Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / portable heating oven (quiver)
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By bert lee (**) Date 10-23-2009 15:23
our welders are very stubborn, even though how many times you tell them, they don't want to use their quiver to store the low hydrogen electrodes (E7016 / 7018). reason given is "electrodes are always behind our jeans back pocket every day but our welded joints are always 100% passed the UT or RT...so what is the problem?"

will you agree? is there any affect on mechanical properties of the weld?

bert

Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-23-2009 15:41
Is every weld inspected?

No mechanical properties is affected by it - or is there??? Electrode manufacturer only garantie the specified values if the electrodes are stored according to their recommendations :)

Search this forum for Al's "baby oil" test.

Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 10-23-2009 15:46
Al's baby oil test still hasn't been proven to be hydrogen evolution. 
Smile Al.   :)
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-23-2009 16:15
Are you saying that Al has a hidden agenda with his baby oil?

3.2 :)
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 10-23-2009 16:39
LMAO!!!!!
Not hidden at all. I think his agenda is quite clear.
PAY ATTENTION TO THE POSSIBLILITY OF HYDROGEN CRACKING MORONS!!!!!!
Perhaps I state it too strongly.  :)
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-24-2009 14:29 Edited 10-24-2009 15:28
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him wear a bikini! ;)

I'm referring to the welders, not you JS.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 10-23-2009 15:44
You are given a certain amount of time that they don't have to be at temp. Though it can be tough to verify.
As for mechanical properties, yes and no. If the hydrogen continues to exist in the microstructure there can be some threat to cracking. But what materials, what thicknesses, what stresses, and if the service is a high temp service then all bets are off.
Parent - - By bert lee (**) Date 10-23-2009 17:03
100% UT for complete join penetration weld.

it's for structural steel (D1.1); thickness varies from 10mm to 25mm ; BS4360 grade 50

bert
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 10-23-2009 17:16
What is BS4360 Grade 50?
And I don't think UT helps (it doesn't hurt). H cracking is notorious for taking some time to get around to its insidious damage.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-23-2009 19:58
Hello bert, I would just like to include a few comments to your questions/statements. The manufacturers specify and include very specific identifications on the rods to give information regarding the moisture resistance of low-hydrogen electrodes. This alone should be a pretty decent indicator to the welders that this is of importance. Arguably, there are certainly grey-areas as to how much is too much and other such issues, yet it still stands to reason that this point is of a fairly substantial importance. When you look at the complete picture of any weldment or fabricated item there are numbers of factors that come into play concerning how well the item will serve it's purpose, the quality of the materials and consumables, the level of quality it has been built to, the skill and attention paid by the fabricator/welder, the QC, the accuracy of the engineering utilized to design it, it's safety, etc. Hopefully, an item has enough of a built-in safety factor that any one individual point won't make the overall item a risk or failure. Yet to insure that a particular point doesn't become the straw that broke the camel's back, the welders should take rod storage as a consideration worth following. Maybe highlighting some of these point to your welders might provide them with a little push to pay attention to the rod storage concerns. Just a bit to consider. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-23-2009 22:14
The whole thing sounds fishey..  Process out of control

Are the welders actually taking 200-250 degree hot electrodes and putting them in their pockets??  come on now!

Are they working outdoors with electrodes in their pockets, bumping and chipping and getting rained on???

If they are in the shop... Why SMAW?

The other folks have already stressed the import of climate control.. It would not be in the code or in the manufacturers literature if it were of no consiquence.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 10-23-2009 22:10
Welds can pass NDE all day long and yesterday, but the NDE is ONLY telling you if you have discontinuities. It is not telling you anything about the mechanical/chemical properties of that weld. Delayed cracking, or SCC (stress corrossion cracking) are potentials when you do not control the welding process properly. That includes the hydrogen in the weld.
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 10-23-2009 23:37
bert says his welders are "very stubborn".
I say that in the fields I've worked in they would soon become "very unemployed" if they can't abide.
Sounds simple because it is.

