Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / VT inspection
- - By supermoto (***) Date 01-22-2014 00:17
What would a person typically be doing if they are performing VT on ASME piping?  I don't have any specifics on what ASME sections, and I am assuming that all VT should be pretty similar no matter what ASME section it is. 

Do most VT on ASME Piping require fit up verification, root pass, fill pass, final weld inspection, preheat, and what else might be required?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-22-2014 16:49
VT is all inclusive, including material verification, preparation, fit-up, root bead, interpass, final, etc.

Each code section will specify the extent and the acceptance criteria.

Al
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 01-22-2014 17:04
Ok thanks for your input
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-22-2014 19:45
They are not similar for ASME III and XI.
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 01-30-2014 13:10
What is typical Fit Up inspection for most ASME piping?  I am assuming root opening, bevel angle, root face if any, material type, misalignment.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-30-2014 21:05
Keep in mind there is no Code specified VT for ASME Boiler Code except ASME Section III Subsection NF.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-31-2014 01:06
js55; "there is no Code specified VT for ASME Boiler Code except ASME Section III Subsection NF. "

That is incorrect, please refer to the following;

ASME Section I
ASME B31.3
ASME III
ASME XI

Going to ASME III and XI, there are no piping welds in NB, NC, and ND, that do not require visual inspection/examination. Some people get lost in the weeds on this arguing verbiage, but visual inspection/examination which ever word you may choose to use, is required for class 1, 2, and 3 pressure retaining welds. Visual weld/examination is the 'minimum' inspection/examination for every pressure retaining weld of those classes. When it comes to those classes in  BPVC, don't get hung up on the words examination vs inspection.

There are other codes, two of which I listed above that also require it.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-31-2014 20:30
Gerald,
Do you have the paragraphs that require, and the paragraphs for acceptance criteria?
Not the AI stuff.
Also, B31.3 is not boiler code. And I am admittedly totally ignorant of Section XI.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 02-01-2014 13:39
I have absolutely no knowledge of ASME codes, but I did a Google search and found this link that may be of interest.  It's a 19 page powerpoint titled ASME B31.3 Process Piping Course 13. Inspection, Examination and Testing: 

http://www.psig.sg/Don/B31.3%20Process%20Piping%20Course%20-%2013%20Inspection,%20Examination%20and%20Testing.pdf
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 02-01-2014 15:48
That is one fine presentation.
Thanks for that excellent link.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-02-2014 03:38 Edited 02-02-2014 03:40
"Gerald,
Do you have the paragraphs that require, and the paragraphs for acceptance criteria?
Not the AI stuff.
Also, B31.3 is not boiler code. And I am admittedly totally ignorant of Section XI."

For ASME III, it's an ANI, not AI. The duties of an ANI do not include visual inspection of a weld. Visual inspection typically falls under the perview of Quality Control.
As for paragraphs, what year code applies has to be established before that. That is found in 10CFR50.55A codes and standards.
Then there is the ASME stamp QA programmatic requirements, as accepted by the ASME survey for the specific application. NPT, etc.

Aside from that just using 2013 Section III as a reference (Which btw is yet to be accepted by the NRC). In fact, lets ignore the visual examination requirements documented in NX 2000 which vary.

Lets look at NX 4000, specifically starting at NB 4424 "Surfaces of Welds". I know of some orginizations that have found themselves on the wrong side of the code, NRC, and ANI's because they didn't understand this particular section, even more so when you get to NB 4424.2 preservice examination requirements. That latter part in particular invokes some requirements out of Section XI.

One particular organization found itself with multiple models locked down in their yard after the NRC shut them down for these kind of concerns and others. It was absolutely clear that the people who wrote their program were not the same as the ones attempting to implement the same.

All welds must be examined visually for piping under NB, NC, ND. with NB and NC often invoking preservice requirements as well. The only real difference is in who performs the exams. As a general rule of thumb, 'All' safety related items (nuclear safety), require visual inspection/examination by certified personnel, along with the other examinations as required out of NX 5000. An organization that does not understand that is set up for failure and taking a hit from both the regulators, and running the high risk of ASME pulling their stamp.

Now lets move out of the nuclear realm, and into ASME process piping B31.3 2012.
Specific paragraphs,
341.4.1 Examination - normal fluid service
(a) Visual examination. At least the following shall be examined in accordance with para. 344.2:
paraphrased;
At least 5% of fab, 100% for longitudinal welds, random examinations

341.4.3 Examination - severe Cyclic Conditions.
It becomes 100 percent of all fabrication.

For reference 344.2 Visual examination
344.2.1 Definition includes welds. 344.2.2 specifies BPV code Section V Article 9

B31.1 2012
"Visual examination shall be performed to verify that all completed welds in pipe and piping components comply with the acceptance standards specified in (A) below"

