Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / The Capitol dome is leaking
- - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-24-2013 19:38
Gentlemen,
access
www.nydailynews.com/news/national/capitol-dome
and you will read that the Capitol dome is leaking.

Repairs will take 2 years and will cost 60 million bucks. As the Capitol dome is made of cast iron, there will be plenty of work for welders, welding foremen, welding inspectors, welding engineers etc. etc.
Bad new for Congressmen, good new for welding reelated people.

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-24-2013 20:45
Link for capitol dome leaking:
Capitol Dome leak
Parent - By CWI7611 (**) Date 10-25-2013 19:47
I don't know that this is bad news for the rest of us people. Maybe if the congressmen get a little wet they will do a better job of governing, doubtful, but maybe. Wouldn't want to inconvenience them. That would be great, having a picture on the 6:00 PM news with the congressmen all having umbrellas over their heads. Couldn't hurt they never talk to each other anyway.

I wonder what legislation will be passed to get the work done. Maybe they will attach it to a bill for studying the mating habits of the fruit flies. Sounds good to me.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-26-2013 23:04
It's probably because all of the bu..shyte has gotten so deep inside of there and corroded it.
Parent - By hvymax (**) Date 11-06-2013 17:00
Ooooooh Ooooooh I'm in. This is even local for me.
- - By Dualie (***) Date 10-27-2013 09:53
who knew it was cast iron?  i  always figured it was plaster.    

I'm surprised were not just putting some JB weld on it and passing it on to the next generation
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-27-2013 19:07
Heh   are just not fixing anything and passing it on.....
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 10-30-2013 02:20
Can't some foreign govt. oops company fix it cheaper?
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-30-2013 10:36
Haha, maybe they have already hired them. :lol::lol:
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 10-30-2013 16:45
A word of advice from my past experience.  When they finally decide to repair the roof and are up there driving nails, they need to be sure to use the correct nails in the correct locations.  You can't just grab a nail every single time and simply drive it in.  Oh no.  That would be way too easy.  If you pick up a nail and the head is on the bottom, those are not roof nails.  Those are ceiling nails, dummy. I don't know why they mix roof nails and ceiling nails in the same box, but they do.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 10-30-2013 23:08
Actually, when they were looking for a bargain contractor in 1858, a New York firm did the job, for 7 cents a pound installed.

http://www.aoc.gov/capitol-buildings/capitol-dome
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / The Capitol dome is leaking