Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Turnbuckles, they can be your best friend
- - By aevald (*****) Date 05-18-2010 23:48
Hello All, I have posted a number of basic aides that can assist folks when they are trying to fit and hold various items to be fabricated. For most of you a turnbuckle is probably one of the first items that you found a host of uses for. I am mainly including this for those who might be somewhat new to the trades and are looking for low-budget items to make life easier. This particular turnbuckle has a couple of angle brackets bolted to it's ends, you could either tack-weld or clamp them to various items to move or hold them in place for you while performing additional fit-up tasks, squaring, or final weld-out. They could be attached to plates to be tacked onto parts, attached to chains, nylon slings, wire rope slings, and numerous other items for pulling and pushing purposes. I have included a few photos to give some ideas. Anyone with other suggestions or variations, I would greatly appreciate the additional input. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-22-2010 16:41
Nice post Allen

I think they are great when you are squaring up big heavy frames by yourself, they are super help full when you are tacking up bad fits too.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-24-2010 20:01
Great ideas Allen.

Simple, yet effective when a little "pull" works in your favor.

best regards - Al
Parent - - By Skaggydog (**) Date 05-25-2010 00:30
You call those turnbuckels?  THIS is a turnbuckel.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-25-2010 00:52
Hello Skaggydog, that IS a turnbuckle, still not the largest, yet certainly a sizeable one. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-25-2010 03:01
Allan...Dude!!!,

You are THE KING of "Shade Tree Fabricators"! And I say this with the utmost of respect and regard.
I am constantly in awe of the clever, yet highly efficient shop made jigs, fixtures and other miscellaneous tools you provide for us.
Thank you for these past, present and all the future devices in your arsenal that you are so willing to share.
To add to this line of "push/pull". The next step up (financially) is to use Truckers Ratcheting Boomers. Yes, they cost more but are much faster when push/pulling plates or pipe into place.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-25-2010 03:07
Hello Superflux, I have used those also, I just don't have any handy right now or I would include a couple of pictures. My tool shop buddy does have a couple and if I can procure them without breaking the bank I will likely do so, can always use alternatives. Thanks for reminding me. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-25-2010 05:45
Allan,
I am just a bit inept at posting, and lacadasial at doing the foto op. As always, your posts are the ultimate for all us metal heads. I am considering crossing over to wood for my next venture. Sold off the welding machines for the good of the cause [financially due the economic climate (wood becons me)]...however molten ferrous flows (and flux purifies it) through my veins. Tools and the ingenuity of the "mechanic/craftsman" are the soul of us all.
BTW you should see the forged hardware that comes with the wood. "I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning"!!!!

Will compress the fotos and post soon.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-25-2010 05:52
Ok,
I'm gonna try a foto post
Attachment: knives.jpg (65k)
Attachment: knives-1.jpg (65k)
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-25-2010 06:01
Wow!
I can post fotos.
The blades depicted were forged from ATS 34 Stainless Steel and adorned with walnut burl or applewood harvested from the backyard. All BAD 2 D "bone" and guaranteed to stick on a throw!
I personally tossed all of them to stick into the elm tree in the front yard!
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-25-2010 06:04
Forgive me for hijacking a thread, but was just caught up in the moment of a learning moment.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-25-2010 06:23
Hello Superflux, those are awesome, thanks for sharing. I am sure that whether you are beating on steel or carving wood or other materials there will be some terrific results. Sorry to hear of the downsizing, yet many things do definitely happen for a reason. Glad your "learning" moment resulted in seeing your fine knife work. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 05-25-2010 07:08
Thank you Allan,
So far, metal and fossil fuels are still my mainstay of sustenance.

I forgot to pay hommage to the magnificent DEER that sacrificed it's self so that it could feed my family (and create a tool) to facilitate the future of all that of those who hunt and seek to humbley perpetuate the benefit of all that inhabit this beautiful PLANET.

And.... Aint it cool to be able to meld bone, wood, and metal?
We are all craftsmen, and it's medium knows no boudaries.  (no gender prejudice intended)

Stone was my first medium...metal just seemed to be a technological advancement.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-25-2010 06:32
Hello again Superflux, since I can see your passion for knifemaking I think you'll enjoy the link that I will hopefully attach here. One of our current students is a master bladesmith and in general one heck of a student and a person. He has been a godsend for explaining many of the finer points of metallurgy to our other students and certainly myself. I believe you will enjoy and appreciate much of his work. http://www.wheelerknives.com/gallery.html   Enjoy and thanks for sharing your work on the forum here. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 05-25-2010 07:25
Wow!,
The beauty of teaching is, that you never know what a student can bring to the class! Cutlery (Knifemaking) is an art all unto itself. Possibly the most challenging (with out the legal implications) of all the metallurgical persuits. From an (amateaur) artistic perspective.
After making about 100 blades in so many days, it became a "burnout".
Pipe and wellheads are just so much easier on the soul....
The heat treating and other metal working processes can become overwhelming in the bladesmithing arts..."what is good, and what is good enogh for your customers" ?
I made a post a couple of years ago about "grandpas knife"
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 05-25-2010 23:26
Hello John, I believe these are the "boomers" you spoke of, if not, just set me straight. I spoke of my tool buddy, well, these are a couple of ratcheting chain binders that will impart some serious pull for you. The price was right so I now have added these to my personal collection. Here are a couple of pictures, I would include some application pics. but, I believe most of you get the idea for their uses. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Turnbuckles, they can be your best friend