I see the same thing in the discussions here about arc burns, to paraphrase it usually goes similar to "how can I get these welders to realize that arc burns are a problem"?
Again, in my fields the answer is the same as above.

You guys must work in fields where it's very difficult to find, or replace employees who won't do thier job correctly.
I've seen a lot of welders go down the road for those two things over the years, and rightly so.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 10-24-2009 01:52
Let's see...my tires are bald, the ball joints are loose, and brake fluid puddles wherever I park my car.  But I drive slowly past the school and I ease up to the stop signs...so what's the big deal?

Steel is a very "weld tolerant" material and electrode fluxes are made to be moisture resistant, so today it is not uncommon to use electrodes that have not been in heated ovens, and still not see any problems with the welds.  But a lot of very smart people had learned that hydrogen in welds caused nasty things to happen- like Liberty ships breaking in two halfway across the Atlantic Ocean- and those welds broke many days after the welds were made.  Disasters like that don't have to happen if the hydrogen levels are controlled.
Parent - - By bert lee (**) Date 10-24-2009 05:24
BS 4360 Gr 50 is comparable to P1 materials, (it is now called BS EN 10025 S355).

thanks for all the good points you shared.

bert
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-24-2009 15:26 Edited 10-24-2009 15:34
Quality control is less costly to the employer than a single failure that can cause injuries, loss or life, equipment failure, loss production, loss profits, and loss of the business (read bankruptcy).

Codes are developed over time and changes to those codes are often tied to lessons learned from failures. While we in the welding community can learn how to prevent failures, the companies involved with the failure may not have survived the aftermath and resulting civil actions and/or criminal actions.

There is nothing dry about some sweaty assed welder on a summer day. The pockets of the welder are not environmentally friendly to those covered electrodes that are required by code and common sense to be kept dry. Let that welder that claims his pockets are dry run his hand up and down the cleavage of his butt cheeks or between his thighs and then tell you there is no moisture and I’ll show you a final check and a pink slip that says “Fired for insubordination and plain stupidity”!

Amongst the employer’s responsibilities is the need to provide proper work instructions to the employees to ensure the requirements of the customer’s purchase order are fulfilled and the requirements of the applicable welding standard are met. Once those instructions are issued, be they right or wrong, the employee’s responsibilities include following those instructions unless there is a recognized danger or health risk involved. If the employee will not or cannot follow the work instructions then it is incumbent on the employer to address the situation. Different states and different countries have different labor laws on how disciplinary actions are handled. In some cases the employee has union representation, but in any event the employer has a responsibility to take the necessary action required to ensure the work performed meets the requirements of the purchase order.

I have found that simply pulling the certifications so the welder can no longer weld can be the action required. If the welder isn’t qualified for the work he or she can no longer work on the projects requiring such certification and it may result in reassignment to a lower pay grade or termination.

Covered electrodes, bare electrodes, or tubular electrodes have to be protected. The work instructions developed by the employer should address how the required level of protection is to be achieved. Covered electrodes should not be “stored” in the welder’s trouser pockets. Bare wire should not be left out on the work bench or beside the work bench where they are exposed to the grit and grime of the shop environment. Tubular electrode (or bare electrode) should not be left on the machine’s wire feeder for prolonged periods if they are not being used for production work for the same reasons bare rod shouldn’t be exposed to the dirt and grime of the shop environment.

AWS states that the low hydrogen covered electrodes must be used within a certain period of time once they are removed from the heated electrode holding oven. Electrodes that have been wet shall not be used. Those requirements are based on "lessons learned" and sound engineering principles.  

The production floor is not a democracy. Everyone does not have a vote or a say in how things are done on the shop floor. While the enlightened employer may allow for input from the production workers, management has the final say and those management decisions have to be followed in order to ensure the safety of the workers, safety of the customers, and the safety of the general public. Hopefully, a profit can be made so wages can be paid and stockholders and owners can make a return on their investment. Mavericks that refuse to follow the work rules be they welders, inspectors, or forklift drivers can jeopardize the well being of everyone involved.

