Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Quiz in Excel
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-10-2011 20:14 Edited 03-10-2011 20:20
Just seeing if anyone could use something like this. I threw together a quick spreadsheet with 10 questions on it...you can edit the questions and answer key to suit your needs. Don't laugh at me if you find mis-spelling s or incorrect grammer...I was more concerned with trying to make the VBA code that works in the background work correctly....this workbook has VBA macros in it, so you will have to enable macros to use it. I'm fairly new to VBA, so be kind if you see rookie mistakes in the code.

Fill in your name, and date...double click the check boxes(or place a lower case "a" in them) when you get to the bottom, hit "submit" and it will send your name, date and answers over to sheet2(a record training log) and will also grade the quiz for you.
Attachment: ShopInspectorQuiz.xls (148k)
Parent - - By gndchuck (**) Date 03-11-2011 12:58
Hey John, I like that good job.  Will have to put it in the folder of something that I might be able to use one day.  I use Excel all the time, but have never tried the VBA thing, might have to look into learning it now.

Thanks
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-11-2011 13:17
You can look around in the VBA side of it by pressing Alt+F11....There is code in 1 macro to clear the checkboxes and text and code in 1 macro to calculate the grade, and code in Sheet1 to make the checkboxes work and allow only 1 choice per question. These checkboxes are not really checkboxes as in Active-X controls, but using the "Marlett" font (lowercase a) to serve as a check in the box, code then looks for the "a" to know what to do.
I have enjoyed, and been frustrated to wits end, trying to learn VBA on my own. There is nobody here at work who has any experience with VBA, so I've been at it reading books and looking at tutitorials online to try and figure out some of this stuff.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-11-2011 13:23
Here is another that I did using UserForms...it's a paint inventory xls. You could edit it to keep inventory on anything else, if you wanted...
Attachment: PaintInventory1.xls (99k)
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-11-2011 15:30
Haven't actually read the questions yet, but the overall format seems very usable.  I'll have to look at it closer over the weekend.

Maybe ask some questions of my one son who is really into the computer things. 

Thanks for sharing.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-11-2011 15:38
Brent,
There are only 10 questions...you'll fly through them. I intended to give a refresher class to my inspectors and then let them take this simple style quiz to serve as a record of training for my AISC quality program. Haven't tried this on them yet, but will soon. I need a new back-up inspector as the one I had has retired.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-11-2011 23:03
Gee, are you announcing a job opening??  :lol:

I have been rather busy and as I glanced at it thought it might take longer than I had available. 

I'll look at it some time this weekend though.  Trying to make arrangements to go to our AWS District 21 Conference.  Between work and getting some reservations in place I haven't had a lot of time.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-13-2011 20:50
Looks good John.

Al
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-14-2011 11:27
[Gee, are you announcing a job opening??]-quote

LOL no, we will hire from within. The guy I have in mind has about 30 years of experience, so it should be a smooth transition. He's been doing the job off/on since the back up inspector retired. Our backups are still fitters until the Senior Shop Inspector gets overloaded and then he'll call in the backup to catch a table or two to get him caught back up.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-14-2011 14:48
Something else somebody may could use....I developed this Non-Conformance Report in VBA also.
To add a Non-Conformance report, click the Command Button on the first sheet, it opens the NC Userform and if this NC report needs a Corrective Action Report...placing a check in the Yes check box opens the CAR form so it can be filled out...upon saving the forms, it writes the data to the NC data and CAR data sheets, and generates a bar graph showing the number of shop hours effected.
Attachment: NonConformanceReport.xls (313k)
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-16-2011 14:10
Hi!
That is really interesting stuff! Quiz was nicely put together John! How long did it take you to master the basics of VBA? My last manager was a wizard with it and could really make a spreadsheet sing and dance. I am just starting to learn it myself, after years of messing with Excel.
BTW, it may be just my computer, but the NCR shows "Can't find project or library" when you click on the 'show calendar' button  :confused::confused::confused:
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-16-2011 14:22
That error may be a control (item in the tool box) missing in your edition of excel.  I have a couple computers here at work that do that. Still working on that...it works fine on all of mine(XL2003/XP and XL2010/Win7), so I'm not sure exactly what is causing that.

Other than the calendar issue, it works if you type in the dates on the other computers here at work.

I'm not anywhere near any point to where I'm calling myself a whiz in Excel or VBA :neutral:....I'm still learning what it will and will not do.....I find it amazing, so it keeps me interested in learning it.:wink:
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-16-2011 21:44
Hi!

John, keep up the good work, it is appreciated !!!! You are providing a service that is not available anywhere else!

Regards
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-24-2011 14:40
I figured out my calendar problem......

every instance of "Date" and "Format" had to be changed to "VBA.Date" and "VBA.Format"...then the calendar works flawlessly on every computer here at work...before it would only run on a few computers here at work.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Quiz in Excel