Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aluminum AC pulsed GMAW?
- - By aevald (*****) Date 03-05-2013 15:43 Edited 03-05-2013 15:54
Hello all, just wondering if any of you have been exposed to this process yet. Our local Airgas distributor recently sent out this flyer and I am going to try to attend and see what it's all about. Best regards, Allan

OK, I couldn't upload the PDF file for the flyer. The machines are made by OTC Dahen and are called AC Wave Pulse. But I was able to find this link:

http://daihen.panyamedia.com/wp-content/uploads/pdfs/D-Series_revA_A446A.pdf
Parent - - By MMyers (**) Date 03-05-2013 16:21
Overall, it looks like Lincoln's Pulse on Pulse to me.  The high frequency waveform dictates the arc characteristics, the low frequency pulse controls the puddle.  I'm not seeing anything where they mention it's AC, meaning reverses polarity, but the technical meat in that sales doc is pretty sparse, as expected.  That said, there are some cool things you can do when you separate the arc behavior from the puddle behavior.
Parent - By TAC (*) Date 03-05-2013 17:28
Agreed.  Lincoln's PP technology is great imo.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-05-2013 17:51
Hello Mike and TAC, I was able to take the long way around the house and get an uploadable image that included the statements associated with AC GMAW, I believe that it is different/separate from the WAVE PULSE section. Maybe it'll attach this time. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By MMyers (**) Date 03-05-2013 19:23
Looks cool.  I wish I could attend but there's a few miles between, I'm in East Central PA.  Our local welding store is a OTC distributor, maybe I'll see if they know if a similar clinic will be held near me.  I'd really like to pick their brain to see what this thing can do.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-05-2013 20:55
Understand that Mike, I am curious to see how this technology performs. I have noticed discussions in various places before asking about this very topic. Regards Allan
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 03-05-2013 21:25
Hi Allan - Looks interesting.  We have a Thermal Arc SP setup (twin pulse) that is pretty sweet.  While our TA is quite an impressive machine, it seems the grads who go into aluminum welding end up using the massively less expensive Miller spool gun or XRA... which we do most of our (limited) aluminum MIG training on.

None the less, I would like to check this out!  Unfortunately though, I think I used up my goodwill time already at work for this year when I had to take some leave while a close family member was dying.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-05-2013 22:46
Sorry to hear about the family member, always a tough one there. If I go I'll try to make some comments on what it's about. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-06-2013 00:03
Hello again Blaster, got interrupted while I was composing the last reply, so back again now. We have 2 of the TA 320's with the smart guns, they are really nice combinations. Haven't run them as much as we would like to yet, but, that will change soon I am sure. We have also got one of the Miller Invision 352 MPa's w/the D74 MPa feeder- Alumapro gun on one side and the other side outfitted with a standard gun. In our last round of technological upgrades we put 8 XMT 350 MPa's w/ the S74 MPa feeders into place. All of these systems are capable of aluminum: twin-pulse, pulse on pulse, profile pulse or whatever the particular manufacturer is calling their aluminum wizardry. Once we learn some of the ins-and-outs of these they will put to much more use. Of course we still have a 30A spoolgun and an XRA push-pull set-up, either one of these can be outfitted with an Optima pulse pendant if so desired. So as aluminum joining challenges become more prevalent in our area we plan to address the needs as required. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By cddolan74 (**) Date 03-06-2013 18:31
aevald,
You will pretty impressed with what these guys are doing at OTC, I noticed them when the engineer had a publication done in the welding journal about his pulsed program on SS pipe with NO backing gas.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-06-2013 19:14
Hello Chris, I have had limited experience with the OTC products, yet, of those that I have been around, I found to be top-notch and very functional. Mainly, small inverter stick/tig units, have never run their GMAW/FCAW units. I am looking forward to seeing and getting a better understanding of the process and the results. Thanks and regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aluminum AC pulsed GMAW?