Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Octagon revisited
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-07-2009 15:37 Edited 09-07-2009 15:45
Well after making a bazillion jigs to make cutting this stuff out easier, cut out 8 18" sections in about 10-15 minutes, both with 22.5 on each end. I finally got the sucker together, of course I had to build a jig or a tubing notcher so I could notch the tube for the pedestal legs on each end. Did not want to spend $80 on a fancy store bought so I spent $8 on two exhaust clamps and used some of the hoards of steel around the shop. One new hole saw and wa-la, tubing notcher. Worked frickin' AWESOME!!!

Anyhow, here are some pics of the finished, well almost finished. Still have to get the exterior coating on it. Gonna go see a guy about that tuesday and see what it's gonna cost. He could not give me a good number and wanted to see the finished product to give a firm price, or just shoot it and experiment to find out how long it's gonna take. I gotta say this was a wicked cool project. The math involved the angles, figuring all that stuff out was a great work-out for the ol' brain.

The first pic is of it all welded up. The second is my chalk board, my wife said it made her think of a college chalk board, it makes me laugh cause I can't believe I can keep all of that straight all scribbled all over the place!! The third is during the build up, had to grind off some of the notched ends to get the fit right. I wanted it 12" off the ground and once everything was welded up and measured I think I'm about 1/16th off.
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 09-07-2009 15:52
Shawn!

Woooow!

That looks awesome!

Congratulations to this really great and impressive outcome!

Stephan

P.S. Have learned additionally to Jeff's 'cackozillion' a new number... 'bazillion' LOL :-)
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-07-2009 16:56
"cackozillion" can't forget that post or the mind boggling language used in the explanations, needed a dictionary to figure that out.

Thanks for the compliment, I'm ready to do another one actually. This was cool. Thought about a decagon or a twelvagon, that would be cool too!
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 09-07-2009 17:30
Shawn,

is it about to begin again..? LOL!

Better not... otherwise we would end up with a cackozilliagon, or even worse... B A Z I L L I A G O N ! :-)

No...seriously, excellent handcraft, done by you!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-07-2009 18:53 Edited 09-07-2009 19:45
Hi Stephan!

Are you talking GOOGLEPLEXSIRIOTEBIBCLACKOQUANTUMQUADROZILLIONAGONS now??? :) :) :) Equivalent to one complete revolution around the known universe!!! ;) ;) ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-07-2009 22:57
"GOOGLEPLEXSIRIOTEBIBCLACKOQUANTUMQUADROZILLIONAGONS"

you must be going for the longest word on earth competition! LoL!

This "cackozillion" thing makes me think of the dodge site when someone new get's on there and says that they heard "ford owns Cummins" and away we go with the comments, "no ford owns NASA", "no ford owns Chevron" and much much more.
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 09-08-2009 07:38
Henry!

GOOGLEPLEXSIRIOTEBIBCLACKOQUANTUMQUADROZILLIONAGONS ?

I must agree with Shawn, saying that you must be going for this competition! :-)

Oh dear..! Shortly after I was recovered from Jeff's 'risible muscle attack', you are blowing off my light once again.

Hopefully I will survive..! LOL :-)

All the best,
Stephan
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-07-2009 16:38
The can of beer on the first photo looks like a can of soda.

Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-07-2009 16:54
felt like a can of beer while doing the stuff in the second photo except that would have made everything doubled or tripled!!
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-07-2009 17:14
The outcome would have been interesting :)
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 09-07-2009 17:52
really cool but what is it?? looks like a turret for some of the ASV's they build at work
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-07-2009 17:57
Better ask the OP about that.

Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-07-2009 18:00
a horse pedestal of all things. Don't ask me what they do with it, something about training and that is the extent of my knowledge.
Parent - - By JMCInc (**) Date 09-07-2009 18:28
How 'bout a pic of your tubing notcher?
Nice going.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-07-2009 18:39
I think I could do that, wife don't like me giving out my "secrets" like these nutty azz tools I come up with but with you guys on here, glad to share.
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 09-07-2009 22:30
nice homemade notcher
Parent - - By cajun welder (**) Date 09-07-2009 22:54
Very nice work, and very creative tubing notching. What size and schedule tubing were you using, and did one hole saw make it through the whole job? 
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-07-2009 23:06
It was 1 1/4 tube, common handrail tube, with a 1.66 OD. Used a 1 5/8 Lennox, Amazingly the holesaw did make it through the hole job, 16 cuts. Just went slow and steady, sat on a stool and listened to the radio. I wanted to make something fancy with adjustments on the bed but time got the better of me so I made it so it just bolts to the drill press bed where you can wiggle it around to get the pipe lined up on center. Now that I have time I'd like to improve it so I can swivel the front if I just want to do a quarter notch or something. That's a piece of stair tread I cut in half, 1" piece of square tube and a 1 1/2" piece of channel, two exhaust clamps and three used bolts under to hold to drill press...$8. That's my kind of price.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 09-07-2009 18:29
ohhh it must be like a walker that walks them in a circle or maybe not. What ever the hell it is sure does look cool lol

Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 09-07-2009 22:32
It's a pedestal used to train horses to step up and also bow to the crowd.
Parent - - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 09-07-2009 23:24
Nice job!  I did something similar a gazebo and the peak of the roof had a stucture on it like this.  We built it out of square tubing little easier to fit.  The time involved is amazing sure wouldn't try to bid a job like that. The compound angles on the rafters were the toughest part for us sometimes you can get to many opionons lol! or to much "help" :)
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-08-2009 02:33
Thought about square tube but horses with nothing but skin and bone on their shins and did'nt want any hard angles. I was thinking hexagon and the client suggested an octagon. At least I'm set up now for notching handrailing tube! :-)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-08-2009 11:24
Neat coffee table....LOL...are you going to cut a piece of glass to make a top for it?
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 09-08-2009 12:30
John!

Must say: "You are simply unique!"

" Neat coffee table..." :-)

That's almost better than Henry's GOOGLEPLEXSIRIOTEBIBCLACKOQUANTUMQUADROZILLIONAGON LOL! :-):-):-)
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-09-2009 12:33
Actually when you flip it so the small side is down and the large up.......I can see a coffee table, perhaps a travertene top with the steel done in an antique powder coat finish?
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 09-08-2009 02:29
Very nice
Parent - By jffluxcore (**) Date 09-08-2009 18:18 Edited 09-09-2009 19:10
Shawn very nice worl.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Octagon revisited