Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Quick disconnects on torch hoses
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-28-2010 23:49
I've got quick disconnects on my smith and hoses. Seems the gub'ment here in Tn has had a run on salt they need to use up, they have been going insane with brine, salt here lately. Anyhow, seems I have gotten salt spray quick disconnects where they hang and now the suckers are seized up. I thought about wd40 at first then considered the seals inside. Actually have them soaking in some warm water with a touch of Dawn. Hoping to get them working again without dropping another $40 on a new set to do so. Used the torches today without them and boy, I sure do miss them already!

Anybody got any tips for cleaning these things and ridding them of this nasty salt. I thought I got away from this when I moved 800 miles away from salt heaven, that would be western Ny, guess I need to start looking further south!
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-28-2010 23:51
brake cleaner works well and it evaporates.
Parent - By TozziWelding (**) Date 12-29-2010 00:24
Simple Green works wonders, and it is virtually harmless.
Parent - - By Rig Hand (***) Date 12-29-2010 01:36
I had this trouble 2 years ago. I was using the Western quick connects (red & green). I switched to the Quickies or what ever there called, they're black & silver and gold & silver. I haven't had any trouble since. With the western I would have to change the females on the end of the hose about 4 times a year. I think I've changed the Quickies once in 2 years.

This is just to show you what they look like, your LWS might have a better price
http://www.atlweldingsupply.com/Torch-to-Hose-Quick-Connect-Set_p_249-1379.html
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 12-29-2010 03:19
I second those Rig Hand. They are way better than the aluminum ones and last much longer. The ones on my torch in the shop have been working fine for at least 5 years now. Thanks for the link also I have been looking for them, my LWS does not cary them.
Parent - By 52lincoln (***) Date 12-29-2010 03:28
i agree those western quick connects suck.i use the gentecs best that i have seen
Parent - - By TozziWelding (**) Date 12-29-2010 05:40
Koike Aronson http://www.koike.com/portable-solutions/gas-hose-coupling-set.aspx , thats who makes em' they are way more heavy duty than the westerns.
Parent - - By Rig Hand (***) Date 12-29-2010 05:58
"Koike" Man I was way off! :) Thanks for the help.
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 12-29-2010 17:27
WD40 on oxygen hose connections? Not a good solution.
Parent - By Rig Hand (***) Date 12-29-2010 18:00
Bob,
How ya been? Hope you had a good Christmas. I still haven't pulled the trigger on those rope lights yet, but I'll send some pics your way when I do.

Be Careful, Stay Warm, and keep lighting it up. :)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-30-2010 03:38
I can imagine the response if You called ATL and said You wanted a "Quickie" for $32.50.
Parent - By JMCInc (**) Date 12-30-2010 04:40
Ram welding supply sells the koike.

Jon
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 12-30-2010 12:32 Edited 12-30-2010 13:07
Thanks for the info all, after repeated attempts these things are spent. Gonna try them this morning one more time but looks there done. Thanks for the link and gonna check out the Quickies. That's funny, call the LWS I go to and ask that, "you have any quickies?" and they're likely to tell me "no but you might try across the street". Directly across the street is Nashville's interstate gem, "The Worlds Largest Adult Bookstore"! No kidding.

Looks like Stumpf's up in Illinois carries them too,

http://stumpfweldingsupplies.com/Torch_Accessories.html
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Quick disconnects on torch hoses