Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / weekend nite rates
- - By weaver (***) Date 12-20-2009 04:36
whats everyone charging for workin at nite on the weekends after 12am.  Im sure im setting my self up for some good remarks, but im just curious.  regards shannon
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 12-20-2009 08:24
I charge More.

but to be specific 1.5 times after hours and up.
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 12-20-2009 17:34
just walked in the door.  worked 12 hrs through the nite, in the cold (north dakota) and snow, showed up on location waited 3hrs, finally cement was done , measured the spool, made it and then they wanted a flow line changed.  totally different flange and pipe dia, but made it work did all that .  Had to wake the company up at 10am sunday and man did i get an ass chewing for waking him up.  i charged them 127.00 an hr plus consumables and mileage and helper, never had a problem before with this guy, i am freaked out because the we have a another huge job in the shop for the same company, and i wonder if we will lose it..  maybe im worrying to much i don't know...
Parent - - By RioCampo (***) Date 12-20-2009 21:42
You had to have a signature. I doubt the company would pay if a floorhand signed the ticket. Sometimes you gotta do what you have to.
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 12-21-2009 23:17
I didn`t know there was a different rate charged after hours. Maybe some areas are different. Here in Michigan I haven`t ever heard of an after hour rate,but it could be the case ,I just never heard of it.I`ll have to inquire around. Most of the drilling rig work I ever did was mainly after hours.
Parent - - By Eric Carroll (**) Date 12-22-2009 00:53
In my area we compete with a few machine shops that run two shifts, so its not really an option. The way I look at is work is work. I do alot of evening repairs for a general contractor that is about 70% of my 1099s. No way am I going to ruin that by adding a overtime charge. I would rather make less money per job and get more jobs. There are certain jobs I can charge a little more for ( tig stuff mostly ) but still avoid overtime.
Parent - By weaver (***) Date 12-22-2009 01:57
usually the wellheads,spools,flowlines etc is always after midnite.  thats after i work in our shop all day long.  im very blessed with the work, but sometimes getting to location at or after midnite and then waiting for 3 or 4 hrs to start welding, well they have to pay.  and there are a lot of hacks starting to come up here with cute little set ups and we end up fixing there fab work.  anyway regards to all.. shannon
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 12-29-2009 16:43
my rates are set and like the others most of the work is after midnite and i figured out its pretty much mandatory to sit in the truck for 3-4 hours sometimes more before you get to work. I have set in the truck for up to 10 hours waiting to do work yes i charge for it but dont charge an overage or a fuel charge around here i am lucky to get what i get. around here if ya start to get greedy they'll call someone else no matter how good you are.. alot of the companies i work for will let the driller sign the ticket if the pusher is asleep and others only want the pushers signiture so you have to wake them up so what if they yell and scream. it sucks but ya gotta do what ya gotta do
Parent - By weaver (***) Date 12-30-2009 03:04
i actually knocked about 300 dollars off the bill for that company man, on that ticket that he signed, ( the one he yelled about).  He still calls me (thank god) even though two other welders tried to cut my throat on rates, but they do ****ty work,and this is a small area and word travels fast.  you get what you pay for with everything.  anyway were just blessed to have work, sometimes i just get a little *****y at 3am calls for wellheads, but what are you going to do.  make it while you can...  regards to all shannon 
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / weekend nite rates