Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / structural building codes
- - By theelee87 (*) Date 11-18-2013 19:05
Was asked for a quote from a local school district (in central kansas) to give them a bid for a new press box behind and above the stadiums existing beachers. My question is where would I be able to get structual building codes for the area? Also I know there is a code book for handrail and also stairways and walkways buildings ect., where would I be able to get ahold of one of these books? I would be doing just the metal frame work and another organization would be coming in to finish the wood construction portion. thanks in advance
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-18-2013 19:19
To start with, contact an engineer.  Especially at a school I would not even begin to go it alone.  They will be able to design everything to both the strength limits that will be required as well as the local building codes that apply.

But, you should have a copy of IBC 2006 or 2012.  You will need to reference sections on egress, steel (ch 22), and inspections (ch 17).  Ch 17 & 22 will also contain some info on Bolting as well as welding.  Then, check to see what your city and/or county does when accepting new releases of IBC.  They may have several pages worth of amendments that apply to state and local codes that vary from the IBC.  For instance, IBC says pool fences need to be 4' high.  State of AZ says 5'.  So, anything I do must meet state and local minimum 5' height requirements. 

Many states will have different requirements for residence, public access buildings (schools, govt offices, etc), commercial, and others.  You have started correctly by trying to locate where to look.  I will have to look later at my copies of specifications on railings but most of what you need will be in the IBC under the section with egress. 

Amazon, Overstock, Barnes and Noble, even Wal-Mart and Home Depot, usually have them.  But start with a local engineer.  They will have them and be able to tell you where to get them. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 11-18-2013 20:58
As for rails and stairs, here's a link to free downloads of NAAMM manuals.  I have them all in my library.  They include the 555-92 Code Of Standard Practice, the 521-01 Pipe Railing Systems, the 510-92 Metal Stairs, and the 500-06 Metal Finishes manuals: 

http://www.naamm.org/amp/amp_technical_literature.aspx

If they're looking for quotes, they should have a set of specifications that should reference all the applicable codes.
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 11-23-2013 03:15
Scottn,

Great set of references you posted.  I downloaded them all and will be digging in over the w/e.  Non Naama memership has prevented me from accessing their site and I was surprised to see these even available, and free no less.  Thanks for the contribution.
- - By Dualie (***) Date 11-20-2013 07:46
i would definitely get an engineer of record on board,  way way way to much liability in tackling this yourself
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 11-20-2013 20:38
Were contract documents provided for you to bid the project?  Plans/drawings/specifications?  If so, then they will reference everything you need to be aware of.  Additionally, unless the press box steel unit' design if part of your scope of work, all the design questions such as connection details, member sizes, height of railing, spacing of posts, weld size call outs ect., are in your contract documents and you follow that.  If those elements of design are part of your scope of work it will state the requirement that they be provided by a proffesional engineer who will provide stamped drawings and calculations to support the design.  Who is asking for your bid?  The GC or the Owner [school]?  In either case one of them needs to provide you the complete set of contract documents so you know all of the conditions you are bidding.  If a GC is asking for your bid without providing or directing you to the contract documents they are leading you down the primrose path at best, wasting your time or setting you up at worst.  As this is a school project it most likely being paid for by taxpayer money which makes this a Public Works Project which requires specific understanding of the contractual process which is always costly to learn by trial and error [ask me how I know].  Best to go back to the party that requested your bid and have them give you the project documents so you know what it is you are actually bidding.  Best of luck.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 11-20-2013 22:47
I knew as soon as I heard the opening question .......Something is sideways here...... I've put up TONS of steel for high school stadiums and either your dealing with a G.C. or PUBLIC  ( advertised) bid.....The later you have to provide EVERTHING from bid bond, insurance, performance & materials bonds......And you might even have to get "engineer stamped" drawings if the schools architect wants to cover their arse if something fails........The schools architect has written specs. for the job, if you want to bid this job you need to get in on the ground floor, so you have time to research everything for a competent bid......If you THINK your going to just do the job without a " FORMAL BID" your sadly mistaken , just because you have an "IN" with a shop or gym teacher or the football coach or head janitor don't mean chit......
Parent - - By theelee87 (*) Date 11-21-2013 03:25
I wont lie, Ive never dealt with anything like this. Im just and oilfield rig welder with a fab shop. I kind of laughed under my breath tho when I heard about the idea, I knew it would entail alot more than what simple plan they had in mind. I got a call from a teacher who who teaches the idustrial arts/ building construction classes at the district. The school is a 1A school in central KS, (Great Bend area).  At school districts football stadiums similar in size to this one i have seen beachers/press boxes structrures relative to this one. They are just pieced together structural oilfield pipe with a few boards screwed down. for seating. In the past, when they think they need more bleachers or a building, they have the schools shop teacher come down with a few of his classes and boom, after a few weeks there you go, more seating. There has never been an engineered drawing for any of it. Schools architect.... whats that? lol. Im sure many of you have seen and know exactly what im talking about.  The idea was for me to take out the existing metal structure that was the press box or add to it, then fab up a larger two story 8' x 20' building. I'm just doing the metal fab part, the building construction teacher with his classes was going to do the rest, Wood/ carpentry work.

I havent responded to them with anything knowing that liabilty and numerous other variables are a huge issue on a so called "simple" plan as this.  Like I said Ive havent dealt with anything like this and i know theres alot more guys on here with knowledge for these type of projects.  Im just hoping to gain some advice and what some steps would be before i go onto them with anything.

Again I appreciate the help and thanks for your time
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-21-2013 12:54
Yes,  I have dealt with many such cases back in the 70's and 80's.  But in the more recent past and now currently there are many code and liability issues.

That's why I recommended the engineer.  But, on the less expensive side, probably the best place to start would be YOUR County Building Officials.  Go in and talk to them to see what is required in your area. 

Even today, every jurisdiction is going to be slightly different.  And it could be that in rural Kansas there are still things that get done with less expense than those things we have so far suggested.

BUT, I would be very careful and make sure that someone has gotten their ducks in a row.  Even if the school is allowed to do some of this 'on their own' and not put it out to bid and have the drafting class to the plans and the students do this and that (yes, been there and done that) I/you should still want a certain amount of official oversight such as at least a review by an engineer.  And I would think all jurisdictions would have a certain level of inspections that would need to be completed.

Bottom line, your OP mainly asked about books you could get.  Sure, there are many out there.  But much of that is above our paygrade.  You need to find out all of your legal responsibilities first.  Then start dealing with your code responsibilities.  Then, if allowed in that location, work with them to come up with what they want.

Having said all that, remember this is from a guy that gets accused often on this forum of pushing for code adherence.  My little company here in rural N. AZ has more certs, insur, licenses, and paperwork than most people even begin to understand.  And I go to the city or county, depending on whose jurisdiction the job will be in, and find out if the customer/engineer/General Contractor has everything in order.  It is not a 'SIMPLE' process.  But we are dealing with public safety and those kids are either kids you know, kids of someone you know, or grandkids of someone you know.  Plus, I wouldn't want to be known as the guy on the news who killed all those kids with below properly engineered standard work that didn't hold up.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-21-2013 20:15
Wise words Brent!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / structural building codes