Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Birthdays
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-14-2013 13:35
Anyone else notice that everybody who had birthdays this week have zero posts, but each one has all sorts of spam and links in their bio?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-14-2013 17:54
I noticed a lot of names I didn't recognize. 

I usually send pm's for birthdays unless someone else starts a thread, then I give open congrats.  Even then, only to the ones I correspond with regularly on this forum.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-15-2013 12:09
There are six members of the forum whom have B-Days today and all of them have zero posts and bio's chucked full of spam and links.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-15-2013 12:49
Interesting.  Trying to get just one click from an unsuspecting soul and cause all kinds of havoc. 

Thanks for being on guard for those things John. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-16-2013 11:31
4 out of 7 today are members with zero posts and spam and links in their bio
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-16-2013 16:11
Man, this could become all out war.  Are we having an attack on the system to try to introduce viruses or just cause confusion? 

Whatever, I wish they could be dealt with in a more permanent fashion.... :twisted: 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-16-2013 16:41
It's been this way for a while now...nothing new, I was just bringing it up for discussion. I generally try to keep a check on the birthdays when I log on and wish some folks a Happy one. I miss a few due to the fact that I don't log on everyday of the year, but I try.
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-17-2013 11:45
4 out of 5 meet the spam criteria today, including a polish dentist.............interesting!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-17-2013 13:54
I think bringing it up for discussion is a good idea John.  People, such as myself, who are computer challenged need to be aware of the dangers everywhere, including this forum.  There is no way to control all of them. 

New people need to know we have areas of concern and to be careful when looking through the site and clicking on everything 'blue'. 

I have preferred sending birthday people a pm unless someone else starts an open thread because the person is one of our very frequent participants and wanted to acknowledge them openly.  Then I post birthday well wishes on their thread.  As we did with Wade awhile back.  That one was still strange, I haven't figured out rather it was actually Lawrence's birthday or not.  When Wade modified his thread with an additional post, I looked at Bdays and did not see Lawrence there.  Then later, Lawrence responded with what he had done that day as though it had been.   :confused: 

Oh, well.  Past now.  I just wish people in this world would stop trying to make everyone else's day miserable with all the non-sense viruses and other methods of messing us up and/or stealing our id's.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-17-2013 14:04
Would it be an idea if people who register with this site and then are inactive for an agreed amount of time are removed? I know some sites that use this method to keep spammers etc in check. People who are removed in error (sickness etc) would need to be looked at but I'm sure an email would sort that out.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-21-2013 13:06
John,

There has to be some kind of guard system that can be employed.  This is going beyond funny, strange, or reasonable.  Especially when most of these coming up on the list each day are known spammers with public records easily researched by admins, mods, and the everyday guy like Glyn.  Okay, so Glyn isn't just and everyday kind of guy, you know what I mean.  :lol: :lol:

Now we're going to get the hammer on the head about refusing the system Roque wanted to put into place instead of this one a couple of months back.  I still think the members spoke as requested and made a good choice.  But there has to be a way to deal with this before it becomes a problem.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 11-18-2013 02:15
Maybe everyone registering needs to send someone an email explaining why they want to be registered in order to become registered. That should weed out a lot of spammers.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-18-2013 12:47 Edited 11-18-2013 12:50
Probably take a full time person to be that kind of an administrator.  That would probably bring back the discussion on advertisements on the forum or fees for membership/services above and beyond our AWS membership in order to provide for that service. 

Not that it is a bad idea.  Several of the groups I participate in on Linked In have an intro and request to join feature which weeds out some.  Then, if they violate the group rules they can be easily removed. 

More removing needs to be done here.  We don't need to keep them just to have numbers.  The forum provides a service for those seeking advice, knowledge, and experience guidance and those staying more active to be discussion participants need to maintain a certain standard.  We don't need a mass of numbers who are only here for their own profit financially or to cause problems for others.

