Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld Symbols
- - By d_paul71 (**) Date 12-05-2013 15:02
Take a look at the drawing and give me your thoughts.
Attachment: Jointconfiguration.png (14k)
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 12-05-2013 15:23
Remove the "all around" symbol and add a fillet weld symbol to the top of the reference line, which will then indicate fillet welds on two sides.  The fillet weld sizes would need to be shown as well.  A flare bevel groove symbol would need to be shown above and below the reference line for the other two joints.  The flare bevel groove weld sizes are based on the joints being welded flush.
Parent - By d_paul71 (**) Date 12-05-2013 15:34
Sounds good.  Thank you..
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 12-05-2013 17:09
No, you need at a minimum two separate welding symbols.
One to show a flare bevel groove on each side of the joint, and one to show fillet welds on each side of the joint.
Or... your could use one welding symbol with no weld symbols on the reference line, but includes a note reference in the tail that indicates a note on the dwg that explains how the joint is to be welded.

Tim
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 12-05-2013 18:23
No?? That's what I was indicating in my post.... two separate weld symbols.  Fillet welds for the two sides in the detailed attachment and flare bevel grooves for the "other two joints".
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 12-06-2013 11:24
Hi Scott,
You're right of course.
My response was to the question in the attachment in the OP.

Tim
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-06-2013 01:49
One can have Multiple Reference Lines as well as Multiple "Weld" Symbols that make up the overall welding symbol... In other words, a weld symbol will represent the type of joint to be welded together where the two members meet or a surface to be built up as in overlays & repairs...  Whether it be an edge, fillet, groove, plug, projection, seam, slot, spot, stud, surfacing... All of these are names for "Weld" Symbols... They are not welding symbols because, the latter represents the reference line, arrow, weld symbol, contour & finish symbols, and included with these weld symbols also, may or may not be any of the supplementary symbols, dimensions & numbers, tail if any, field & weld all around symbols, and any other details and/or reference(s) that make up the "Welding" symbol...

One only has to look in, or refer to: AWS A2.4 and look in the table of contents where there should be two or three listings numbered: 3.5 "Combined Weld symbols"
3.6 "Multiple arrow lines" and 3.7 "Multiple reference lines" to read what is allowed and acceptable in creating the appropriate "Welding Symbol" for the parts and/or component/assemblies that require welds to join together or build up. :lol: :smile:cool:::wink:

Oh, and the version I referred to of A2.4 is 98 for "Standard Symbols for Welding, Brazing and Nondestructive Examination" which was the only one I could find close by me... So if there are any changes or significant differences in the newer editions, please post them.:eek::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By d_paul71 (**) Date 12-10-2013 19:08
Nice, thank you....
Parent - - By SVANDEWINCKEL Date 12-05-2013 21:05
There is an example in the AWS A2.4 Standard Symbols code book of a similar weld on page 13 of the 2012 addition. It shows a single sided fillet symbol with an all around attached to it. The picture shows three sides of the weld on the top and one weld from under. It looks like you should be able to use a single sided fillet with an all around symbol to do what you're showing.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-06-2013 02:03 Edited 12-06-2013 02:09
In the drawing, two sides are fillet welds and the other two are flare bevel groove welds to be deposited... If you notice the difference in the fabrication assembly from one elevation or front view clearly showing the 2 sides where the 2 members are perpendicular to each other are fillets, and then compare it to the other view which in this case is the side view which clearly shows the flare bevel grooves on either side where the 2 members meet... In other words, one cannot rely on only one view in the drawing to find all of the necessary information in order to choose the proper weld symbol or symbols that are to be included to create the appropriate welding symbol which would give the fabricator enough information to join the two members together as efficiently as possible and without over or under welding @ certain locations.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By SVANDEWINCKEL Date 12-06-2013 11:50
I agree with Henry, the drawing shows two sides are fillet welds and two side are flared bevel. Please disregard my earlier posting.
Parent - - By d_paul71 (**) Date 12-10-2013 19:10
Excellent.. thanks H.. :)
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 12-11-2013 10:11
I saw an article that references the symbol that you described in the March/April 2000 issue of The American Welder, titled "Blueprint Bloopers: Common Mistakes with Welding Symbols".
Parent - By d_paul71 (**) Date 12-11-2013 10:36
Interesting, I will have to read up on that.  Thank you...
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-11-2013 13:14
Will have to look that up and add to my presentation for section meetings on weld symbols.  Thanks.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld Symbols