" was a morning wake-up call coined in the logging woods of Wisconsin.
Actually, it was an expression that originated in Maine and had nothing to do with waking anyone.
It refers to the time when the pioneers of Maine were cutting down the trees in the lowlands and
swamps and, when a clearing was made, people said they had found, or could see, daylight in the
swamp.
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 08-10-2009 18:13
how about this one ...
Sound as a bell?
We all should know this one.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Origin of sayings