Are we seeing the same thing again today?  Where are all of these names coming from?  I don't think I have ever seen so many birthdays on consecutive days and names I don't recognize in any way.  This is getting totally out of control.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 11-18-2013 13:15
Real name Dorota
Website http://www.e-tam.net.pl
Birthday 1993-11-18
Location USA

Interesting. Located in the USA with a Polish website.
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-18-2013 15:35
Seems like the forum is very popular over in poland. :confused:

On a more, very serious note, I hope people are being very cautious on clicking on these links. There is a very nasty piece of malware going around called 'cryptolocker'. This will basically encrypt all your documents on your computer then pop up a ransom demand usually for $300 for the password to allow access to your own documents. At present, once you docs are encrypted there is little you can do. If you pay then they have your credit card details as well. Make sure your virus protection is up to date.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 11-18-2013 18:19
I don't see how it could be a full time job, I mean there are not hundreds of people registering each day (or are there?) I would imagine just a couple a day are legitimate.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-18-2013 18:48
I'm just guessing with the number of these that seems to now be popping up every day.  Admins I know on other sites say keeping up with these people takes a tremendous amount of their time.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-19-2013 11:21
3 out of 4 today. It's my new hobby!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-19-2013 12:44
What a hobby!!  'What do you do in your spare time?' 'Oh, I just sit around and check out all the spammers and their backgrounds on the AWS Welding Forum.' 

I'm glad you find it that interesting Glyn.  Really, someone has to do those things.  But then, that is why we have admins and mods.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-20-2013 15:25
5 out of 5 today:cry:
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-21-2013 08:34 Edited 11-21-2013 20:07
6 out of 6 today :confused:
Parwel434 seems like a bit of a wine connoisseur!
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-21-2013 20:12
chraniskis9 says his job is cleaning Kraków.:confused:
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-21-2013 21:05
:confused:  GREAT!!  :confused:

Brent
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-22-2013 09:16
Happy Birthday CTacker, the only genuine member who's birthday it is today!
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 11-22-2013 21:46
Thanks Glyn. Half a century seems old. I just hope it isn't all downhill from here.
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-22-2013 23:00
Being fifty takes stamina and endurance that even youth doesn't offer.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-23-2013 04:22
Hope you had a good one.  And I agree with Glyn, work smarter not harder, don't need youth for that...just wisdom from years of learning.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 11-24-2013 01:05
Thanks Brent, Had a great day with the wife (after work).  I always use the flashlight behind the gage, but my eyes are no what they used to be. My CWI renewal now lists corrective lenses required.  I also agree to work smarter, that has served me well in my career and still to this day.
Regards,
Carl
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 11-24-2013 01:07
I your still bored Glyn, you can also count the ones with avatars separate. :grin::grin::grin:
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-27-2013 14:22
Would a possible solution be to add some type of "condition" to membership that requires some activity.

Since the activity of users is stored in a database, just a few queries could provide a list of "inactive" users. Through another "append" query could be used to place messages in the individual users forum account notifying them of the intent to deactivate their account. After a given amount of time, those accounts are deactivated.

This may not be something that is possible through the forum software but I am pretty sure the data on the backend is accessible.

The criteria for selection would have to be decided but after it is done the queries could be used in the future.

Have a great day.

Gerald
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 11-27-2013 19:57
Is logging in a activity, if not I don't like your condition. I read the posts regularly but seldom post (mostly because by the time I get caught up on the reading someone else has posted replys that make my potential addition redundant.)
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 11-27-2013 21:08
I think the system also records that activity. I know on  many forums the software allows admins to see activity.

But who knows. Maybe as someone told me, AWS may like 22k members. Sometimes quantity its considered quality.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-28-2013 00:47
When you click on others names you can't see it, but, if you click on your own to see your stats and personal info it tells you what time you just then signed on and the previous time.

Thus, with your suggestion, the system should be able to be restarted for each member whenever they sign in. 