I believe that should be sufficient to make the point.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-03-2014 17:01
Quick hit an run for now but I
I'll be back to review more thoroughly. As I said my point was boiler code. So the B31 pressure piping codes are irrelevant.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-03-2014 18:20
Gerald,
To continue.
It must be kept in mind the context of my point. Again, I did NOT include pressure piping. Nor did I include API or the AWWA.
1) The NRC is irrelevant to the requirements of ASME. I did not make a point about the NRC.
2) 10CFR50.55A is irrelevant to the requirements of ASME. I did not make appoint about the Code of Fed Regs.
3) The requirement for safety related is also irrelevant to the requirements of ASME.
4) The ASME survey team will assess based upon code requirements. If there are none then they have no authority to impose. We usually kiss butt to pick our battles but if pushed I'd appeal. And even in NCA-4134.10, which speaks of "inspection", there is no explicit requirement for VT. In fact, ASME predominantly avoids the term "inspection" altogether except in reference to the AI/ANI, and reserves the term 'examination' for its usage. This of course runs counter to NQA-1 which explicitly uses the term inspection in a manner similar to ASME's use of examination. But I am not talking about NQA-1 either.
5) And while I will grant there are visual inspection requirements in NB-4424 those requirements are in relation to obtaining an acceptable NDE other than VT and are not stand alone. Quote: "The surface condition of the finished weld shall be suitable for the proper interpretation of radiographic and other required nondestructive examinations". The acceptance criteria is scant at best (no fusion, no slag, no cold lap, no porosity, no cracks, no craters, and the only criteria for ID is concavity) and related to the very quote provided. Compare this to the extensive VT requirements and acceptance criteria in Subsection NF.
6) As for NB,C,D-5000 when you look you will find RT, UT, PT, MT and eddy current. Something is conspicuously missing.

Now, having said all this I am not arguing that it is not a good idea, or even required by other governing bodies. In fact we do it, and it is. It is a very robust part of our program. But I think my argument stands.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-03-2014 21:29
Any QA program that doesn't take into account the federal regs is begging for trouble. As such, it does directly affect the ASME survey.
The edition of ASME III, and XI that is applied comes straight out of 50.55A. It is far from irrelevant.

Quoting NB 5000 is again taking it out of context. You have to view NX 2000 and NX 4000 to find the visual requirements as I mentioned.

The OP directly asked about ASME piping with no other qualifiers.

With all due respect, I have to question any program that claims visual is not required. Especially for those items required to be addressed by PSI.
I have extensive experience in the industry, QA, QC, Welding, and NDE nuclear. I have never seen it where visual was not required for safety related items.

It is apparent we will not agree on this given your most recent post. I will leave it at that and comment no more.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-04-2014 13:40
Gerald,
I don't mean to be sharp on this but you aren't even listening.
You ignore the fact that I made it clear we do perform VT robustly, so your nod to 'all do respect' has no context.
And my point was ASME, as was the point of the OP.
And you have yet to provide a single paragraph to clearly substantiate your point.
You claim its there as some ambiguous collective to be assumed, and that everybody should do it.
The challenge stands. Show me one paragraph wherein VT is a requirement (especially for welds) on its own and complete with acceptance criteria as is the case with Subsection NF.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-05-2014 16:09
I did specify the paragraph and how it feeds back to others. However, you have stated your not familar with Section XI. You have stated federal regulations (10CFR50.55a) do not apply. You fail to see the preservice tie back. In short, you fail to see.

Yes you did mean to be sharp as it most certainly read that way. It is also readily apparent no advice other than what you currently believe will be accepted.
One more piece of advice before I go. There is no such thing as 'one paragraph' that defines any given aspect of ASME code. They 'all' have loop backs always, sometimes, maybe, everytime. It is a fools errand to hang your hat on any 'one paragraph', and in fact "it is an ambiguous collective", especially when it comes to nuclear code. Without taking it as a whole, it is a given that a person will not be able to see the forest for the trees.

That will be the last I say on it.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-05-2014 18:21
Gerald,
I wasn't asking for advice. I was making a point.
You challenged my point and it proved to be very weak at best.
And you tried to disguise the weakness by insisting on points about CFR, pressure piping, and what a program should include, when I made it clear that was not my context.
Your best point was NX-4424, as I quoted in part. That was valid. And I stood corrected.
I also granted you programmatical points. Clearly.
Outside of that however, there is nothing. And you have demonstrated that. Nothing from Section I, nothing from Section VIII, and nothing from Section III other than 4424, ripples, valleys, and undercut.  Very weak indeed.
Why is VT so conspicuously absent from NX-5000?
An absence you have not resolved, loop backs and/or phases of the moon notwithstanding.
Also, I never said Fed Regs don't apply, just that they essentially don't apply in a discussion of ASME requirements, no more than say 49CFR Part 192 is applicable to anything pertaining to API 1104 or ASME B31.8.
In other words. You have clearly developed a very effective forest. And I am sure your program is robust. But in order to do so you are having to uproot trees from another forest to fill in the blanks, while trying to convince us those trees were there all along.
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 02-06-2014 04:50
Verry good discussions.

