Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld-up an old shock absorber: TIG or ARC?
- - By jp2welder (**) Date 03-19-2010 15:14
We've got a 2001 Kawasaki Mule that the mount on the shock broke on. Replacement shocks are $330 each, so we're just going to weld it back on.

Naturally, there exists the possibility that I'm going to melt the seals inside, so I want to do this quickly and cool it as soon as I'm done.

I've got a machine that does DC ARC and TIG. ARC would be faster, but TIG is cooler.

Which do you think would work better?
~Joe
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-19-2010 17:03
Hello Joe, you need to carefully consider whether you should weld on this unit, many of these are nitrogen charged under fairly high pressures. They can pose some explosive hazards unless they are discharged before welding and then re-charged afterwards. If this is a high-pressure gas-filled shock I would discharge the gas and then consider submerging the shock in a bucket of water to just below where you are going to weld, carefully attach your ground connection and weld the exposed area, also keep in mind that you are working around water and try to avoid putting yourself in a position where you could become the path of least resistance, allow it to cool and then take it to an approved facility to have it re-charged. A few thoughts for your consideration. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By jp2welder (**) Date 03-19-2010 17:33
Hmmm...

Melting seals is one thing. Explosive hazards are something else entirely.

Any idea how to check to see if a shock is a nitrogen charged version? Would they have a nipple on them or some other obvious means to charge them?

Suddenly, I'm glad I asked before sitting down in front of one of these old shocks with nothing but my welding hood on!
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-19-2010 17:45
Hello Joe, the easiest way to find out is to contact your local motorcycle/ATV dealer and inquire. Otherwise, they will generally also have either a remote or onboard external reservoir with a schrader valve for removal/filling purposes. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 03-19-2010 20:16
I'm kind of with Allan and wouldn't weld on it because of those hazards.  I'd search the aftermarket for better prices on new shocks and you will probably find something better that way that OEM too but main struts are high no matter where you get them.  Older shocks had mineral oil in them then silicone synthetic oils but many today are gas filled.  In fire and rescue we are trained to not approach vehicles burning from front or back that had those older bumper shock absorbers when those heat up going off and shoot the bumper off can take your legs off with the force.  Seen barns or shops burn and the bumpers flew into a wall putting a hole in it or smashed another vehicle and if someone had been there they would have been seriously hurt.  Same on struts they could shoot upward or outward if get hot enough.  Hydrogen lights up you probably won't ever see the flames from it and it's more dangerous if you do extinguish flames then it can reignite for a explosion just keep it cool or let it burn off.
Parent - - By jp2welder (**) Date 03-19-2010 20:36
No worries, FixaLinc! I decided after reading Allen's information not to weld them unless someone could guarantee my safety ...and prove it to me!

My little boy would be pissed at me if I went off and got his daddy killed!
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 03-20-2010 22:20
Saw aftermarket struts for mules are still about $280.  Maybe finded used ones off ebay or someplace the racers are selling they pulled off when changing suspensions ?
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-21-2010 17:02
well i dont know how the shock mounts but after reading your 1st post twice id say take the shock off weld the moutn and then put the shock back on most shcoks are filled with nitrogen and dont have a way to recharge them. i had to cut 1 off once and blew a hole with a torch in it and it shot a stream of flames 20ft long they guy halping me was climbing the fence when i looked away lmao
Parent - By jp2welder (**) Date 03-21-2010 18:25
I emailed the owner back, telling him we should get some used ones off eBay. Before he got a chance to read it, though, he had already gone out there and smeared some old 6011 rod on there with a 20 year old Lincoln AC "cracker box" welder. Apparently, he lived and had no issues.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 03-22-2010 00:38
Too late to be climbing a fence by then LOL.
- By OneBrokeWelder Date 03-22-2010 02:30
Try highlifter.com, there are a bunch of used ATV parts on here.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Weld-up an old shock absorber: TIG or ARC?