Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / CWI Job openings.
- - By ironmanjohn25 Date 12-07-2013 01:20
Certified Welder/ recently reached Inspector status. I am finding that it is very hard to find an entry level job as an inspector. I also earn a very good living currently, i imagine i will have to take a huge paycut i would imagine. I realize this but i would still like to get my foot started as inspector so that when i get older i can have an established career. I want to get involved in natural gas pipeline or oil industry. Something that will earn some money. I currently travel 80-90 percent so traveling is not a problem. I have already paid for all my certifications on my own so i am hoping that an employer would pay for ASNT TC 1 A so that i can get some help and experience. Ultimately i would hope that i could get UT certified because i imagine this is a good amount of money. If anyone could help steer me in the right direction it would be of great help. I have been all over the web applying but all i see is 5-10 years experience wanted. I need to start somewhere.

Thanks,
John
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 12-07-2013 16:46
Try Acuren.
Parent - By Len Andersen (***) Date 12-18-2013 19:02
ironmanjohn25, Ladies and Gentlemen,
     Am looking for work myself as an Engineer CWI . Got into CWI work twenty years ago. Attended AWS meeting and got a lead there. Get the job, prove yourself and go from there. Do not tell to one you interviewing with what to give you beyond a job. It does not work.  Money is “different” but not necessarily bad with steadier work! Your views appreciated! Job more appreciated. I hoped this is helpful.
Sincerely
Len Andersen   weld@speamil.org
914-536-7101 / 914-237-7689 (H) / 800-428-4801 USA
POB 1529 / NYC 10116-1529 ( $1160 per year Caller
Box GPO NYC / Most Secure Service At Largest Post
Office USA )

www.lenandersen.com
Parent - By Mzwelderette Date 02-08-2014 14:30
Ironmanjohn25,
Are you still looking? Do you have a resume?
Parent - - By Len Andersen (***) Date 02-08-2014 20:05 Edited 11-21-2015 17:10
Yes !

Resume for Len Andersen Welding Inspector AWS CWI
Welding Engineer – Construction Manager – len@lenandersen.com
914-536-7101    / 914-237-7689   /   800-428-4801
POB 1529 / NYC 10116 ( $~1400 per year Caller Box GPO NYC / Most Secure Service At Largest Post
Office USA )
www.lenandersen.com

Career Objective – Work as an inspector engineer or --- reflecting 20 years of experience , ten patents , Construction Project Manager position for plus 5 years , welding engineering for bridge structural steel applications and marine construction diving management experience

Professional Experience

Last twenty years I have been a Graduate Engineer Certified Welding Inspector.
August 2014 to Present Working in New York ,  Connecticut , Ohio as welding inspector engineer.  Name of Concern on Request.
Journalist - World Petroleum Congress Moscow June 2014  TV time and in Print
Welding Inspector CWI / Construction Project Manager Employed October 2000 to May 2014 New York City Department of Transportation - Division of Bridges. Worked on a geotechnical situation ( foundation ) for the Willis Avenue Bridge ( Largest Contract of the City of New York at 612 million with + 50 million cost over run ). Such reflected a background as a dockbuilder member of Dockbuilders LU 1556 / 1456 since 1987 and attending +90% of civil engineering geotechnical ASCE meetings New York area last seven years. Review of drawing of bridges, field inspection of bridges, doing inspection at the facilities that produce heavy welded and bolted steel assemblies for bridges. The projects which are participated in are in the range from 100 million USD to 700 million USD. I was the only American Welding Society AWS Certified Welding Inspector CWI that the City of New York employed. Worked as direct for 14 years and as a third party person for six years. I was involved in all aspects of welding with a focus on structural. Posted about 200 times to American Welding Society forum and same number on SPE Connect . As an active ASCE Metro section New York City area www.ascesection.org member I attended over seventy evening presentations and about six full day , half day presentations a year since 2006. I am an active member New York and New England Petroleum ( Society of Petroleum Engineers ) http://nyne.spe.org . Active in the New York Metropolitan section AIChE (  www.aiche-metrony.org ) attending most meeting last +8 years.

