Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / all around or not for intermittent weld on circular flange?
- - By dsb1829 Date 08-21-2012 13:34
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but here goes...

I have a weldment dwg that I am updating.  It was a continuous sq. groove weld but was dumping too much heat into the adjacent parts.  My strength requirements allow me to go to an intermittent weld to dump some of the heat.  This is basically a round flange (for simplicity sake) and the intermittent callout would force 360° of weld.  Do I leave the all around symbol or remove it?  I couldn't find anything in AWS A2.4 that explicitly stated when to use or not use the symbol.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 08-21-2012 13:40
Next to the weld joint on the weld symbol can you specify skip welds with two numbers seperated by a dash (ie segment length and segment spacing?)  To make it real clear you could put a number ballon in the tail of the weld symbol and add a drawing note to explain.

OB
Parent - - By dsb1829 Date 08-21-2012 17:12
Maybe I wasn't clear.  My weld symbol has the weld size, groove symbol, and the lg-sp callout.  The length-spacing callout would create a weld that goes one full revolution around the flange.  Is it appropriate to use the all around symbol as well or is it redundant at this point?
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 08-21-2012 17:29
I suppose it might depend on how well your weldors understand symbols.  My fear would be that they would see the all around and weld continuous and ignore the other data.  But if they know they are skip welds then it might be better to leave the all around off.  But it is not wrong to use it in my opinion.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 08-21-2012 19:36
"My fear would be that they would see the all around and weld continuous and ignore the other data."/b]

Sometimes less is more. I agree that it is giving too much information and has the probability to be misinterpreted, and do exactly what you are trying to avoid.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 08-21-2012 21:29
Just a curious question: Will the flange contain any liquid or pressurized gas? If so, the weld can't be intermittent.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By dsb1829 Date 08-23-2012 17:59
No, it is a mechanical structure.  Although surrounded by fluid it serves no sealing function.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-21-2012 21:03
If the member is round, a weld all-around symbol is not needed. If the member is irregular in shape, i.e. a hollow structural shape, a square or rectangular bar, etc., the weld all-around symbol is required if a weld all-around is required.

The intermittent weld is not specificed by the length and the unwelded space. The minimum size of the weld, the minimum length of each segment, and the center to center dimension are required to be given on the welding symbol.

Hope that is the information you are looking for.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By dsb1829 Date 08-23-2012 18:13
Thanks to all for the thoughtful responses.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / all around or not for intermittent weld on circular flange?