Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / weld mapping
- - By mike donahoo Date 03-23-2011 13:47
can anyone send me some examples of weld mapping and the info required to do weld mapping. Thanks send to mdonahoo@aladyn.com
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-23-2011 13:58
Hi Mike,
What type of weld inspection job are you working on?

Generally speaking, weld mapping can be done on any drawing where each the welds are identified. Maybe even use some type of matrix  and can be used in conjuction with the drawing to sign off on(welder, inspector, NDT, ect.).
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 03-23-2011 14:17
Can't send examples because we have enough trouble getting drawings from vendors for ourselves since everything is proprietary.

In general, they can be an assy drawing with weld symbols that reference the WPS numbers.

In the absence of a drawing they can be a matrix table that lists a weld number with the thickness, joint type, wps number, pqr number, and sometimes nde requirements.

Some of our better vendors submit an assembly drawing with weld numbers as well as a table matrix but that is rare.

There is no cast in stone format. The only thing is that the information must provide details on weld number, wps number, pqr number, material type, thickness, and joint design.  It is also wise to call out heat treat and nde requirements.

I got one from a vendor last week that had 230 welds and only 3 procedures.  It was a thick stack of Excel spreadsheets with a weld number detailed assy drawing.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-23-2011 14:45
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 03-23-2011 21:16
If you let me know your mailing address I'll send you, as an example, a couple of sheets of the weld mapping of an urea reactor.
They're not in electronic format, just printed, that's why I need your mailing address.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 03-25-2011 20:16
Here is an example of how we do it on our boilers.

Jim
Attachment: WeldMap.pdf - weld map (144k)
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 03-26-2011 08:47
Jim,

I really like your all inclusive pentagram with blocks. Did you have a stamp with the individual sections/blocks custom made?
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 03-26-2011 14:43
Yes. We have a company we go through for all our rubber stamps. This is typically how we do all of our boiler work, ASME Sec. 1 B31.1 (BEP) and B31.1 NBEP. Once the welding is complete then you will start to see our field inspectors putting information around the stamp, such as VT initial and date, NDE report number, PWHT chart number.

Jim
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 03-27-2011 04:49
Thanks Jim.
When I get back to B31.1 and 31.3 work, I'm going to get a stamp made. Last project I had to make Weld maps for about 1200 Iso's and drove myself nuts (ok nuttier) using a drafting template. Great way to do it with the stamp. Some times I just can't see the road for all the signs in the way....
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 03-27-2011 23:13 Edited 03-28-2011 12:16
I can show you what not to do.  Heheheee.  I came back from vacation to find a few sketches like this on my desk..... fortunately there were some photographs to go with it.

~thirdeye~

Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 03-28-2011 04:06
thirdeye,

Nice, real nice, and quite detailed too! So much info in fact, I think all I could decipher is Front from Back.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / weld mapping