I had to visit a lawyer on Thursday to prepare for a civil action against a fabricator/erector because they didn’t do what they had agreed to do. The fabricator/erector is being sued for $250,000 because they made a material substitution and didn’t follow the engineer’s design drawings. It was fortunate that no one was injured, but they will have to pay for damages, loss of profits, and the cost of repairing the facility where the failure occurred as a direct result of the unauthorized material substitution and the subsequent failure of several welds. While the amount of money isn’t huge, it represents a lot of money to the small contractor that employs five or six people.

As for those that take the position that there is nothing wrong unless something breaks, I support their position, because when it does break, I get to testify as an expert witness and that helps pay my bills. There’s nothing wrong with walking on thin ice until it breaks. The codes are intended to help us identify the thin ice, if you chose to ignore the warning, don’t whine and complain while you are drowning in the cold water.

Best regards – Al
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 10-24-2009 15:29
I don't get it, who's in control of the workplace?
Do these companies let welders stroll in 2 or 3 hours after starting time?
Do they let them grind without safety glasses or face shields?
Throw their hard hat in the trash and weld in flip flops? Because they are stubborn?
I'm really missing something here but I don't know what it is, because the environments I've always worked in (welding and non welding) the employer set the rules in place and the employees either complied with those rules or was fired.

So somebody help me out and explain what part of this I don't get. All I can think of is that supervision agrees with the welders and won't back up the requirements either. Maybe that's it.

JTMcC.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-24-2009 15:44
"Stupid is as stupid does."

Those words seem appropriate.

You most likely hit the nail on the head JT. Supervision is lax because they don't understand the implications of using low hydrogen electrodes that have been exposed to excessive amounts of moisture. After all, you can't see hydrogen, you can't taste hydrogen, and you can't smell hydrogen, so how big a problem can it be? Electrodes in the welder's pockets, how bad can that be unless he ate a burrito the evening before.

I have a brother-in-law from the great state of Texas. He say's "Some people are so stupid they shouldn't be allowed to reproduce!"

I've modified his words to say, "Some companies are so stupid they shouldn't be in business." Darwin is at work and thriving in the business world, because "stupid" companies usually fail sooner or later as a direct result of their stupidity.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-24-2009 16:13
Bert:

You could print out this thread and pin it up on the breakroom bullitin board!

Might help gain "consesus", since that appears to be the way things are currently running
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 10-25-2009 14:08
If it was me I woeld contact the shop management about this problem, with supporting documentation proving my point. Then ask for a memo to be read or posted with consequences for each infraction of the new rule, then viciuosly enforce it after a few reprimands or possible firing. The stubborn welders will see your line of thinking. I worked as a welder in the field for years and you are required to keep low hydrogens in the small 10 lbs. ovens and plugged in even while climbing around on the steel.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-30-2009 14:52
Bert,
  It sounds as if you have this handled but I thought I would throw this out there for you and others in the future. If you are working to AWS D1.1 see table 5.1 note 3.

Note 3. Electrodes shall be issued and held in quivers, or other small open containers. Heated containers are not mandatory.

Code requirement.

jrw159
Parent - - By bert lee (**) Date 10-30-2009 16:26
jrw159,

what does it mean "heated containers are not mandatory"?

bert
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-30-2009 16:50 Edited 10-30-2009 17:02
There are small electrode holding pouches or even better small sealed mini-rod holders that can dispense single electrodes without having to open the top.  A welder can take a small number electrodes from the oven and put them in the mini-holder to keep them at hand.

I'll see if I can get a pic.

Edit:

Here is the thing I was talking about.   "A Pheonix Dry Rod"  

See the little round handle,  Just push it up and an electrode end pops up. Everything else stays dry.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-01-2009 13:39
Bert,
  Sorry it took so long to reply. It means that your "quiver" does not need to be heated. Basically your electrodes go from the oven to a hot box. Then one can use a few electrodes at a time out of the hot box and keep them in the "quiver".