803056, please share your thoughts, what is your take on this argument of js55 & CWI555?

Thanks!
~Joey~
Parent - - By dmilesdot (**) Date 02-06-2014 12:23
Just to muddy the waters abit, what is the requirement for visual inspectors for ASME?
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-06-2014 14:45
ASME could not care less about the CWI certification. When ASME references NDE certification it always gets around to SNT.
Though this is in the process of being changed.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-06-2014 13:06
Let me add something I think is critical at this juncture. I am in complete agreement with Gerald on the idea that VT is absolutely necessary to an effective program. If you do not practice this method you will eventually encounter severe issues. While I am making these arguments my inspectors (and the welders as well) are looking at EVERY SINGLE WELD being produced by my company. You cannot rely upon Code minimums to determine or dictate your program. Code minimums are only the skeleton. You still have to flesh it out. If it has been assumed my intent was to argue that since it is not required then it is not necessary, this is mistaken.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-06-2014 15:14
It might be beneficial to our understanding to compare the Boiler Code approach to a pressure piping approach.
Take a look at the language and requirements of ASME Section III NB-4424 and then the language and requirements of ASME B31.1 127.4.2 (C).
Sound familiar?
And yet, in B31.1 we still have paragraph 136.4.2, in which, as stated, a notable similar paragraph is absent from Section III.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 02-07-2014 13:24
This is one conversation I am staying out of. Unless you tie the response to one specific section of ASME, there is no correct response. As one can see, each code section has it own requirements. What is required by each code section should be regarded as the minimum requirements. However, the contractor/manufacturer must do what is prudent to ensure the product they manufacture or sell is safe, reliable, and meets the customer's expectation if they want to survive in the long term.

Good luck - Al
- - By Flip Date 03-21-2014 02:59
Can anyone give me a code reference to weld dimensions for butt welds? Specifically the maximum allowable width of a weld made with SMAW electrodes on pipe.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 03-21-2014 04:27
Flip,
I don't think that you will find that in an ASME code. In ASME B31.3 for example, you can find weld size requirements for socket and branch connections but not width requirements. You can find in Table 341.3.2 the reinforcement (Height) acceptance criteria. Typically, you are allowed 1/16" past the edge on the cover.

What will dictate the width of the weld is the joint configuration (groove angle, wall thickness and root opening)
A pipe with a 1 1/2" thick wall and a 37 1/2º bevel (75º included) will be rather wide, a few inches at least.
I've welded 2" thk pipe wall and the final cap was only two passes with GTAW. Approx. 1" wide cover pass…from memory. The difference was the joint config was a J-prep root and 3-5º bevels. Narrow Groove. We have welded much thicker that 2" with this method and the caps are very narrow because the walls draw inward and you basically have straight walls with no bevel angle.

The info that you are looking for will be found in the WPS. That is where the mentioned variable will be addresses. It will also specify if single or multiple passes are allowed and oscillation (weaving) may be defined or N/A'd.

Many applications require monitoring the heat input (Joules) and weaving may be prohibited to keep the KJoules under the specified value. Only stringer beads are allowed.
Parent - - By Flip Date 03-21-2014 06:23
BY
Thanks for the response. That is the same answer I have come up with in the past. I have never found it written in the code anywhere but there are several myths about 4 times the rod diameter etc...It can also be a customer requirement.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-21-2014 12:09
3X, 4X the rod diameter is a industry practice. It is not widespread though it is not rare. It has little foundation, none that I know of, in mechanical or metallurgical theory. In fact, it has the potential for improving properties as wider weaves tend to be thinner allowing subsequent beads to temper to a greater depth. I have a paper on Grade 91 that demonstrates improved CVN's with wider weave widths.
I am not sure where it came from but it seems it is more of a welder skill issue, IMO. The idea is the cooling of the puddle and the slag that become an issue with wider and wider weaves. I've seen many many very wide weaves that were beautiful and in testing as mechanically sound as any welds I've tested.
- - By cfpfurtado Date 04-30-2014 02:51
I am praticing a WPS non conformance with root cut of bevel space. It is non linear and higher. The welders install the jigs and fixtures and, just after, they cut at field. The metal deposit is superior, but UT, RT are ok. We know that HAZ is superior and the heat induced is excessive. The base metal is ASTM A 131 ABS grade AH36. The question is: what problem can occur? Stress concentration can be measured by producing tests? Peening effects, hardness, bending test, impact what is applicable under AWS D 1.1?
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 05-23-2014 00:21
Well I guess I have been busy and didn't keep up with checking on my original post.  Looks like some great conversation and I will start looking up everyones references and continue to educate myself with ASME.

Thanks for everyones input.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / VT inspection