Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / mig whip prob!
- - By sillyslik (**) Date 01-26-2013 02:14 Edited 01-26-2013 03:00
hi ! all! i have a tweco style whip 10'-15' long and i know the company orders wrong tips and nozzles so my tip is flush with nozzle(new) i cut my liners long,like 15 -18 laps past the diffuser( 7/8-11/16) long!i am using bohler .035 &.045 solid. so i have this arcing on the tip and false start, and intermitten sputter during weld! i have told my super to hack the dang thing up with an axe! making it hard to make my bones!any help would be a +! miller cv 302 and miller feeder. good drive rolls! no volt or amp changes ! and wire setting are good to run have not a problem before!my guess is the support spring in back of gun kinked or a limp whip in which a double length of double layer shrink wrap can solve! i get the arc at tip when gun is lean to right and canted 15 deg. take the bend out with free hand no problem!
i know is limp whip but i gotta get a 360 degree op from this pig!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-26-2013 20:02
How often do you change the contact tip?

It sounds as if you haven't changed it in a while.

Al
Parent - By sillyslik (**) Date 02-03-2013 23:34
i change tips as needed be it becomes distorted or to short or worn!
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 01-26-2013 22:45
You may have burr where you cut the liner. I usually file it after I cut of the extra. I had one doing exactly like you are describing. I changed the contact tip the insulator and diffuser and it was still arcing on the tip . I took diffuser off and checked the end of the liner. There was a little burr that the wire was dragging on. You could see where the wire had been arcing against the liner. I cut off just a little and filed it down. Put everything back on . Problem solved.
Parent - - By sillyslik (**) Date 02-03-2013 23:35
i cut my liners with a pair of dykes !
Parent - - By sillyslik (**) Date 02-03-2013 23:38
I was informed this week i will be changing to a bernard tough gun  tregas i think it is! i said i don't like the nozzles , boss says he has a change for that whip that just replaces the diffuser and  nozzle!
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 02-05-2013 01:48
I like trying new equipment. Sometimes I find something I like better than what I had before.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / mig whip prob!