Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASTM A1064 Welded Wire Reinforcement - Shop Repairs
- - By inhoc1310 Date 11-19-2013 22:51
Hi folks.  New to the forum.

Is anyone aware of a reference standard for "shop repair" arc welding of welded wire reinforcement sheets?  If there is no reference standard (which based on what I can find, is the likely response), then does anyone have any personal experience with this issue they could share?  Said WWR sheets would be used as tensile reinforcement in structural concrete.  Assume scrapping the WWR in favor of new sheets is not an option.

ASTM A1064 Section 6.2 is pretty explicit in stating "Longitudinal and transverse wires shall be securely connected at every intersection by a process of electrical resistance welding which employs the principle of fusion combined with pressure", but this should come as no surprise given it's the standard specification for welded wire. 

Where the "door is left open" is via commentary section R3.5.2 in ACI 318 that states:

"Welding of wire to wire... is not covered by AWS D1.4.  If welding of this type is required on a project, the contract documents should specify requirements of performance criteria for this welding.  If cold drawn wires are to be welded, the welding procedures should address the potential loss of yield strength and ductility achieved by the cold-working process (during manufacture) when such wires are heated by welding.  These potential concerns are not an issue for machine or resistance welding as used in the manufacture of welded plain and deformed wire reinforcement covered by ASTM A1064."

So in that statement, my focus immediately goes to "...should specify requirements of performance criteria for this welding."  If there is no published basis on which to develop performance criteria, then is it safe to assume that the only recourse is for the shop itself to develop performance criteria through testing of its own (a custom PQR, if you will)? 

Thanks for your time!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-20-2013 00:32
WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Have you checked the ASTM information sheet for that steel?  It may give you the answer you need.  I don't have mine here right now, must be at the job site.  Beyond that you may need to run anything past the engineer to request his code application.  RFI's are cheap though not always very fast.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By inhoc1310 Date 11-20-2013 14:01
A1064 is actually replacing A82, A185, A496, and A497, and unfortunately there is not much therein beyond what I quoted above.  Duly noted regarding an RFI to the engineer, though in my experience their response would likely be an unflinching rejection and request for new sheet.  And if that's the case, so be it.  I guess I would just be surprised that there isn't a formal procedure or reference out there for this type of repair.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-20-2013 14:40
Okay, I can't find any of those numbers in the ASTM Standards of Selected Structural items.  Nor can I find anything addressing your problem in IBC. 

Maybe one of the other guys will have had some experience dealing with this and be able to offer some advice.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 11-20-2013 18:48
I would suggest finding the wire mesh manufacturer and contact them.  The wire mesh manufacturer supplied the wire mesh to meet ASTM A1064, but they had to be supplied the wire or the rod that was used to produce the mesh.  The wire or rod was more than likely produced to meet ASTM A510, the Standard Specification for General Requirements for Wire Rods and Coarse Round Wire, Carbon Steel, and Alloy Steel.   The various grades that are commonly specified for carbon steel wire rods and coarse round wire should be included in the ASTM A510 specification.   From their documentation, the wire mesh manufacturer should be able to trace which grade the wire or rod was manufactured to.  Once the grade is determined, a PQR or WPS can be made.  Just a thought.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-23-2013 15:53
I'm not claiming to be an expert on this particular subject, so take my opinion for what it is worth.

Welded wire fabric doesn't depend on the strength of the weld between the "wires" to develop "strength." Wire fabric is usually used for crack control. That is, it is intended to prevent cracks in concrete decks, sidewalks, etc. In reality, the welds are intended to hold the wires in position while the concrete is placed. When the concrete is reinforced to develop strength, i.e., the steel transfers tensile loads and the concrete the compressive loads, concrete reinforcing bars are used.

Concrete reinforcing bars are wired together for the purpose of holding the rods in place until the concrete is placed. The ties have to be secure enough to keep the bars from being displaced while the forms are erected and the concrete placed and vibrated. The strength is a function of the rebar strength and the bond developed between the concrete and deformation of the bars, i.e., the interaction is dependent on the mechanical interaction of the deformed bars and the concrete. 

Now, back to the original question and why is there a concern for welding the wire mats? Are you simply repairing welds that broke or for some other purpose?

Al
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 11-24-2013 08:51
Is it possible to mechanically connect a "Patch" under the same specs that would dictate the joining of 2 or more mats together. Otherwise wire in a piece with the same overlap requirements as the RodBusters would do in the field.
My understanding of concrete's roll as a construction material is that it has lousy tensile strength and excels in accepting compressive loads.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASTM A1064 Welded Wire Reinforcement - Shop Repairs