Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / QW 451 weld thickness t qualified
- - By Eutectic (**) Date 10-12-2010 07:54
Good morning Gents,

Just a really short stupid question. One of those that never bothers you until your confronted with it. The implication is not serious but the curiosity is.

QW 451.1 states that the maximum weld thickness qualified is 2t (t =deposited weld metal) for anything <19mm. I reviewed a PQR qualified on a 3mm plate.
Thus BM qualified thickness T = 1.5 to 6mm. Usually this will also apply for the weld metal t however the fabricator stated 1.5 to 7.5mm based on the weld reinforcement.
Now ASME IX does not restrict this interpretation but I would have thought that you can’t take credit for extra reinforcement i.e. a rather crap weld.
Is there a clause that restricts this interpretation I would appreciate feedback.

Cheers
HF
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 10-12-2010 10:31
You cannot take credit for reinforcement. The code, to my knowledge does not say this explicitly, but there are interpretations to the effect. And Marty may be able to add considerbly to this.
Parent - - By Eutectic (**) Date 10-12-2010 12:06
Thanks js55, I had a feeling that this was the case, but I am sure you know, it is sometimes difficult to counter fabricators if it is not explicitly stated in the code. An interpretation would be helpfull.
Cheers
Parent - - By steelman7018 (*) Date 10-12-2010 13:19 Edited 10-12-2010 13:27
ASME IX 2010, QW-452.1(a) General Note: The "Thickness of Weld Metal" is the total weld metal thickness deposited by all welders in all processes in the test coupon exclusive of the weld reinforcement.

My mistake...that's Performance qual.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 10-15-2010 08:47
Eutectic,

Interpretation: IX-83-143
Subject: Section IX, QW-351
Date Issued: November 26, 1984
File: BC84-58 1
Question: Can weld reinforcement be considered for determining the deposited weld metal
thickness per QW-351, provided that the full weld reinforcement is included in either the side bend
tests (where side bends are permitted by QW-452) or the radiographic examination (where permitted
by QW-30411
Reply: No,

Hope that helps,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By Eutectic (**) Date 10-19-2010 08:43
Shane, Marty,

thanks for the help,
I enjoy your other posts as well, keep up the good work,
Shane, i believe well talk again in the upcoming tri nations?

Cheers
Hanre
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 10-19-2010 13:22
Hanre,
Tri Nations are already over and New Zealand went through unbeaten.
What has happened to the once mighty Springbok ?
World Champions one year to 3rd of 3 teams the next year ?
Hope you are not saving your best form for the World Cup next year. LOL !
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By Eutectic (**) Date 10-20-2010 12:28
HAHA,

I think a lot of South africans would like the answer to that, you know what its like when the team loses, everyone wants the coach's head.
He is a funny little man.
But yes I hope that we will eb in good form for the world cup, Will probable see NZ choke against the frech again. LOL

Cheers
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-20-2010 13:17
Not going to happen Hanre.... we're backing Black all the way!
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 10-15-2010 22:16
I think there is already a published interpretation that addresses this for procedure qualification.  And I recall some committee discussion on this recently, but not sure if it was a inquiry or Code change.  I'll look into it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / QW 451 weld thickness t qualified