I know though that many times I will look at the forum without even signing in.  You would want to be careful about that if you were close to your get the boot time.  Then, there are many who never sign out.  They just leave themselves logged in all the time.  I don't care for that myself.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-28-2013 02:43 Edited 11-28-2013 02:49
Is there a rule that states that you must sign out every time you leave the forum???
And, how does somebody staying signed on affect everybody??? Does it cause harm to the system?

I ask these questions because I am signed on all the time and I never was told not to do that, nor do I see how that could be a problem so, if someone does know why not signing off is a problem then please enlighten me!

I also find it easier to get on to the forum this way.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-28-2013 03:51
No Henry.  I was only saying that I personally don't like it.  It's just a 'me' thing.  Nothing about the forum, rules, computer safety,  just me.  And by staying on, if they were to set something up as the guys were just talking about, then I would think the member would always be current.  But, I don't know.  I'm really over my head here.  Computers and I .... well, we just don't play well together.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-23-2013 13:13
How pathetic.  Today's list looks like a pandora's box to me.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-23-2013 16:01
Happy Birthday Charles and Jeremy!!! Not gunna bother with the other 8 listed for today. I wonder how many of these spam accounts there can be?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-24-2013 12:45
I don't know.  But, judging by the numbers coming across everyday for the past couple of weeks there must be a lot.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-24-2013 14:21
Look at it this way:

Of this forum's 22,000 subscribers just over 2000 are active at least once per year.  Just under 2000 are active at least once every 90 days.

At the rate we see these spammer birthdays, we have about 2000.  The same as our active member numbers.  That equals 10% of our membership for both. 

Not a favorable number in my mind.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-24-2013 14:43
4 out of 4 today are spammers!

Has anyone noticed that all these account seem to have started around October or beginning of November this year?

Brent, just under 10% actually, not real good statistics when viewed in daylight but as long as the sight has a core membership, who have regular input then not an issue. It would be nice if the forum had a larger population who contributed, especially on some of the more technical matters. I do think the Admin should cull these spam accounts though!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-24-2013 23:21
So, what was going on in October/November that sparked such an increase in spammer activity and enrollment to this forum? 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 11-25-2013 05:07
Could be someone wants to change the forum?
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 11-25-2013 08:13
Conspiracy Theorist!
Actually, I thought your suggestion of submitting a "Letter of Intent", ie. an invitation and acceptance was an excellent idea.
I'm sure there is a downside to that as well.
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 11-26-2013 01:07
The only downside I see is getting someone to do it, But if there were a dozen or two regular members that could approve someone then that downside would go away., or start a voting section where people wanting to join can post something and the regulars vote them in.
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-26-2013 11:49
6 out of 6 today:evil:
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-26-2013 12:42
John,

I hope you have just been pre-occupied with your trip to Fabtech and have not forgotten about this problem child you brought up to us.

This is really a serious matter.  Is there not some way of dealing with this?  And why did this go so prolific shortly after an attempt by the admins to change us to a different format that the regular users all rejected?  Did we make this a target that was seen as vulnerable?

Just wondering.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-26-2013 13:38
Brent,
I'd love to go to FabTech as I've never had the pleasure of attending.

But regarding the spammers, I've just been sitting back watching it for quite a while now, I only brought it up the other day to see how many others(regulars) had noticed. I guess there isn't a huge push to eliminate these posters since they are not actually posting everyday and when they do I axe the spam as soon as I know about it so their post counts stay at zero.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-26-2013 14:02 Edited 11-26-2013 14:12
Brent,
I think you're wondering too much...

This is happening to many sites and forums worldwide... These schmuck flood the site they choose so that there's always someone that'll get caught in their net so to speak but, as long you know how to protect yourself, that shouldn't be able to take over your comp or grab your private info as easily as you might suspect because you have to leave yourself wide open for that to happen and it has nothing to do with the proposed upgrades because we're talking about virus and spyware/malware that cannot be eliminated all together and there's no type of software out there that can totally protect us from this...

