Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D1.2 fillet weld WPS qualification
- - By BillC (**) Date 09-26-2013 03:58
D1.1 Table 4.2 note d says that "CJP groove weld qualification on any thickness or diameter shall qualify any size of fillet or PJP groove weld for any thickness or diameter"

Is there a similar statement hidden in D1.2?  We ran a CJP groove weld pipe test.  Do I still have to run a fillet weld test with macro and soundness test per 3.15.2?

Thanks,
BillC
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 09-26-2013 13:39
Table 3.3 in 2008 edition shows that depending on the position of your CJP, you qualify for quite a few plate and pipe groves and fillets.  dont see a requirement for macros on CJPs
Parent - - By BillC (**) Date 09-27-2013 14:10
Thanks.  You're right that Table 3.3 would lead to the conclusion that pipe groove CJP qualifies fillet welds, but it just doesn't say that anywhere in words.  3.15.2 says that "The following are required tests for fillet welds" and nowhere (that I can find) does the code explicitly say that a CJP groove test qualifies fillet welds, relieving me from 3.15.2 testing...
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 09-27-2013 14:37
Being a belt and suspenders kind of guy, if you are concerned that you might get called on this, I would probably just run the fillet tests.  They are cheap and simple, looks like 2 macros and 2 fractures per position on plate, and 2 macros and at least 4 fractures on pipe to plate.

I would be confident in the ability to argue that Table 3.3 is sufficient to show that if you pass all of the bends and tensiles for the CJP in pipe, per code, you are qualified on fillets.

From a practical perspective, fillets in Al can be tricky things, and just because a guy can weld the pipe groove, doesn't necessarily mean he can do the fillet.  I would probably run the fillet tests like above if you have a critical project, demanding paperwork audits, or welder performance concerns
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 09-28-2013 16:45
I believe that the weld qualification should represent the actual production joint as far practical. So, if your performing 99% fillet welds then you should really have a PQR and WPS etc for a fillet weld!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D1.2 fillet weld WPS qualification