Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Double Fillet Help
- - By mholland Date 12-16-2009 21:01
I am reviewing a print from a customer and have a question regarding AWS A2.4 interpretation.  I have a joggled piece of sheet metal welded to strut.  The weld call out on the drawing shows a double fillet pointing to the edge as depicted on my attached drawing.  Is my interpretation correct, or should this drawing be revised?
Attachment: weld.pdf (116k)
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 12-16-2009 22:01
Looks ok.
I think that the blend area should be called out in detail.
Fillet weld both sides
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-16-2009 22:07
First off "WELDCOME TO THE WORLD'S GREATEST WELDING FORUM!!! :) :) :)" Since this is your first of hopefully many posts in here, I would like to say that the person who drew the drawing has caused all of the confusion you're experiencing here... The entire intent of the drawing is incorrect!!! Please let me elaborate if I may...

First off, the view that has the welding symbol pointing toward is is incorrect because it uses two sets of object lines to represent the bends shown on that piece of plate in what is either the side or the front view which would make more sense because after all it does represent the best overal shape of what the part is supposed to look like when assembled together... Instead of those two object lines, there should be one object line then one hidden line where each bend is represented in the view with the welding symbol... So that where the confusion begins and once again, it's probably the fault of someone inexperienced enough to make correct drawings in the first place! My friend Al can give you many, many war stories which had all different types of mistakes on the drawings that it was a miracle that anything at all was completed in a timely manner, and I've seen my own fair share of clusterfu@ks as well.. So that where the problem originates...

The welding symbol is a fillet weld deposit on both sides of the arrow (Meaning Both on the arrow side, or near side as well as the other, or far side even though "near and far" are no longer standard AWS nomenclature.). The problem with this fillet weld both sides welding symbol is the fact that there is no size dimension listed anywhere in the welding symbol, and for material such Ti 6Al 4V there should definitely be a specific size listed especially for the thickness being used...

So what I would do if I were you is to go to the person who drew this drawing and confirm that this person meant to draw hidden lines where there is a solid object line instead @ the two locations in the drawing where the welding symbols is pointing at... And then ask what size fillet leg size do they want to be deposited especially when working with the thickness of .060, and also ask if they want the weld to be continuous, or intermittent, and if they want intermittent deposits, ask them if they want them staggered or not and what the size of each weld deposit length would be, and also the Center to Center spacing and/or pitch would be for each deposit and, the specific start and stop locations throughout both sides of the joint so that you can properly lay out the welds and dimension them accordingly to their appropriate locations as per design! No disrespect, but I don't agree with your interpretation FWIW. ;)

But it's not your fault after all, it's the clumsiness of the person who drew the drawing whom I wouldn't call a competent, or experienced with many different types of welding symbols, and joint configurations type of drafter because then this person would have gone out of their way express all of the details I mentioned that are obviously missing in the drawing in it's present form. :) So get in touch with the decision makers, and ask the diplomatically, so as not to blatantly damage their overly sensitive egos regarding the details I pointed out to you, and work with them to resolve the issues you need to clarify so that you can intelligently produce this part in the way it was meant to be produced - CAPECHE??? :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 12-17-2009 10:52
mholland
Welcome to the Forum.
I see all that Henry has pointed to and I might add that the location of the arrow is pointing to an area with out a land to be able to produce a fillet weld. Is there weld deposited on the flush area. If not the weld symbol might reflect the fillet weld on other side and have typical in the tail.
If weld is to be deposited on the flushed area then I would change the fillet weld symbol on the arrow side. and if there is a machining operation required that should be included also.
Hope this helps more than hurts.
Again WELCOME and Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-17-2009 17:57 Edited 12-17-2009 18:00
Hi Marshall!

Yep! So it seems (Pardon the pun! ;) ) that on each side of the joint the length of fillet weld to be deposited will be where it is clearly shown in the adjacent view which doesn't have the incomplete and incorrect welding symbol pointing to an object line... So the length of the fillet weld for one side starts on one end and terminates just as one reaches the second bend of the 0.60 plate of Ti 6Al 4V and the same thing occurs on the other side of the joint yet nowhere on the joint is the weld to deposited exactly on the opposite side of each other to show that there is to be a fillet weld both sides deposited.

So right away that also tells me that the fillet weld both sides welding symbol is incorrect, and instead, what the drafter should have put in it's place is a welding symbol with one weld symbol of a fillet weld resting on the arrow side of the reference line with two arrow lines pointing exactly where the fillet weld is to be deposited on either side of the joint, or just a pair of simple welding symbols with a fillet weld symbol on the arrow side with a dimension for the leg size of the fillet weld in it's proper location within each of the welding symbols as well as each welding symbol being located on both sides of the view that clearly shows where there are both locations representing where the fillet welds are to be deposited.

And situated so as to avoid as much clutter as possible because we're not looking a a very complicated assembly that consists of multiple parts that make up the assembly here... We are only looking at two parts, so there should be more than enough adequate area and space within the drawing's borders to properly and proportionately lay out my suggestions of using either multiple arrow lines on one welding symbol, or multiple welding symbols on either side of the view which clearly depicts the locations where the fillet welds are to be deposited as well as the size of the fillet weld as well.

So that the welder clearly understands what type of weld, the size of the weld and anything else that is required for the welder to successfully execute their task according to a well drawn, well laid out and easy to interpret drawing, and is void of anything that would promote a misinterpretation of where the welds are to be deposited, avoiding wasted time, material and effort in fabricating and welding this assembly. ;)

That is the whole intended purpose of making drawings with welding symbols that are used in a manner which enables the welder to easily understand and interpret the welding symbols so that the welds can be easily deposited in their respective and proper locations and avoiding over welding which can cause a multitude of problems afterwards! :) Why make it harder for the person who is actually going to perform the work??? :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By mholland Date 12-17-2009 22:11
Thanks for your response and kindness to a first time poster.  I agree that the drawing is not complete and will be filing a drawing alteration request.
Our customer does have a couple of specs that govern more data like the size (1.5* thickness) and edge distances (which would make my machined trim incorrect).  If the arrow was moved on the same view but between the joggles, would you interpert that to then run a fillet weld on both sides of he joggle and would avoid the flush surfaces?
Thanks,
Mike
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Double Fillet Help