Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / More Good NEWS!
- - By commonarc (**) Date 08-27-2010 19:42
Pretty soon the USA will become an importer of not only oil but gasoline and refined products as well. 

HOUSTON, Aug 27 (Reuters) - Exxon Mobil Corp's (XOM.N) 196,000 barrel per day (bpd) joint-venture Chalmette, Louisiana, refinery will shut three secondary units in a reconfiguration planned to save between $8 million and $9 million per month, according to sources familiar with the plans. The refinery, a 50-50 joint venture between Exxon and Venezuela's national oil company PDVSA, planned to shut a distillate hydrocracker, a gasoline reformer and a coking unit, according to the sources.  About 70 employees will be laid off due to the reconfiguration, Exxon has said. The company will also reduce the number of contract workers at the refinery.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 08-27-2010 22:13
just freaking lovely.... Chalmettes La is just up the road from where I work which is out in New Orleans East
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 08-28-2010 16:45
More love from Hopey the Clown and his Circus. EPA has issued new guidelines for refinery's. It is cheaper to refine the product offshore and just import the finished produce.
More Change you can believe in.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-28-2010 18:10
I hope somebody in the world don't get a wild hair up their arse and start a war......we won't be able to build a darn thing in this country, produce gas or anything because it will all be offshore. How easy is it going to be to cut off our oil and gas if it's not even in our country??
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 08-28-2010 21:58
this whole country truely is going to sh*t guess it's time to start looking at a new country to move to
Parent - - By JLWelding (***) Date 08-28-2010 23:59
Lets move to Mexico, there all over here h--- we can go over there and have lots of room and no neighbors.
Parent - - By burleigh26 (**) Date 08-29-2010 01:46
i hear that, at least the money you have is worth something over there.  they come here and we'll go there.
Parent - - By HELLTACO (*) Date 08-30-2010 03:20
You dont get it.  This is mexico.  soon you wont have to work enless you want to go to a forine country
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 08-30-2010 07:52
that is true this is mexico
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-30-2010 08:04 Edited 08-30-2010 19:46
BAH!!!!!  you give up too easily.

I am PERSONALLY insulted by your commentary here.  1/3 of my uncles gave their very lives for the "Mexico" you are living in, My father and the rest of my uncles worked and fought their butts off to give you the "MEXICO" you are living in. 
(took out the harsh bit here)
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 08-30-2010 15:24
What’s with you people??? I bet the ones making all the noise are the 1st ones to jump up and proclaim their European heritage or any where other than the USofA.

It's no more Mexico than it is Korea, Japan, Pakistan, or any European nation. The only people who have a legitimate complaint about foreigners would be the American Indian. Other than the Indians only the Mexican’s (Indians not Spaniards) can claim their heritage starts here. So what’s your beef? You want to keep out the foreigners? Which ones?

We (Europeans) took this land by force and deception, and now you’re pissed because they want to join the party? They have names for people like that .
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-31-2010 02:03
"You want to keep out the foreigners? Which ones? "

I would settle for keeping out the illegal ones.

Our ancestors took the land by conquest, just like the Indians who they took it from took it from the Indians who had it before them.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 08-30-2010 19:50 Edited 08-31-2010 08:31
yeah I shouldn't have written that sorry. I was thinking about it all tonight at work so I have deleted it as you can see
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-31-2010 05:25
Everybody's forgetting especially the OP - that this section is the "Shop Talk" section and this sort of topic should be posted in the "Off Topic Bar & Grill." Not here!

In the future, if one wants to start a thread on something that does not directly refer to any of the sections such as this one, then post it in the OTB&G instead. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 08-31-2010 11:28
Hey Henry, the Shop Talk forum is for  "General discussion, usually about welding". 

A refinery closing and putting hundreds of contractors and refinery employees out of work is ON TOPIC for this forum.  Many who work in refineries are welders, pipefitters, sheetmetal mechanics and other metal tradesmen.  They will have to find work elsewhere in the worst economy since the Great Depression.  CAPICHE?