Concurrent on going work outside full time employment! I participated in professional society events including AWS's -Underwater Welding and Cutting- November 12 2012 "Interactive Wet Welding" presentation to the AWS annual meeting. In the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia March 2011 I gave a welding inspection daylong workshop and presented a paper at an engineering event! At the ASCE sponsored www.orthotropic-bridge.org event I gave a class in welding inspection for bridges! 2008 International Orthotropic Bridge Conference One-Day Workshop, "Welding Inspection of Orthotropic Decks Workshop". As an experienced American Welding Society AWS Certified Welding Inspector CWI I have inputted into the AWS forum online with about 200 separate postings and attended meetings. Last plus twelve years I have spoken Chinese every day at work. Worked in Spanish language in Mexico, Spain etc., and Arabic in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for near a year, Norwegian in Norway etc for about six months and worked in the Russian language. In journalism I covered the World Petroleum Congress www.world-petroleum.org events 2002 Rio de Janeiro Brazil , 2005 Johannesburg South Africa , 2008 Madrid Spain , 2011 Doha Qatar and plan to do Moscow Russia 2014 as an accredited journalist. Fellow journalist mentioned at the last one, "You know everyone". Inventing one patent issued in Lubricating / Motor Oil and two pending in Gas Turbine Technology which I wrote. Pursuant to such I attended STLE ( www.stle.org ) events and International Gas Turbine Institute (IGTI) ASME events. As a member of the Society of Petroleum Engineers I have attended meetings and inputted to online communities more than 200 times.
1995 – 2000 Process engineering / construction manager in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia ( Oil Slug to Environmentally acceptable solids, water and crude oil ) , Mexico Surface facilities Process Engineering. Engineer doing consulting / Welding Engineering Inspection for American Bureau of Shipping and New York City

1995 Econergy Associates Chemical Engineering

Education
  BSChE Chemical Engineering Degree, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona
  Associates of Applied Science of Chemical Technology, Westchester Community College, Valhalla , NY
  Registered Representative www.sec.gov ( Stock Broker  ) Securities Training Corporation New York , New York
  Diploma in Marine Diving, College of Oceaneering , Wilmington CA
  US Army Engineering School, Fort Belvoir, VA Society of Petroleum Engineers, Short Courses
  American Welding Society, Course leading to CWI (Certified Welding Inspector)

Published Works – Welding Journal - one and Society of Petroleum Engineers 30994 &
Patents
METHOD AND APPARATUS FOR INCREASING THRUST OR OTHER USEFUL ENERGY OUTPUT OF A DEVICE WITH A ROTATING ELEMENT  8,671,696
Gas Turbine Thrust Fuel Efficiency Enhancement System Water (Volatile) Introduction Arrangement Method and Means 20120272635
Lubricating/sealing oil-based composition and method of manufacture thereof - 6,358,891
Additionally Five patents in welding , two in petroleum extraction

Non-Professional Experience

Carpenter heavy construction +10 years prior to 2000 and continued in the Union for input on engineering work from union members as a dockbuilder member of Dockbuilders LU 1556 / 1456 since 1987, conductor Subway New York City Transit Authority - life long interest in
railroading, Merchant Seaman Norwegian and Danish Flag New York City Licensed Taxi Driver prior to 2000.
Skills - Manager , Innovation, dealing with people

Active Memberships in Engineering and Technical Societies
  Metro New York Section, American Institute of Chemical Engineers attends meetings member
aiche-metrony.org

  The Metropolitan Section of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) in New York City attends meetings as a member metsection@asme.org / www.asmemetsection.org

  New York and New England Petroleum ( Society of Petroleum Engineers ) http://nyne.spe.org

  ASCE Metropolitan Section the local section of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) in the
New York City metro area attending two or more meetings monthly member and out of town events
president@ascemetsection.org
www.ascemetsection.org

  American Welding Society ( www.aws.org ) local leader at rfwaite@rfwaite.com www.rfwaite.com

  Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers www.stle.org

Other/Interests

International travel for employment to Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belgium, Brazil,
Bulgaria, Canada, China, Columbia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Japan, Jordan, Mexico, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Qatar, Russia, Spain, Trinidad, United Kingdom, Ukraine, Venezuela, Vietnam. Interest in Metallurgy / Welding , Computers , Aviation , Tribology / Lubrication, Ships / Marine Technology

Marital Status – Single

Computer / Internet – Every day at work for fourteen years for about four hours
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-09-2014 14:21
Hi Len,
yes, you can upload/attach a small power point to your posting.
Attachment: JWtestingpowerpoint.pptx (43k)
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / CWI Job openings.