Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Short workshop stick welding wanted
- - By Uvictor Date 12-02-2013 13:21
I need to learn basic welding and want a short 2 -3 day intensive basic sick welding workshop/training for personal welding needs. Willing to travel.
This for use in my ranch and general odd projects.
Need cost and available dates in dec between 9-14, 19-21, 26-28
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-02-2013 13:35
welcome to the forum, what area/location are you looking in for this training?

Just thinking that if you included a location or a range that you are willing to travel that you may get a better reply to your posting.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-02-2013 14:45
Our class is open enrollment and all fees are paid by the workforce development program. Located in the northeast corner of Mississippi.

In two to three days you are limited in how much you can learn.

Unfortunately. Our classes are at night on Tuesday and Thursday so you would have some wasted time. I am pretty sure Lincoln and hobart have 1 week classes.

You can check out their program at http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/education-center/welding-school/Pages/welding-school.aspx
Parent - By Uvictor Date 12-04-2013 00:31
Thanks, I looked at the Lincoln site, no classes in Dec  So I do not think they are an inmediate option
My view is that I need to get some hands on doing simple basic stick. I can understand the theory and the safety basics. The doing is whete I need to concentrate in.
This is why I came up with this notion of a 2-3 day workshop training idea.
Parent - By Plasma56 (**) Date 12-03-2013 19:49
Want to trade for personal training? I assure you I come with the necessary qualification, experience and free time to offer you help. If you want to come to Edmonton, equipment, resources and space.
What I would like is an escape from the cold of Edmonton Alberta Canada. Meet new people, see new things and do something new and different in my retirement.
It's  -20C today. Any chance your in some place warm?  If this is of interest to you please reply back. I'm sure you will not be disappointed and all it takes it to make a new friend.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-04-2013 09:45
UVictor,
Where are you located?
Unless you are just wanting to come to the USA, I have an option for you that would maximize your available dates.
Just fly me to your place and then I could train you on your own equipment. Best way to learn is by doing, and we could get some of your odd projects scratched off the list.
I am available from December 15th until Jan 1st. With me doing the traveling that would add a couple more days to your training.
PM me if you are interested and we can work on the details.
Parent - - By Uvictor Date 12-04-2013 21:00
I am in panama. The reason I want to go to the US is I have to go to US tompickup some stuff in FL for Christmas, I arrive via Houston.

But then I can fly and drive around to other areas.

The reason I do not do it here is because of the effort to take time to learn and practice away from my city job (office work)

The idea of any and all escaping winter is great and will gladly help put together any plan as such.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 12-04-2013 21:33
Danged it! I'd rather meet you in Panama. I really need some beach time! I have machines, but no facility. Well I do, but the "shop/lab" would be more conducive to training you for North Slope conditions.
I was planning to be in Houston during the time frame of your posted dates, 26th-? and could bring a Maxstar 150 for a quicky hands on...
Possibly 2nd week in February at your place? I need some beach time, or have I already said that?
- - By Uvictor Date 12-03-2013 13:22
Thanks for comments, all noted.
I live outside the US and can basically travel anywhere, however will prefer places near or reasonably near to airports, can and will drive as required (preferably no blizzard driving training required)
I have down time in december and will like to make use of that time.
Rgds
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-03-2013 14:47
That leaves Mississippi out. They rely on hot air balloons, horse drawn wagons, and only have cattle paths from one town to another.

Just kidding. I worked in Mississippi back in the "70's" and enjoyed every minute. I probably would have stayed there had it not been for the tornados. They scared the devil out of my wife. It didn't help when my young son (a toddler at the time) stumbled into a fire ant nest. Luckily the next door neighbor was visiting and knew what to do.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-04-2013 04:03
We now use helium. Have a few tornadoes. And still tons of fire ants. Our wagons are pulled by various animals.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-04-2013 13:33
I worked in Hattiesburg/Purvis back around "76."

It was interesting for a Yankee to be thrown into the midst of Rebel country. We had a few interesting moments, but by the time I wrapped up my stay, my crew wanted to follow me to the next project. They couldn't believe I was leaving Mississippi to go back to New England. Who in their right mind would want to leave the warm climate of the deep south to go back to wind, snow, and ice? They had a point.

Al
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-04-2013 13:41

>I worked in Hattiesburg/Purvis back around "76."

Dang Al, you're old....Bwhahaha...

:twisted: I just had to slip that in :twisted:
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-04-2013 13:45
It was quite a culture shock for me. I left Memphis and went in the Navy. Spent 3 years in Scotland and then got transferred to Connecticut. I was thinking I was going back home. Boy was I wrong. A considerable difference.

I think we have all been blessed with a beautiful place to live though. It's all what you get used to.

Have a great day.

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-04-2013 21:47
Accursed Fire Ants! My first memory of being in the United States after arriving from Hawaii (yeah Paradise!) of the mainland was in 1959 in Louisiana (England AFB) and getting eaten alive by "F" ing fire ants.  BTW, Hawaii wasn't a state yet!
How come's y'all aint figure out away to send them back to the Amazon from whence they came???
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-04-2013 22:53
Like many immigrants, including our forefathers, they were not happy in their home countries. They came here looking for greener pastures and better opportunities. Now, it is all but impossible to get them to go back whence they came.