For example a welder might be issued a hot box and "XX" number of electrodes out of the oven. He/she then takes these "XX" number of electrodes and the hot box to the work site. He/she can then pull 2 or 3, depending on how fast they are being used, and keep them in the "quiver".

jrw159
Parent - - By bert lee (**) Date 11-01-2009 18:04
jrw159,

my understanding of "quiver" is a portable oven or hot box that you can carry along while doing welding.

do you have a photo of quiver?

bert
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-01-2009 20:32
The quivers I am talking about are a leather pouch made to carry electrodes in so they are not in your pockets being subjected to sweat and the bending and subsequent flux damage associated with said practice. From what I see they are using the term "quiver" to cover pretty much all temporary electrode containmet devices.

I will see if I can find a pic of one.

jrw159
Parent - - By bert lee (**) Date 11-02-2009 13:39
hi jrw159,

this is the electrode quiver that i know.

i have not seen those leather type quiver.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-02-2009 13:45 Edited 11-02-2009 15:25
Bert,
  Look at the pic in Waccobirds post. Please note that a "quiver" and a "hot box" are not the same. Quivers, be they metal temporary storage containers or leather, are not meant to hold a bunch of electrodes and have no heat source. A hot box is meant to hold several electrodes at a time and has a heat source. Hot boxes are most often subject to the same temperature inspection as the oven itself.

jrw159
Parent - - By bert lee (**) Date 11-02-2009 13:57
jrw159

will you consider my photo as a hot box? same as those bench oven?

the oven normally has knob that you can adjust the temp whereas my photo has no knob, the temp is slightly warm only.

bert
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 11-02-2009 14:02
Go to ESAB's homepage, there you will find how to storage your electrodes.

http://products.esab.com/Templates/T041.asp?id=92952

Parent - - By bert lee (**) Date 11-02-2009 14:15

it simlar to my photo which i thought quiver.  it should be dry-storage container with storage temperature of around 100°C.

this is the type of portable electrode storage being used in my place

it is important to know the proper term....i always thought it is a "quiver"

bert
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 11-02-2009 14:18
It is usually refered to as "Heated Quivers"

Parent - - By bert lee (**) Date 11-02-2009 14:30

convincing... will you demand for heated or non heated quiver for welder to use?

bert
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 11-02-2009 14:38
Bert,

The electrodes should be baked at 350 C for 2 hours, then put in a "storage oven" at about 150 C and finally in the heated quiver at 80-100 C.
This is not my demand, but ESAB's recommendations.
Go to www.esab.com there you will find exactly how to handle your electrodes.

Parent - - By bert lee (**) Date 11-02-2009 14:51

thanks, i like your contribution to the subject.

i'm becoming confuse now on whether to follow ESAB recommendation or jrw159 interpreation "It means that your "quiver" does not need to be heated'.

bert
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 11-02-2009 14:57
Bert,
You should not follow jrw159 or my recommendations, you need to follow what is stated in your contract and/or code of construction.
Specs and codes often refers to the electrode manufacturers recommendations.

Which electrode brand are you using?

Parent - - By bert lee (**) Date 11-02-2009 15:15

mostly kobelco, sometimes esab.

bert
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 11-02-2009 15:19
Bert,

Then just follow their instructions, unless your client or code has aditional requirements.
If you can't find it on their homepage, just give them a call.

Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-02-2009 15:21 Edited 11-02-2009 15:56
Bert,
  What is the governing code? D1.1?

You stated in an earlier post this line. "it's for structural steel (D1.1);"

I can only assume from this that you are working to D1.1.

If this is indeed the case then the code is what has to be adhered to. AWS D1.1 2008 5.3.2.1 states Immediately after opening the hermetically sealed container, electrodes SHALL be stored in ovens held at a temperature of AT LEAST 250 F [150 C].

Now you would see table 5.1 in the above mentioned code. Note three states: Electrodes shall be issued and held in quivers, or other small open containers. Heated quivers are not mandatory.

