Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / voltage in pulsed tig
- - By hobart (*) Date 11-29-2012 05:15
hello dear friends
i'm student of welding engineering. i'm intrested in pulsed tig and i'm reading about that. i have a question, when current fluctuates between peak and base, what is the voltage situation? my mean is that how is the voltage fuctuations? same as current between two value? I was welded steel palte with pulsed current, Ip=130 and Ib=60 and frequency=10Hz, but our maachine didn't show voltage and I didn't have voltmeter. what is your opinion?
thanks for your attention
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 04-13-2013 08:24
Hi Hobart

Looking through some old posts, and saw that yours was not answered, so thought I would give it a go.

Generally speaking, the voltage is mostly a function of the arc length. Changes in current will change the voltage for a given arc length slightly, but not significantly. The current pulses in pulsed GTAW will therefore have little effect on the voltage, as the arc length remains constant.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 04-13-2013 10:35
Ozniek,

no offence, but there's already a thread exisiting on this.
'MMyers' and others provided valuable response to 'hobart'- to me at least, see also:

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=240516#pid240516

Regards
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 04-14-2013 01:37
Hi

Thanks for pointing that out. I have not been around for a while, so am going to miss this sort of double posting. You are right, the reply by MMyers was good.

Regards
Niekie
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / voltage in pulsed tig