Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME Section IX Question
- - By pipes (**) Date 08-30-2012 17:25
I was reading ASME Section IX today when I came across some language I had not noticed before, specifically the part I put in bold:

QW-201 Manufacturer’s or Contractor’s
Responsibility
Each manufacturer or contractor shall list the parameters applicable to welding that he performs in construction of weldments built in accordance with this Code. These parameters shall be listed in a document known as a Welding Procedure Specification (WPS). Each manufacturer or contractor shall qualify the WPS by the welding of test coupons and the testing of specimens (as required in this Code), and the recording of the welding data and test results in a document known as a Procedure Qualification Record (PQR). The welders or welding operators used to produce weldments to be tested for qualification of procedures shall be under the full supervision and control of the manufacturer or contractor during the production of these test weldments. The weldments to be tested for qualification of procedures shall be welded either by direct employees or by individuals engaged by contract for their services as welders or welding operators under the full supervision and control of the manufacturer or contractor. It is not permissible for the manufacturer or contractor to have the supervision and control of welding of the test weldments performed by another organization.

Is this to mean that the welding must be done with company supervision present? In other words I could not test a welder in my shop without a company rep present? Am I just reading this wrong? Thanks!
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-30-2012 22:32
You're reading it correctly pipes.

Outside of the USA I would say its the "norm" to subcontract this stuff to a test shop and I know it also happens inside the USA but the language is pretty clear.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 08-31-2012 01:16 Edited 08-31-2012 01:22
Jon / Pipes,
IMHO the clause is describing Weld Procedure Qualification - your question is regarding welder qualification.
You cannot as a manufacturer A request manufacturer B to qualify PQRs for you.
It must be done with company A's welders under the supervision and control of company A's representative.
Refer the sentence immediately preceding the one you have highlighted
Cheers,
Shane
Parent - - By pipes (**) Date 08-31-2012 03:40
Hmm...that makes more sense than what I was thinking. Would I be acting as a company rep by being the CWI contracted to conduct the test by the company? What I'm saying is whether it's procedure or performance qualification does it not lead you to believe that the company must supervise the welding while it's being done? I have written procedures for companies and had their welder weld in my shop many times with no other company reps....or wait...are you saying that the welder himself is the company rep vs having an independent welder do the welding....OK, I get it.
Parent - - By pipes (**) Date 08-31-2012 12:36
This leads me to another question. If a welder was employed by Company A and Company B could he do a procedure qualification for both companies by doing only one weld? That is to assume that Company A and Company B both agreed on this.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-31-2012 14:01
Look up "common arc"

:)
Parent - - By pipes (**) Date 08-31-2012 14:09
BRILLIANT! What a brilliant idea! I love it! Thanks Larry!
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-31-2012 23:52 Edited 08-31-2012 23:56
Shane, thanks for pointing that out (welder).  I read QW-201 and just mentally went straight to procedures.  :red:

Incidentally, CommonArc is brilliant, wish it would catch on quicker!

Further re procedures, in instances where there may be a very large job, there's nothing in ASME IX that would prohibit numerous contractors / subcontractors to qualify its PQRs / WPSs jointly; i.e., each contractor would have its own welder(s) take part in one or several test coupons.... and each contractors representative present recording the variables on its own forms...
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-03-2012 18:32
Talk about a cluster Fxxx!

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME Section IX Question