Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / About ASME IX Welder qulification!
- - By playboy1898 (*) Date 12-03-2009 08:38 Edited 12-03-2009 10:08
Dear Sir or Madam:
I am very glad to exchange the experience with you!
About ASME IX Welder qulification, I have a question to ask the expert. when we do the welder exam, we use 2 welders to weld one 20mm grooved weld test. Welder A deposite 15mm, welder B deposite 5mm. what's the range of the welder qualified? only the thickness range!
Welder A+Welder B qualified range?
Welder A qualified range?
Welder B qualified range?
If we have 50mm plate to weld, can we use this welder A deposite 20mm+welder B deposite 10mm+welder A deposite 20mm?
the other question:
the welder qulification range:
All (Not include 1⁄2 (13) and over?)                                                                   2t
1⁄2 (13) and over with a minimum of three layers                                 Maximum to be welded(means:weld metal thickness is Unlimited?)

Thank you for your great help!
Parent - - By spots (**) Date 12-03-2009 13:37
20mm = .787 inches
15mm = .591 inches
5mm = .197 inches

A simple program for performing a variety of conversions can be found here:
http://wscope.com/convert.htm

Before I begin I strongly suggest you get professional help or education. This fundamental lack of knowledge will be expensive for you and your company and might get someone killed.

There are many people here that will help you set up your program for a small fee.

You can sign up for a class in Houston, TX on February 22-24 here:

http://catalog.asme.org/Education/ShortCourse/BPV_Code_Section_IX_Welding.cfm?ProgramNumber=SC3607&CFNoCache=TRUE

The cost is about $1600 American, figure on an additional $1000 for the hotel and at least $200 for meals while you are there. WORTH EVERY DOLLAR

There is a program developed by one of the members of the Section IX committee that takes a lot of the guesswork out of WPQ/WPS writing:
http://www.cspec.com/

Welder A+Welder B qualified range?  QW-452.1 (b) Make sure you look at notes 1-3

Welder A qualified range? QW-452.1 (b) Make sure you look at notes 1-3

Welder B qualified range? QW-452.1 (b) Make sure you look at notes 1-3

If we have 50mm plate to weld, can we use this welder A deposit 20mm+welder B deposit 10mm+welder A deposit 20mm? -  Yes, QW-452.1 (b) welder A is qualified for unlimited as long as there are more than 3 layers of weld metal, you do not need welder B.

Maximum to be welded(means:weld metal thickness is Unlimited?) - The welder is limited to the maximum listed on your weld procedure (WPS)

Again,
I strongly suggest you get professional help or education. This fundamental lack of knowledge will be expensive for you and your company and might get someone killed.

There are many people here that will help you set up your program for a small fee.

You can sign up for a class in Houston, TX on February 22-24 here:

http://catalog.asme.org/Education/ShortCourse/BPV_Code_Section_IX_Welding.cfm?ProgramNumber=SC3607&CFNoCache=TRUE

The cost is about $1600 American, figure on an additional $1000 for the hotel and at least $200 for meals while you are there. WORTH EVERY DOLLAR

There is a program developed by one of the members of the Section IX committee that takes a lot of the guesswork out of WPQ/WPS writing:
http://www.cspec.com/
Parent - By playboy1898 (*) Date 12-03-2009 14:44 Edited 12-03-2009 15:13
Dear spot:
Thank you for your suggestion!
I still do not sure:
If welder A olny qualified 15mm,and welder B olny qualified 15mm, then they can weld thickness 30mm/1.181"  weldment with welder A deposite 15mm+welder B deposite 15mm?  We don't need consider the parent material thickness when we use welder?Only weld metal thickness we need to control?
Parent - By spots (**) Date 12-03-2009 19:38
I rest my case.
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 12-04-2009 03:05 Edited 12-04-2009 03:07
Welder A is qualified for a maximum deposited weld metal thickness of 30 mm if the qualification weld was not made with at least 3 layers.

Welder A is qualified for unlimited deposited weld metal thickness if the qualification weld was made with at least 3 layers.

Welder B is qualified for a maximum deposited weld metal thickness of 10 mm.

"If we have 50mm plate to weld, can we use this welder A deposite 20mm+welder B deposite 10mm+welder A deposite 20mm?"   No, this is not permitted if Welder A did not use at least 3 layers in the qualification test.  It is permitted as mentioned above if at least 3 layers were used.  There is an published ASME Code Interpretation that addresses this question.  I will find it tomorrow and post a copy.

"All" refers to all test coupon thicknesses, regardless of the number of layers.  If the welder deposits at least 1/2" (13 mm) of weld metal in the test coupon using at least 3 layers of weld metal for the welding process, then the welder is qualified for all deposited weld metal thicknesses in groove welds (meaning unlimited thickness).
Parent - By playboy1898 (*) Date 12-04-2009 06:05
Dear MBSims:
Thank you for your very good explain!
1.Welder A is qualified for unlimited deposited weld metal thickness if the qualification weld was made with at least 3 layers.
But in ASME IX -2007 is Maximum to be welded, not unlimited!
according to Mr. Spots idea, (Maximum to be welded) The welder is limited to the maximum listed on your weld procedure (WPS)
But by who's WPS? By this welder's exam WPS? or all Maximum thickness in WPS of company?
2."If we have 50mm plate to weld, can we use this welder A deposite 20mm+welder B deposite 10mm+welder A deposite 20mm?"   No, this is not permitted if Welder A did not use at least 3 layers in the qualification test!
If we change the case like below:
Welder A is qualified for a maximum deposited weld metal thickness of 30 mm if the qualification weld was not made with at least 3 layers.
Welder B is qualified for a maximum deposited weld metal thickness of 10 mm
Welder C is qualified for a maximum deposited weld metal thickness of 30 mm if the qualification weld was not made with at least 3 layers.
Welder D is qualified for a maximum deposited weld metal thickness of 10 mm
The same we have 50mm plate need to be weld. can we use this welder A deposite 20mm+welder B deposite 10mm+welder C deposite 20mm? If welder C is ok,why welder A can not? Because they have the same qualification!
or welder A deposite 20mm+welder B deposite 10mm+welder C deposite 10mm+welder D deposite 10mm?
I am very glad to see you in this very good welding forum!
Thank you again for your attention!
Best!
David
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / About ASME IX Welder qulification!