Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / New to D17.1 and I need advise
- - By Mwccwi (***) Date 03-17-2011 09:25
New to D17.1 and I need advise, suggestions to help me get things right.

I’ve come into a situation that I’ve found “D17.1” performance qualification records that indicate that the tests were to Class “C” requirements and I’ve not found any Welding Procedure Qualification Records to support the WPS’s referenced.

The way that I’m interpreting D17.1 it tells me that I’ll need to start testing over from scatch to get these jobs compliant to D17.1 .

"4.2.2 Qualification Requirements. To achieve qualified status, welders and welding operators shall demonstrate their skill by producing acceptable test welds per the requirements of
Paragraph 4.3.8. Test welds should not be required for those welds that will not be required inproduction welding. Qualifications, certifications, requalifications, and recertifications given under this document do not transfer from one fabricator to another."
Paragraph 4.3.8.1  inferrs that *All* welding performance testing will be done to inspection criteria for Class "A" welds, and class "A" welds require a procedure that is qualified by testing.

For performance qualification to Class “A” the test need to meet VT Class “A”  6.3 and table 6.1,
and
PT/MT depending on if it is ferrous or nonferrous
and
RT.
Only after the procedures are qualified D17.1 Paragraph 4.4.3 by testing to AWS B2.1
Then it will need
Visual (D17.1 tale 6.1 not the requirements of B2.1)
And
Guided bend test
and
And tensile testing

Help Please,
Martin:confused:
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-17-2011 15:03
It sounds like you have things under control and you read what is written.

Some people develop selective reading habits. A practice to be avoided.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-21-2011 12:57
Reminds me of a thread from a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=206764;hl=
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 03-24-2011 09:33
Lawrence,
I did use the forum search function before I posted, I was just seeking others to agree with my interpretation before I laid the whammy to the penny crunchers, and sometimes I think that some of us are jumping into the aerospace welding arena without realizing the financial investment that is associated with this level of quality and conformance expectations.
BTW Lawrence, You are on my favorite posters list and if some of the text seem too familiar to you, it is because we tend to speak like we are taught and when you rank on my favorite posters list then I consider you a mentor/teacher for me.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / New to D17.1 and I need advise