Al
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 12-06-2013 17:48
I agree Al.  It’s been said that he who sleeps on the ground cannot fall out of bed and die, so we can’t wait for them to go to sleep and push them out of their beds.  While it’s true that we can’t get them to leave, there is one sure way to get rid of them.  First, mix some chili powder with sugar and put a few piles of it outside their hole.  After they eat it, they will search for some water, most likely at the nearest water tank.  When they climb up the side of the tank to get water, simply be there waiting for them and push them in.  When they finally get out of the water, they will immediately look for a fire to dry themselves.  Since they might recognize you from the water tank and become a little suspicious, you’ll need to be as inconspicuous as you can and follow them to the fire.  When they least expect it, throw a bomb into the fire.  Then, follow the survivors to the ICU and remove their oxygen masks, which will kill them in a matter of seconds.  The thing is, I'm not afraid of them taking over the world because it would take about a million of them just to aim a gun at me, let alone fire it. And while they're all focused on getting the gun set just to aim it at me, I’d slip off to the side, and then I’d suddenly run up and kick the gun out of their hands, rendering them completely helpless.  The thing to remember during the confrontation is to remain calm and never call them “ants”, because they hate that.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-06-2013 23:04
Excellent.

All I have to do is find a water tank.

Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-08-2013 07:20
Use a torch and watch them go "Snap crackle and pop!" I had to sneak that one in.:roll::twisted::lol::wink::cool:
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-08-2013 14:46
Hello Henry;

Judging by your frequent posts, you must be feeling pretty chipper these days. I'm glad to see you are doing well.

Spent the day with Joe Kane here in Philadelphia yesterday. Today I'm off to New Orleans for some ASME business. Just hoping to get off the ground before the foul weather hits.

Life is good. What can I say. The grand kids are doing good in school and hockey. The wee one spent a couple of days in Newport, RI with us while my wife and I took a break from the crazy schedule I keep. My wife, my son, and I did get to go out to dinner with a good friend  his wife while we where in his neck of the woods. It was a fine evening.  It was colder than a witch's you know what in Rhode Island, so it was nice to snuggle up to the wood stove when we got back to Connecticut. 

It is about time to head down to the gate and climb aboard the aircraft. Gotta go.

Catch you later. - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-08-2013 23:34
Same here Henry, 

just got to going through the site when I got back Saturday from over a week on the San Francisco peaks at Flagstaff elk hunting and noticed several posts from you.  Glad to see you at it. 

Cold... you probably get cold temps more than we do Al, but while hunting we were below freezing most days and below zero at night.  Makes for good hunting but makes nights in the tent rather cool.  At least the winds didn't ruin any tents this year.  Managed to keep the ropes tight enough that the 50-60 mph winds didn't get them whipping too bad.

Have a good trip.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-10-2013 03:24
This is a great week to be in New Orleans! Weather is fine, just fine. No snow, no ice. Beautiful.

Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-12-2013 21:55 Edited 12-12-2013 22:00
It's FREEZING here in NW PA!!!:yell::eek::roll::sad:

Not much snow compared to out further west:roll::smile:

I apologize for the hijack but, I'm doing as well as I can Al & Brent... I'm still on 4 lpm's (Liters per minute) of oxygen 24/7 continuous but, I have been on 3 lpm's when sitting as a passenger in a vehicle or if I'm in my power chair which is an improvement from this time last year... Everything is stable as far as the cancer is concerned... I'm supposed to be in my last days of living but you now how that goes... I don't know how to die! Yep, I failed that course miserably many times already and continue to do so every time I take it!:twisted::yell::lol::grin::eek::wink::cool:

No recent Kidney failures, no heart stoppages lately, My lungs are no longer collapsing like they were for the last 2 years... Both of my feet, ankles, legs and thighs are still very swollen because of the lymphedema but, they're not anywhere as huge as they were last year so I'm grateful for that and more!!!:grin::lol::smile::wink::cool:

I'm getting around better nowadays ever since I got my power wheel chair and yet, I still do my walking everyday with my most recent distance of 150 feet continuous before I had to stop so I could catch my breath again as the Oxygen % becomes lower than 88%, and then wait until it climbs back up to about 95% or so to continue walking so I really have to pace myself, or else my blood oxygen drops to a dangerous level to where I become lightheaded and can easily lose consciousness!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::surprised:

The bottom line is that I'm accepting my situation as positively as I can where I welcome the good days and tolerate the bad ones jut as well.:smile::wink::cool:
Will I ever get any better than where I'm @ currently??? Only time will tell but, I'm not expecting any profound changes this year coming up although if it's not profound, but measurable then I'll be grateful for that to happen also!!!:grin::smile::wink::cool:

I keep myself busy these days by training folks a little older than myself how to use a computer and on occasion, I tutor some younger kids basic math skills if they're serious to learn which I find disappointing at times because of the gaming (Playstation/X box/ Wii) phenomena that has them so hooked that they cease to have any enthusiasm for anything else... I also edit the monthly newsletter here, and I have fun doing this a lot because it's totally new for me and you know how I love challenges!!!:eek::surprised::wink::cool: I'm also in the process of designing power chair accessories for every brand out there so that folks like myself can do more than just sit in them and roll around honking our horns at other people and yelling @ them to get out of the way!!!:twisted::eek::roll::smile::wink: So yeah! I'm keeping myself busy so that my brain doesn't freeze up into oblivion these days...:yell::twisted::lol::wink::cool:

So steady as she goes friends... Steady as she goes!!! Thank you both for thinking about me...:smile::wink::cool:
Merry Christmas to everyone here!!!:grin::grin::grin::smile:
Btw, this will be my first Christmas in two years straight, that I'll be able to celebrate at home and, not in the ICU and I'm eternally GRATEFUL FOR THAT AND MORE!!! THANK YOU LORD!!!:smile::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-14-2013 20:54
Henry,
Though I'm not glad about your condition I'm blessed by what I've read. That's all I can say.

Merry Christmas to you.

Gerald
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-14-2013 20:58
You need to check out the YouTube video's of the aluminum castings made by pouring molten aluminum in the anthills. Pretty neat and I'm betting few escape.

Gerald
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Short workshop stick welding wanted