I'd love to go back and delete the off topic, lunatic fringe garbage you've posted over the years.  You'd have very few posts left to view!

Please read the forum description before you post garbage.

Respectfully,
Steven

Run silent, run dumb
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 08-31-2010 14:39
Commonarc,
The first couple of posts were on the subject you posted and then it digressed to political rubbish.
That is what the OTB&G is for.
The amount of rascist political crap that was posted on this forum during the US election period led a lot of us non-Americans to question why we even bothered visiting the forum.
The OTB&G was created to allow people to rant and rave on subjects that people wanting to discuss purely welding were not even slightly interested in.
Your post was a legitimate concern but did you see where it ended up after being hijacked ?
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 08-31-2010 22:59
Shane,
Henry was refering to the OP which was ME. Henry is a mental defective.  CAPECHE?

I've been to Australia.  Racism from the USA members on this forum??  Please.  People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
I saw more racism in Australia than I have ever seen in the USA.  Not to mention the way you beat up your women!  This was in 1999!
You come from a country where it was legal to HUNT (yes with guns) Aboriginal Australians up until the 1930's!  Or as your countrymen called them "darkies".
Look at your own demons before you cast a stone at my country.

Respectfully,

Steven
Run Silent, run stupid
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 08-31-2010 23:42
Steven,
Calling a New Zealander an Australian is akin to calling a Canadian an American or vice versa.
I am a proud New Zealander who has stated that dozens of times on this forum - so please get your facts straight before posting.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 09-01-2010 00:10 Edited 09-01-2010 00:19
I'm sure the Maori appreciate the way you Kiwi's have treated them over the years.  Did I mention I spent some time in NZ also?  No difference when it comes to the way you treat your natives...or your women for that matter. New Zealand.  The most Caucasian country on the planet?  Part of the Commonwealth just like your big brother Australia?  Cannon fodder for Queen and country?   Guilty feelings about that Shane?   Look at the person on your coins and tell me one thing:  has SHE and her family from days past done more harm in the world than the USA?  We tossed them out in the 1700's.    Have a nice day!

In 1840, New Zealand had a Māori population of about 100,000 and only about 2,000 Europeans. The Māori population had declined to 42,113 in the 1896 census and Europeans numbered more than 700,000.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-01-2010 02:47
Society as a whole remains a hateful and dysfunctional place.  It's really unfortunate we all visit this place to discuss our mutual interests and love for welding but then break down into these meaningless disagreements.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-01-2010 07:05
I'm really disappointed in the way this thread morphed into a "whining podium" for someone who's obviously not getting the point, or reason why the OTB&G was created in the first place. :(

I'm only hopeful that there still are some folks in here such as Shane and Jon as well as others beside them who truly understand why it's inappropriate to start a thread regarding a topic that is not directly related to a specific section's title within this forum such as this one which should be in the OTB&G...

And there certainly is no need to "mudsling" if one is truly here to discuss, respectfully disagree and argue the merits of one's perspective regarding any topic... In fact, the very use of name calling only shows the new and occasional visitor or two to this forum that this place is really not a comfortable place to discuss topics directly pertaining to any of the sections listed nor does it leave a good impression to some who initially thought that they found a forum where they could comfortably discuss the many topics pertaining to welding.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-01-2010 07:33
Good point.  Commonarcs original post was okay but then as so often happens nastiness takes hold.  Who would know we'd all probably be great friends if we met in person, obviously with wayyyyy different views on the world, but still the love of welding.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-01-2010 11:10
Whelp, I'm in agreement that this has thread taken off in an OTB&G direction, so I moved it.....
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-03-2010 21:06
Shane

I really hope you, your family and friends are ok!

You all are in our prayers.

The news says that quake was pretty bad.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / More Good NEWS!