Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Weld Machine Qual vs Weld Procedure Cert??
- - By tdemartino Date 03-15-2013 18:55
Can anyone tell me the difference between weld machine Qualification and weld procedure Certification. 
Is the Machine Qual all about what materials & the thickness of materials my machine can sucessfully weld and a procedure cert is about variables like different materials (job specific) and different thickness being welded at one time?

Utimatley I have a job requiring me to get Machine Qualified & Weld Procedure Certified according to D17.2.  I need to know what my test samples should represent.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 03-15-2013 19:45
I don't have my D17.2 in front of me, but I know it spells out the requirements for machine and procedure quals almost clearly.
It even has pictures of test plate configurations.

The procedure qual is about ensuring your selected welding parameters are suitable for the application.

The machine qual is about ensuring your equipment is capable of replicating the same weld strength and penetration at the same parameters, weld after weld, with emphasis on RW equipment.

Have you looked at the Code?

Tim
Parent - By Robert Broyer Date 04-10-2013 12:44
Hello
  Like the previous reply everything you need is in D17.2 for resistance welding,and also refer to your customer spec, requirements. When  you qualify the machine make sure you use the material that is most difficult to weld, and the thinnest to thickest range that will more than cover the material thickness part type you have. 

Good luck.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Weld Machine Qual vs Weld Procedure Cert??