There is a 4 hour max exposure time from the oven before they need to be returned to the oven at 250 F for a hold time of 4 hours before being reissued. See AWS D1.1 5.3.2.2 for this information.

jrw159
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 11-02-2009 18:34
I am curious....

jrw159 wrote: >There is a 4 hour max exposure time from the oven before they need to be returned to the oven at 250 F for a hold time of 4 hours before being reissued. See AWS D1.1 5.3.2.2 for this information.<

How many times can this continue?

Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-02-2009 19:21

>How many times can this continue?

See AWS D1.1:2008 para. 5.3.2.2 (last sentence in para.)
Electrodes exposed to the atmostphere for periods less than those allowed by column A, Table 5.1 may be returned to a holding oven maintained @ 250°F min; after a min. hold period of 4 hours at 250°F min. the electrodes may be reissued.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-02-2009 20:13
Until they are gone or get wet. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 11-02-2009 18:35
Sorry for double post.
In my eager to make the quote look correct, I messed more up :)

Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-02-2009 18:42
5. Fabrication
SECTION 5. FABRICATION AWS D1.1/D1.1M:2004

"5.3.2.1 Low-Hydrogen Electrode Storage Conditions.
All electrodes having low hydrogen coverings conforming
to AWS A5.1 and AWS A5.5 shall be purchased
in hermetically sealed containers or shall be baked by the
user in conformance with 5.3.2.4 prior to use. Immediately
after opening the hermetically sealed container,
electrodes shall be stored in ovens held at a temperature
of at least 250°F [120°C]. Electrodes shall be rebaked no
more than once. Electrodes that have been wet shall not
be used."
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 11-02-2009 18:43
Interesting.

Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 11-02-2009 19:22
I don't see what is so interesting, it is just the Code referenced. There is also clauses in the Code with tests of conditions that can increase the hours that the electrode is away from the oven. Probably if they were done in some places it would lower the hours of ideal Electrode condition.
These times are just standards developed as guides/ allowances. But as you know every welding station doesn't have the same conditions
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 11-10-2009 13:01
It is interesting because it looks more stringent than most electrode manufactorer recommends.

Parent - - By bert lee (**) Date 11-03-2009 12:19
jrw159,

although heated quiver is not mandatory but i think it is preferable than those leather quiver.

heated quiver gives more confident that your electrodes don't exceed the 4 hour max exposure.

i have seen many inspectors complaining about non heated electrodes in welder's quiver.

there was an incident in my place where a very strict inspector likes to scold those welders who never plug their quivers, one day, they know that this inspector will walk around to check their quivers....before the inspector reach their position, they purposely used a cutting torch to heat up the top cover of their quivers....so when the inspector open the top cover with his bare hand.....ooouch!!!! since then, no more checking was happened :). that inspector believed "Heated quivers are not mandatory" :)

have a nice day

bert
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 11-03-2009 12:45
Bert,
  I would agree that heated quivers are preferable. The leather quiver is to eliminate the need to carry them in ones back pocket, which I thought was the whole point of this thread. IE from the heated quiver to the leather quiver instead of the back pocket, thus eliminating sweat from contaminating the rod and rendering it useless and subjecting it to flux damage.

Heated or not, if they are not kept at 250F the 4 hours applies.

Contract or company specifications may address the issue of heated quivers but if they do not the inspector can complain all they want but they do not have a leg to stand on. No inspector should be going above and beyond what is in the code and specification just because they "prefer" one thing over another.

Now I guess I am one of those "strict" inspectors because I am not lax in what I do and I do not turn a blind eye to things that do not conform with the code and specification no matter if the welders like it or want to whine and cry about it. I go by the code and specifications period. And further more, if code and specification required me to make sure the heated quivers were plugged in and working properly a little "trick" such as you describe would earn that welder a swift asswhoopin after work in the parking lot and IF he was able to make it in to work the next day he would be sporting not one but TWO very black eye's.  And I would continue to make the required checks. This you can count on partner. :-)

Best regards,
jrw159
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 11-03-2009 13:52
jrw159

I feel just about the same.
Except the welder found not in conformance to the specification would be terminated.
I quit whipping A$$ when I became a CWI. LoL
Good Posts John
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / portable heating oven (quiver)
1 2 Previous Next