Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Printed Code Books?
- - By jeffstan Date 12-06-2013 16:47
Hi all,

Newbie here and I have a quick question. I was told that only original copies of code books are allowed in the shop; that printed PDF copies in three ring binders will get you in trouble (my company has all the code books in PDF on our server). Is this true? Does it apply to all codes (D1.1, CWB, ANSI, etc)?

Thanks,
Jeff
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 12-06-2013 17:23
If you're printing pdf's from the originals, D1.1 doesn't allow reproductions, doesn't allow the content to be stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any way, including mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without prior written permission of the copyright owner.  This also probably includes this response.

I know AISC wouldn't allow me to purchase an electronic 14th ed. Steel Construction Manual and post it on our corporate server for everyone at work to be able to access it.  Instead, I had to buy eight manuals for all to share.
Parent - - By jeffstan Date 12-06-2013 17:53
No, we are a corporate member and have access to the original pdf's from AWS. But I was told I can print a copy to take home with me for study (when I was going for my CWI), but it couldn't come in the shop.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-12-2013 22:11
So keep the copy home and purchase an official softcover version of the code for the field since you already have a .pdf  version @ work and then you'll CYA!:yell::eek::twisted::grin::smile::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-06-2013 23:26
Only if you get caught!

Al
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 12-13-2013 01:26
I seem to remember you are allowed to print 1 hard copy of aws digital publications for backup purposes, but I could be full of it
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 12-13-2013 22:40
I bought the pdf D1.1 and was allowed to print one personal copy. On the page was written my name and copyright info I think. Didn't help much as a short time later my laptop was stolen with the pdf. Guess someone needed it more than I did.

Have a good one;
Matt
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 12-13-2013 18:01
Al you crack me up.LMBO

M.G.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 12-13-2013 18:04
I downloaded something from AWS and was allowed to copy it once but no more than that it want get you.

M.G.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-13-2013 18:27
Not to hijack the thread, but ASME sells their codes in the electronic and hard print format. They will not accept the electronic format or a printed copy during a code audit if the contractor is seeking a code stamp. Yet, if memory serves me, you are allowed to print a single copy from the electronic file.

Personally, I have no problem with a contractor that elects to purchase an AWS standard in the electronic format and then prints a file copy for use in their office or on the shop floor. The only time it makes a difference to me is if someone shows up for the CWI examination with a photocopied reproduction of the structural welding code. That is not permitted by AWS. Other than that, what adults do behind closed doors is their business, not mine. I am not employed by the Copyright Police force and I am under no contractual obligation to inform AWS of the activities of a contractor.

If I were to audit a contractor seeking certification as a Certified Fabricator program, then I would be under contract by AWS and I would obligated to raise red flag if I were to discover a photocopied copy of the structural code lying about. In other words, it the copy wasn't in plain view, how would I know that there was one or more photocopied versions of the code being used? The question boils down to one of morality and ethics.

Considering the cost of the AWS and ASME codes, I can hardly fault an inspector that elected to take a photocopy of the code into the field where there is a high probability it will be damaged. I am currently on my third purchased copy of AWS D1.1:2010. I do not have any photocopies, but I would not throw stones at anyone that used a photocopied copy in the field. That is a different situation than running off twenty copies of the code and distributing them to everyone that wants one.

Just my opinion  the subject.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Printed Code Books?