Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Help a newbie out
- - By Mark Jocus Date 09-04-2009 13:12
I am currently working on a project that requires pretty much every piece of steel in the unit to be welded, I am not a welder and I have looked everywhere to try and figure out what type of weld I am going to need to use to get the job done. Im new at this very small company, the only drafter/designer and we have next to nothing in the way of reference material or any kind of books on standards. I am basically using the internet to figure most of this stuff out. any information would be greatly appreciated, a point in the right direction, right now Im dead in the water.
Parent - - By Johnyutah (**) Date 09-04-2009 13:35
This may seem crazy but you could hire a welding company to help you out.
Parent - By Mark Jocus Date 09-04-2009 13:49
not a bad idea, thanks
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 09-04-2009 14:07
What does your contract state? (for the unit)
Parent - - By Mark Jocus Date 09-04-2009 14:37
The only mention of "welding" in the contract is the unit will be fabricated utilizing welded connections
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 09-04-2009 15:47
Did they give you a drawing,and does it have welding symbols?Do you have qualified welders at your place?
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 09-04-2009 15:26
Mark, Are you building a bridge in California, a storage unit in Ohio, a skyscraper in Dubai, A boat, car or plane or a BBQ for your neighbor? What code is referenced for the job? That would be a good start to helping answer your question.
Parent - - By Mark Jocus Date 09-04-2009 16:35
No, no welders here its a very small company. as for the job its building rail car turn tables and train lifts for a job in New Haven Connecticut, I should probably mention I am fresh out of school and had this job dumped on me...so I am very new to all of this, it has been extreamly frustrating.
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 09-04-2009 16:51
I would sub it out if I were you,and get the outfit to give you a certificate of conformance to a code.You say you have no welders,and I assume no welding equipement,or welding procedures,etc..It would be very costly on your end to start from ground zero (welding wise).
Parent - By Mark Jocus Date 09-04-2009 17:07
that sounds like the way to go, thanks
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-05-2009 04:24
A project like that requires a whole lot of structural and weld engineering, not a good one to "cut Your teeth" on.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Help a newbie out