Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Shielding Gas Cost Savings
- - By TimGary (****) Date 01-21-2011 12:30
Is anyone familiar with "Regula Systems" shielding gas control equipment?
They claim that using their equipment will reduce shielding gas use 40% - 60%.
I'm wondering if anyone has comments about their product, good or bad.

Here's a link
http://www.regulasystemsusa.com/index3.html

Thanks,
Tim
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 01-25-2011 20:40
Has anyone even heard of these folks?
- - By dbric36 (*) Date 01-22-2011 14:07
They claim that using their equipment will reduce shielding gas use 40% - 60%
40 to 60 % reduction from what? What is the baseline? There are alot or flowmeters that are supposed to reduce usage by preventing the initial excess at the start of the weld. So if you are currently using a quality flowmeter then I think the 40 to 60% claim is BS. The best way to save is to insure that you have no leaks and are using the correct flow rate. If you are using bottles then make sure they are turned off when not in use.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 01-25-2011 20:42
Their claim seems to be based on using pulsing equipment to reduce turbulence, which allows you to reduce flow cfh.
I can see the point, somewhat, but 40 to 60 percent seems to be a bit much, if you don't have the cfh set too high to begin with.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 02-13-2011 18:05
interesting. It seems this would be more applicable with robotic welding where there are constant start stops between weld locations. I figured this would be somewhat solved by properly setting up your pre and post purge length.  I can't see this being big on manual welding with Tig, where in general you want a few seconds of pre and post purge, and there aren't excessive start stops.

If they are serious about business, they should be able to send you a case study or technical information, besides the two graphs they have on their page.  The theory is solid, but 60% seems like a best case scenario.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 02-14-2011 11:51
I believe you're right.
Another branch of my company is doing some testing.
I'll let you know how it turns out.
I find it unsettling that no one on this board seems to have heard of them.

Tim
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 02-14-2011 17:13
well remember, Consumables cost is a rather small portion of the overall costing structure.  on manual processes consumables usually cost 5-15%. Automated equipment can have higher consumables cost, as there is no labor.  So I could see that not many companies would invest in an unproven (in the  US) technology.

Also they don't have good advertising or presence. I have not heard of company nor did I see them at 10' Fabtech.  A few adds in AWS publications would increase exposure.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Shielding Gas Cost Savings