Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Birthdays
1 2 Previous Next  
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-26-2013 20:46
I would just like to reiterate Hanks words of wisdom regards computer security! I consider myself quite an experienced user but this new 'ransomeware' is the most malicious I have seen ever.  There is NO cure for an infection. You have lost everything in MS office or PDF on that computer and it will try and infect external hard drives and even those based in the 'cloud'. Not quite sure about how that is managed, but it does try! I have had two of my colleagues infected this past month with this and it seems to originate from email links! The only chance you have is to use your computers system restore points to try and recover the encrypted docs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CryptoLocker
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-26-2013 22:05
Here's an article you may find interesting 46.00 and anyone else who wants to read it regarding the CryptoLocker "Ransomeware" menace:

http://www.darkreading.com/sophoslabs-insights/what-you-need-to-know-about-cryptolocker/240164183?cid=SBX_dr_related_mostpopular_default_end_user&itc=SBX_dr_related_mostpopular_default_end_user

I also know a thing or two about a thing or two! :eek::roll::wink::lol::cool: Look, backing up yur files to offline drive that you periodically use will generally  give you the option to save what you deem important and critical... There are efforts to create what is known as DNS "sinkholes" that act sort of like what black holes do to stars when they get too close to them... Primarily these sinkholes are already in use to capture and disarm botnets that can also be pests as well so it's only logical to create a custom set of sinkholes to capture this Trojan malware known as CryptoLocker,,, Encrypting everything beforehand also helps... In fact there are many techniques one can use to defend themselves form a potential kidnapping... I do believe the best way ot defend oneself from these sort of malicious monsters is to become totally proactive in building a dynamic layered defense architecture that's based on the results of constant testing of one's network system to reveal any vulnerabilities and like I mention above, always keep them guessing by changing software and like the article recommends, periodically back-up and wipe your drive clean and keep the back up offline and again keep the enemy guessing because this is WAR and this is REAL!!!:yell::evil::twisted::roll::lol::cool: So don't get complacent and become proactive... I like to use booby traps myself as well as the equivalent to Claymores in cyberspace to welcome them with a very nasty surprise!!!:eek::wink::lol::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-26-2013 22:42
Very interesting and also quite enlightening into how vulnerable people are to this type of attack!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-27-2013 00:15
Glyn,

I no longer am into welding like I used to be, and it's been a few years now that I have been transitioning to become more exposed to IT, and I am currently especially interested in Network engineering but, I'm in no hurry so I learn what I can and at my own pace so that I can keep myself busy while on treatments...
I am glad that this article has attracted your interest. :lol::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-27-2013 00:48
Very much so, Thank you!!
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-27-2013 11:17
7 for 7 today! :twisted:
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-28-2013 05:46
Happy Birthday Brad! :grin:
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-29-2013 11:11
That's it, I'm beat!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-06-2013 13:35
Seems we are having a few good days in a row this week,

I've seen only birthdays for forum users with post counts above zero for the past few days :cool:
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 12-06-2013 19:58
I wasn't sure whether they had died down or had been censored?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-06-2013 20:12
Not sure, it did come to a quick halt. At the rate it was going, we were really piling on the members at a pretty good clip. Too bad they were only spammers looking to get a link posted somewhere.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-09-2013 12:16
So what is the policy on links? I sometimes place a link to either my generic website at my signature or in the cases where I have a specific page related to a post,I link to that page.

Is that not appropriate? I do understand the difference in my links and some of the other spam but still don't want to be doing something frowned upon. I have been pretty busy and not real active hear so haven't contributed much but want to do it within the "rules" of the community.

Have a great day.

Gerald
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-09-2013 12:25
Gerald,

I'm sure John will chime in and give you an official view but as far as I am concerned your links, Henry's, and many others are fine.  It is the base spam links that are in view here.  Those with an agenda for trouble.  Most of the time their stuff has nothing to do with anything here.  You can tell something is up the minute you read their post because it makes no sense but has links attached either in the text of the post or in the signature space. 

Then, there are others who are just promoting a personal webpage of some kind and do know what they are talking about but are more interested in promoting themselves or their business/webpage than actually contributing to this forum.

But those posting links to help others are not an issue.  We all do that on occasion. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-09-2013 13:51
Gerald,
I have no problem with links perse' in our members bio information. I don't see anything wrong with adding links to your website like you have or links to your place of work. The spam is different and the spammers have figured out the only way to get the links to stick and not be deleted was to place it in their bio or signature lines. I don't have the admin rights to go into that information and edit out the links.

You guys do a pretty good job helping me police the spam, so it gets deleted pretty quickly once one of you alert me to it or I happen upon it in the mornings while I'm reading the new activity since my last sign on.
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 12-09-2013 14:06
I was out on a job site the other day and I saw some plumbers hooking a drain line to a spammer.  They had mistakenly connected it to the wrong sewer..... or did they? Regardless, I waited until I was ready to leave to tell them.
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Birthdays
1 2 Previous Next