Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Joining process selection software
- - By rkgoyal Date 05-11-2011 11:19
Is there any software/tool available for joining process selection - with the objective of assisting design engineers, which can help them decide, what is the best (cost effective) joining process from three categories of joining processes (welding vs. adhesives vs. fasteners) for a given joint in a particular application/product/design, meeting all the requirements expected from that particular joint.

Thanks
Rakesh
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-11-2011 12:03
Nice.

Remove engineers from your life with the push of a button!

Sounds good to me.

Sorry Metranka  Heh.

By the way .. Welcome to the Forum !
Parent - - By rkgoyal Date 05-11-2011 12:26
Well, the objective is not to eliminate the engineers rather assist the product engineering in more optimized process selection at the design phase itself. It is well known that joint design depends on type of joining process, further in-appropriate selection of joining process results in wastage of money and time when we find at later stage that joints produced from specific joining process does not meet the requirements and whole design process needs to be repeated with joints designed for different joining process. There exist few preliminary tools sich as CES selector from Granta design for this purpose, but those seem to be in very preliminary stage, so i was interested to see if anybody else knows of something better.

Thanks-
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 05-20-2011 02:21
As far as I know no such software exists or works well.  The biggest thing I've seen is various costing models that would help estimate differing manufacturing processes.

As mentioned there's so many caveats and applied knowledge that I don't believe software is to the point of doing this type of engineering work well. Many issues, economics, material type, weld process selection, inspection criteria etc are dictated by the product or job therefore there's too many variables.  Also a lot of the costing, etc is driven by the firm undergoing the work and what process capabilities they have.

Process selection is still one of those tasks that is best performed with the help of engineers with accumulated experience. Problems like this are why I have a job :lol:
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 05-20-2011 11:45
Wouldn't a software of such nature be a lot like the President assigning a commission to study some phenomena and then absolving himself of all responsibility because, after all, the commission recommended the action taken?
Too much software takes the engineering out of engineering.
You buy a sofware program to assist the engineer and the engineer becomes programmed by the software.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 05-20-2011 02:15
I don't want to remove all engineers, I would be out of a job! I do appreciate anything that can only be used by a welding engineer because it justifies my existence.

That being said, as a welding engineer who does extremely critical joints, generally the answer is more engineering controls in terms of weld controllers, robotics etc etc.  Then again today I worked on a welding problem and I heard the joint would be manually welded and I said "wow people still do that?"

Different world.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-20-2011 03:33
Typical engineer.

5 working days for a reply...   

Heh.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 05-22-2011 23:51
too busy trying to explain to sales that what they promised is physically impossible :P
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-20-2011 14:24
And there will always be someone that does so.:cool::grin::wink:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-23-2011 03:52
My take on Your question is that the 3 processes You mention are so different that in most aplications, anybody with any experience is going to know going in what process is the most aplicable. In many aplications [I am asuming You are limiting this to metals] there will not even be a choice.
Parent - By rkgoyal Date 05-24-2011 06:23
Thanks everybody for your comments!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Joining process selection software