The only thing that can be done to prevent penetration that leads to hijacking the controls of this site or yours is to design redundancy into the system by adding new software as well as hardware that act as firewalls and detection systems to sort out any types of attack and 46.00 made the point that one must keep their software up to date which I totally agree with and yet, many folks use the excuse that they really don't have the time to run and their updated software to check for anything new that may or may not have slipped through and was either deleted or arrested in the quarantine area to the software because it doesn't make sense to have the protection and not use it or totally depend on only scheduled checks that do not always catch threats on a timely basis and is just one other attribute that these hacker look for as it is pointing out to them that they can depend on the software to only scan at certain hours of the day making it easier for them to predict when the optimal time to attack a computer will be...

The complicated part of using redundant software to protect your system is that many applications tend to conflict with one another, but if one carefully schedules their systems to be scanned with a variety of applications at different intervals during the day, week and monthy basis, and adjusting those intervals each month or whatever time frame you choose to fluctuate your choices will keep the hacker wondering when to attack because the point is to keep them confused, and to make sure they cannot record your patterns because you're constantly adjusting them... Cloud based anti-virus, malware protection is relatively new and yet it is tied directly to the software manufacturer so that your system is constantly monitored directly by them and any adjustment can be made on the fly so to speak...

I have some cloud based software as well as multiple firewall layers that make it very hard for these hackers to break into my own system of multiple computers in my private network @ home and as long as I also keep tabs of all the components that protect and verify that they are indeed doing there jobs, I don't have anything get through my shields, but I don't pretend to say that it's an easy thing do do and maintain because it isn't always.

There are all sorts of hardware firewalls out there being sold to larger corporations that do a great job also in protection from attacks but nothing is permanently impenetrable as the hackers always find ways to exploit systems mainly because somebody stopped being ever vigilant and/or patterns were kept for prolonged periods of time, to missing an update that should be done or programmed to be downloaded on a regular basis with an alert to warn you that you need to perform an immediate new scan on your system so that these hackers don't have optimal times to probe and adjust their own methods of attack also which would in essence leave yourself very vulnerable indeed if you don't keep them off balance and guessing!

Does this mean that if you use the internet 24/7 and are online all the time and are very dependent to being able to do e-commerce, and your site handles many transactions on a daily basis, then YES you probably do need to have someone hired to be responsible in monitoring the system for you and to make the necessary adjustment in order to thwart any potential intrusions if you cannot do it yourself...

So it's a little more complicated than just upgrading one's forum software especially if the other encompassing (Enterprise for example) software and hardware used to protect the entire system and network used to run the forum software is not always updated and checked regularly to properly monitor everything.... I could go on but, I'll just end with the fact that the best we can all do is to minimize the threats as opposed to eliminate them completely because that will never happen, and as I already pointed out in general terms, everything needs to be constantly checked and finally, there are no excuses for not staying vigilant in protecting yourself from attack originating from cyberspace and, even then you cannot eliminate the threat completely but you can keep them off balance and guessing by not establishing patterns of how you protect your systems and how you operate - PERIOD!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-26-2013 15:41
Thanks Henry and John.

The info is much appreciated Henry.  Most computer things go over my head but overall I think I do a fair job of protecting myself.  And I don't keep much for personal info on it and use it at a minimum for transactions.  And thank goodness for a son who is a computer geek. 

John, sorry, I thought you were going.  It is a very worthwhile event and I regret not being able to go this year.  I made the last two but things just didn't work out this year.  It is amazing how we look forward to seeing those we seldom get to see any other time.  This community is a 'family' to me. 

Anyway, as long as it is not overwhelming to control then I guess it is more of just a curiosity item for those of us who started observing it more.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-26-2013 17:11
Can't afford to go on my own :cry: and my employer has never wanted to spend that kind of money to send me on a vacation.:sad:
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Birthdays
1 2 Previous Next