Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / about "As Detail" and As"Built up" how to explain?
- - By chou Date 12-08-2013 14:17
Hi everybody

about "As Detail" and As"Built up" how to explain?

For example B-P3-GF PJP Groove Weld,R=0,f=3min.α=60°,but i don't know to how to use "As Detail" and "As Built-up" tolerances?

Relationship of "As Detail" and "As Built-up" tolerances both i don't know until now?

can anyone to reply?

thank's
best regard
chou
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 12-09-2013 13:14
chou,

The "as detailed" and "as fit-up" prequalified joint details refer the user to 3.13.1.  3.13.1 basically explains that the joint dimensions on the design drawings and detail (shop) drawings can vary within the “as detailed” tolerances shown on the prequalified joint details and still remain prequalified.
Due to variances encountered during fit up, the tolerances for joint dimensions “as built up” (as fit-up) can be used if needed, and added to, or subtracted from the dimensions shown on the detail (shop) drawing and still remain prequalified.
Anything beyond the "as fit up" tolerance parameters would require either a joint requalification or require additional work to bring the existing joint back to within prequalified tolerances.
Parent - - By chou Date 12-10-2013 01:15
thank you for your replying.
can you write the example to explain clearly for me about "as detail" and "as built up "?
thank you and best regarding.
chou
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 12-10-2013 15:01
I'll try.  You referenced B-P3-GF in millimeters. When compared to the columns showing:

Root Opening                                                                      
Root Face                             As Detailed                                                                   As (built up) Fit Up
Groove Angle

R = 0           + 2, - 0 (can be detailed + 2 to 0 from design drwg.)                 + 3, - 2 (can be fit +3 or -2 from detail drwg.)
f = 3 min.     + U, - 0 (can be detailed 0 to unlimited from design drwg.)          +/- 2 (can be fit + 2 or - 2 from detail drwg.)        
a = 60°        + 10°- 0°(can be detailed + 10° or - 0° from design drwg.)         + 10°- 5° (can be fit +10° or - 5° from detail drwg.
Parent - - By chou Date 12-17-2013 00:51
above instance as detailed R range 0~2.   as fit-up R range 0~3.
f=15 mm as detailed  as fit-up f range 15~13 mm.
as detailed angle range 60°~70°,as fit-up range 70°~55°.
i don't know that it is right.
can you explain them for me?
thanks
best regards
chou
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 12-17-2013 13:52
I'm sorry but I'm still trying to understand exactly what you're looking for.  I tried to explain the "as detailed" and the "built up" tolerances the best I can.

The dimensions shown below on the far left are based on the "for example" dimensions that you posted initially.  I took those "for example" dimensions and applied them to the actual prequalified "as detailed" tolerance ranges and the actual prequalified "as fit up" tolerance ranges using your "for example" prequalified PJP joint designation, B-P3-GF that you posted initially.  What I show in parenthesis is the acceptable prequalified +/- tolerance ranges for "as detailed" situations and the prequalified +/- tolerance ranges for"as fit up" situations.

Basically, the "as detailed" tolerance range below can vary between what's actually shown on the design drawings to what's actually shown on the detail (shop) drawings by the tolerances I show in parenthesis, and the "as (built up) fit up" tolerance range below can vary between what's actually shown on the detail (shop) drawings to the dimensions of what's actually been fit up, by the tolerances I show in parenthesis.  

Root Opening                                                                    
Root Face                         As Detailed                                                              As (built up) Fit Up
Groove Angle

R = 0       + 2, - 0 (can be detailed + 2 to 0 from design drwg.)           + 3, - 2 (can be fit +3 or -2 from detail drwg.)
f = 3 min. + U, - 0 (can be detailed 0 to unlimited from design drwg.)    +/- 2 (can be fit + 2 or - 2 from detail drwg.)      
a = 60°    + 10°- 0°(can be detailed + 10° or - 0° from design drwg.)   + 10°- 5° (can be fit +10° or - 5° from detail drwg.)
Parent - By AlexAnd1104 Date 06-17-2015 18:08
This explanation was very helpful, SCOTTN.

I'm wondering why it's not on the actual chart itself in Appendix III. It would at least be helpful to have a note below that chart with an explanation or at least another reference.

Thanks again!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / about "As Detail" and As"Built up" how to explain?