Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / FCAW overhead
- - By swsweld (****) Date 09-22-2009 18:43
Can anyone recommend a good self shielded FCAW wire for OH position? A36 steel 2"-3" thick PJP, single bevel. I have tried NR-233 and NR-232 and don't want to buy any more wire to find out it doesn't weld very good. We are set up for 1/16" wire. Running off of a S 32 P suitcase powered by a Trailblazer Pro 350 Diesel.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-22-2009 19:15
If I'm not mistaken all of the S-32 series feeders are CC/CV voltage sensing feeders

The Lincoln website has data on electrode extension and voltage/WFS for these electrodes.. Strict attention to the specific manufacturers data on extension may help get the profiles a bit better.  So check the extension you are currently using vs what Lincoln recommends and see if there is a difference..

If you are using Constant current this will make for a much more sensitive situation with self shielded FCAW.

This is why D1.1 does not consider Constant Current GMAW/FCAW to be a prequalified process... Anything with this type of power supply/feeder system requires full procedure qualification per section 4.

D1.1 Says
"3.2.4 FCAW and GMAW Power Sources. FCAW
and GMAW that is done with prequalified WPSs shall
be performed using constant voltage (CV) power
supplies."
Parent - - By jffluxcore (**) Date 09-23-2009 21:14
If it a cv welder, fluxcore 8 by esab.
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 09-24-2009 02:39
Yes, the wire feeder is CC/CV. I also use an ESAB Mobile Master wire feeder. The Lincoln rep said to run the NR-232 1/16" wire at 22V and 100ipm. I was busy with the 5/64" wire but the other welder didn't have very good results with the NR-232 wire. I didn't have time to play with it so it's possible that he didn't have it dialed in but i did run it a week ago and wasn't impressed. But after running NS3M wire nothing that I have run comes close.

I've got about a week before we do the OH weld so I might try another brand (ESAB) Just don't want to wind up sticking it out.

Thanks Lawrence and jffluxcore for the replies.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / FCAW overhead