Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Electric or Engine Driven Air Compressor
- - By Erik Irvine (*) Date 11-09-2009 01:24
I am in the process of assembling a welding trailer for use on random jobs around town that keep popping up. Mainly general repair and fabrication with possible heavy equipment repair in the future. Should I be looking at engine driven air compressors, or an electric one that will run off my Bobcat 250? I will be towing around a 8 foot truck service body trailer with the Bobcat mounted in front (on the A-frame section). I have enough room for a engine driven one, but will it be worth the extra $$$ instead of starting up the Bobcat. This is a one man band, so no benifit having one guy running air tools while another welds of the welder.

Thanks for the input guys,

Erik Irvine
Parent - By nevadanick (**) Date 11-09-2009 01:40
unless you want to use a carbon arc
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 11-09-2009 01:54
You will be happier with an engine drive compressor. Starting load is pretty high on a decent size electric comp.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-09-2009 02:52
It really depends on how much air You need. You should be able to run a 5 HP industrial compressor from the Bobcat, perhaps a 7.5 HP if You get one that starts easily. The 5 HP will give about 16-17 CFM @ 90 PSI This ia roughly equal to a 10 HP engine driven compressor.

A friend of mine runs a 7.5 HP Quincy from His Trailblazer 301 with 10 KW Aux. power.

The situation of running an air arc or a plasma cutter that needs full welder/generator power and air at the same time could be a deciding factor as well.

A friend of mine ran a 1HP compressor and an Esab 625 plasma from a Lincoln G8 [similar to a Ranger 8] on His truck, He got by with it. I don't know if it would support full output on the plasma with the compressor running, I doubt it would.
Parent - - By Erik Irvine (*) Date 11-09-2009 12:06
Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't even consider the starting amperage requirements. I don't plan on running a carbon arc or plasma cutter initially but you never know whats down the road. For now I was going to buy one big enough to handle running a die grinder non-stop, and other basic stuff like an impact gun etc. I'll start shopping for a used engine driven one, and if I don't find a decent one for a god price, I'll go buy an electric one from the store. Thanks again guys!
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 11-10-2009 00:19
I run my air compressor off the 240 plug and find that to be the best hook-up,when it is run from 110 you do not have the starting amps required and the breaker will keep triping when the motor is cold.
Parent - By empire welding (**) Date 11-14-2009 21:51
this is the one i run on my truck. Works great. two stage so when you air arc or run a  one inch gun it keeps up pretty good.  I also added two ten gallon air tanks that are used on semi trucks and plumbed them in to the line.  Now i have 50 gallons of capacity. I would recommend at least a300 amp machine if you air arc a lot on heavy equip. hope this helps.    http://www.ohiopowertool.com/p-710-ingersoll-rand-13hp-two-stage-honda-gas-engine-compressor-walternator-2475f13gh-quick-ship.aspx
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Electric or Engine Driven Air Compressor