Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Actually found the missing weld
- - By Mwccwi (***) Date 07-15-2013 17:41
Actually found the missing weld? I did.
Attachment: MVC-007S.JPG (13k)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-15-2013 17:46
Did it fall off or did you have to pry it off? :twisted:
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 07-15-2013 19:02
Set the part on the table for a better look and the part fell off onto the floor in several pieces, the weld was one of the pieces. Iknow it's a sad situation but at least I actually found the missing versus indenifying were is should have been.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-15-2013 19:34
What we have here is a clear lack of ANY fusion/penetration. 

Do we have to guess?  Odds are: GMAW-S way to low in amps for the applicable parts supposedly welded? 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 07-15-2013 22:16
This was from several years ago at a company that I’m no longer associated with; I've been hesitant about posting on a public forum.
The process is GMAW-P, the welds were robotically applied, the programmer had the torch push the puddle down hill. This combined with spatter build up on the end of the nozzle are what I believe was the cause.
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 07-15-2013 22:04
Scary.  Now if someone can find the missing link.
Sorry. Just couldn't resist.

Griff
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 07-15-2013 23:40
Well this answers a burning question, "Whats the bottom of a fillet weld look like?"
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 07-16-2013 13:10
If I understand what your asking, that was the bottom. The face looked ugly.
Attachment: MVC-006S.JPG (0B)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-16-2013 14:39
Back in the day when I still made my living with a welding helmet I used to do a fair amount of repair work on cast iron. Most of the jobs were welded by someone else that slammed it together with "Nirod" or similar SMAW electrode. After a short while the weld deposit would separate from the cast iron. I used to keep a collection of such welds. At some point they were tossed.

I would then make the repair using cast iron rod and my handy dandy oxy-acetylene torch. Some of those repairs are still in service. Never had one come back because it didn't hold.

Al
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 07-17-2013 01:14
I have seen something like that before, but it was on a piece of railroad track it was welded without any pre-heat and GMAW the welds at a distance look good when you got close you could tell it had turn loose at the weld toe. it was a saw horse with a huge vise on it.

M.G.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Actually found the missing weld