Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rig welding = variety.
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-17-2011 23:44
Few decent little jobs in the last week.  Partial rebuild + new forks on a big carriage, remove a salt vat from a heater, fix a highly neglected piece of kitchen equipment.   Guess that is why I like it...a wild variety of work.

That stove was in horrible shape, looks good as new now.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-18-2011 00:35
Nice work Tommy! You have your own personal photographer or something?
Parent - - By phaux (***) Date 11-18-2011 01:16
I've done one of those stoves before, all the tops had popped off and wouldn't hold the woks. What did you do to repair that? Roll some stainless and insert it like a sleeve?
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-18-2011 13:43
phaux   it was tough to fix without pulling the thing out.  I put a new support under the burners, and brought the ring back down to the table underneath the stainless with clamps.  Put a rolled sleeve inside that and welded to the supports at the bottom and the ring at the top.  That looks like how it was originally.  I was just worried about the insulation part cause I had no idea what that was...they took care of it.
Parent - By tightline11 (**) Date 11-18-2011 01:24
hey tommy glad to see u staying busy!!!!!!  wheres ur shop located?????   i might want to come by a let u educate me
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 11-18-2011 12:46
Interesting pictures, Tommy, that really show your versatility!
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 11-22-2011 13:15
That's why I love my job. From cattle guards to well heads never a dull moment in the field.
- - By chickweldor (*) Date 11-18-2011 00:57
really like seeing photos of jobs on here variety has always seemed like the best part of being a weldor,awesome pictures!!!
Parent - - By Robert48 (**) Date 11-18-2011 02:00
what kind of machine is on that Chevy.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-18-2011 04:23
That there is a Hobart! That's a bad arse machine!
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 11-18-2011 04:44
Yes, a Hobart from back when Hobart WAS SOMETHING.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-19-2011 00:43 Edited 11-19-2011 00:57
Thanks for the comments.   I just like it when people post pics of work going on, so I thought I would.

Tightline    Ummm probably all I could educate you on is how to be broke and work hard for it.  Heck I don't know nothing man, I am still learning something on every job I do.  Matter of fact if you hang around me you might be dumber for the experience!:grin:

Robert that is an OLD 3020G  It has a Ford 2.3 four in it (ford ranger) and a single barrel carb with a mechanical belt driven governor.  It has an arc force dial, amperage knob, hi/lo range switch and that is about it.  She welds nice, smooth kinda buttery I guess you might say.  I can gouge just about whatever with it.  I guess because of the grey paint and the odd shape of the hood....everyone always asks...what is that exactly?  I love the thing, I might get a newer diesel machine one day but I will NEVER sell this one.   If you ever see one that still has a readable face on it...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take a good photograph of it.  I got sharpie marks round my dial cause I cannot even find a picture of what the face read like originally.  I reckon it is "almost" a rare bird....sure as heck is hard to find info on them.  Miller has the service manual but that is about it.

BTW Shawn I do not hire photographers...sheesh you think I am conceded or something?  Those are pics from my groupies, entourage and the piddly folk in the fan club.   I could not resisit...you started it
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-19-2011 02:05
Don't worry, I bought a "Tommy Rocks" shirt while you were on tour in the large metropolis of Mt. Pleasant!!! I even got some pictures to!!

Your Hobart, rare as chicken lips!!
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 11-19-2011 19:17
Tommy, I worked for an welder back in the day that used a Hobart just like yours. He lost three fingers on his stinger hand when he was a younger man, pipe took them off! He was a great guy to work for. He was a great teacher. I wish I could find some of those old pics I had... I will ask around and see if I can find someone that still has one. There is a good mix of old Lincoln, Hobart and Miller machines in the farming community I live in.

Looks like you had a fun week. Nice work!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-20-2011 01:47
Wade if you find one I owe you a shipment of your favorite drink at the least!  Ask em if it is for sale as well.  Mine is solid, but in my opinion they are worth a lot more then I have seen em sell for.  I can get a label printed with a decent picture to go by.  Right now I just go by what I see and what I hear.  I don't mind saying I think she is a good machine, I know the current regulator is awesome. I had a surging problem cause of jammed up fuel lines and she still carried the puddle nice and even uphill.  I have not used too many machines that might go to bucking and I will still finish the rod out.  Like I told Shawn on these old machines..sometimes they just want you to rub their belly good.:lol:
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 11-20-2011 03:39
Here is a Way to get a close up Picture of a faceplate. Just call the guy !!  

http://odessa.craigslist.org/tls/2583259404.html
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-20-2011 03:53 Edited 11-20-2011 04:03
OH heck    that one looks sweet!!!!!!!!! 

If any of you guys are looking for a BA dc machine....there it is.  The listing is wrong....it is 375 amp at 100% duty.  If the hours are under 4500 I would say talk him down to  3500 or less and you will not regret it.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 11-20-2011 04:06
Here is a link to get a Manual for yours.

https://www.hobartwelders.com/owners_manual/order_oldmanuals.php
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 11-20-2011 04:08
Here is another one. This one will have pictures of your face plate, Hell they might even have a new one for you.

http://phxwelding.com/hobart_machine_manuals.htm
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-20-2011 04:44
Cactus is thirsty!!!!

Thank you man. Makes me feel like a punk I have not come across those links.  I emailed them and shall see what shakes.   That one looks like it was taken care of or restored well.
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 11-20-2011 05:10
Tommy buy that man a cold one. Good job Cactus!
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-23-2011 19:40
That one is gone, manual has no pictures like that in it.  After seeing that picture it looks like it is just 1-10 or something like that.  I was hoping they had both amperage ranges going round the dial.  To heck with it, it has not stopped me from burning any rods.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Rig welding = variety.