Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / C-spec Software
- - By swsweld (****) Date 03-12-2014 04:08
Does anyone have any experience with C-spec software for WPS, WPQ, Weld Office or any of their programs? I have a friend that's starting a business and wanted me to work with him to get a few things going in the QA/QC department. I know it's pricey but is it easy to set up and use? I've browse the web site and am familiar with the claims and capabilities but wanted some reviews from colleagues on the forum.
The targeted industries will be nuclear, power boilers, oil and gas…so having a great quality system will be a huge plus when dealing with the big league.

Any input on C-spec or other high caliber programs are appreciated.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-12-2014 06:48
I have some experience with C-Spec, they are quite good but as you say very pricey and not the easiest to learn to use.It also has it's problems like any other software.On the plus side, it is easily acceptable by your controlling bodies, i.e NRC,DOE etc. You might want to ask your friend to have a look at TWI software, still not cheap but cheaper, and I find it easier to use:

http://www.twisoftware.com/products/home.jsp

'welding coordinator' is a pretty good suite of software for a reasonable price and was used and adopted by CB&I when over in the UK, I believe they use it extensively now on their projects. TWI also have or offer a slightly better support system than CSPEC in the fact you can speak to a human pretty easy.

Pipewelder_1999 used to generate custom made weld software programs that were pretty good as well.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 03-12-2014 11:56
swsweld,

Lincoln Arcworks is free.  I've used the D1.1 version for several years now.  It's a great tool:

http://arcworks.lincolnsupport.com/files/D11v25a1.exe

Gerald had posted three versions on the site a couple years ago at this link:

https://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/forum_search.pl?words=arcworks&user=&board=0&field=body&min=&max=&order=desc

scroll down to pipewelder_1999.  There's one for D1.1, one for D1.5, and one for ASME.  I'm unsure if the links are still active.
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 03-13-2014 03:59
Thanks Scott,
I used Arcworks many years ago and it was fine for what I needed it for then but it was on my laptop and someone stole it:sad:
My next computer was a Mac and I could never get it to load or work. I think the software has no customer support but still works.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 03-13-2014 03:47
Thanks for the reply. I watched a couple of the demo's for TWI. Looks really good and not too complicated…at least the bloke making the demo had the hang of it. haha

I didn't see mention of API 1104. I wonder if it's included in the software package?
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-13-2014 05:32
I think they (TWI) can adjust the software for whatever standard, although I'm sure they will charge for it.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 03-12-2014 14:13
I use it and both like it and don't.
It's pricey and not to easy to figure out.
However, once you do figure it out, and get all of your procedures loaded, it's a good tool.
The code checking function helps avoid mistakes, but as in my case, I'm not building procedures to D1.1 / ASME / EU, the code checking feature just becomes a pain in the butt.
I've also used Weld Pro-Write by Computer Engineering Corp. That's also a good tool, but years ago when I used it, it had a lot of bugs in the system, which may no longer be the case.
I like the simplistic versions that Gerald made.
I've not used Lincol'n Arc Works.

Tim
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 03-13-2014 04:12
Thanks Tim,
We'll be starting from scratch being a brand new company so the WPS's, WPQ's and PQR's will be minimal at first. Hopefully that will allow time to figure it out if we go with C-spec.
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 03-13-2014 11:30
swsweld,

You're right.  It doesn't download on some computers, though I'm not sure why.  I'd forgot about that.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-13-2014 12:08
Quite frankly I've never understood the appeal of these programs. I managed, by myself, a fabrication shop of over 200 welders, day shift/night shift, all procedures, all personnel, qualifications, all continuity, welding on all alloys in all positions, thicknesses and with the five major fusion processes, for boiler code, pressure piping, and nuclear, with so little trouble I never felt the need to use one of these programs. Standardization and homogenization is the key.
I think sometimes we become enamored of fancy azz computer programs when the old ways work just as well or better. Now if you wish to call Excel a fancy azz computer program I'll grant that point. :)
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 03-13-2014 15:28
For me, there are too many issues with Excel.  I prefer Lotus 3-2-1.... the spreadsheet for dyslexics.  It's a good thing Excel doesn't make cars because they would crash at least two or three times a day for no apparent reason. The driver would often be hurt but the car would have no permanent damage. The driver would have to accept that's just how it is, restart the car, and begin the trip all over again.  Sometimes the car would fail to restart after a crash, and the engine would have to be reinstalled.  This would have to be accepted as well.  The car owner would be forced to buy a new model every 18 months, and the old model would have no resale value.  Each new model would be bigger than the previous one, require more gas, and would operate differently.  Furthermore, parts on the old car would not be interchangeable with parts on the new car.  You could call a special phone number and talk to product support if you have a problem, but the support would be staffed by people who know less about the car than you do.  You could opt for a special Macintosh model that's powered by the sun, but it would only run on 5% of the roads you use and require different driving skills.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-13-2014 15:30
Quite frankly, I have never understood the lack of appeal of these programs, I managed, by myself, 1000's of welders over a nation, including shut downs, turn around's and new builds. Night shifts, day shifts and continental shifts. All procedures and continuity, welding on alloys in all positions, thickness's and with 9 major fusion processes for boiler code, pressure piping and nuclear, EN,ASME,API and AWS, and with so much trouble that I don't know how you cope without one of these programs! Standardization and homogenization is the key.
I think sometimes we ignore the fact how computer programs can make our lives easier when the old ways just take up time and effort and don't work as well.

js55, it is 2014 you really need to drag yourself out of the 80's and modernise! :)
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-13-2014 18:52
Good stuff. You made me laugh. Thanks. I always appreciate good sarcasm. Its an art.
In any case, perhaps I'll drag myself out of the 80's when something of a more recent vintage proves its worth. Seems that robotics, pulsing, the early short circuit machines, etc. made similar technological promises only to prove of limited value. The fancy short circuit machines and non synergic pulsers are but dinosaurs now gathering dust in some corner of the shop, a testament to slick salesmanship and a gullible procurement manager.
Somehow I suspect true standardization and homogenization, ideas of much more hoary vintage, have stood the test of time, whereas these programs have not.
If necessity is the mother of invention, or procurement, I have just not seen the necessity as yet. Its just too easy otherwise.
I will grant this however, for those not well versed in Code requirements the fail safe elements of these programs could be valuable. However, with a working knowledge of the code they seem but a crutch. I may walk with a limp but I have long since tossed aside my crutches. And since you don't know how I cope without these programs I will just have to conclude some will always need their crutches.  :)
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-13-2014 20:19
Thank you sir!, it is far better to make a man laugh than angry! If I could make one person laugh every day for the rest of my life, I would die a happy man.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-13-2014 19:42
I have used cspec software and demo versions of welding pro write and another I cannot recall. The C-spec software includes some great customer support. Like many software the ability for it to work is directly related to spending some time.

There are some  tutorials and videos athttp://cspec.com/tutorials.html that may give you some ideas.

I was a customer support representative for a while and think their product is a great value. I have not looked at recent updates but I am sure they are still providing a quality product.

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-13-2014 20:20
Gerald, have you ever worked with any of the TWI software?
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-13-2014 21:25
I used the demo a few years back. TWI and CSpec started out very similar. I'm not sure what the differences are now.

I don't keep up with it as much as I used to.

Gerald
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-13-2014 21:29
You should do, I remember your demo software as being very good, easily as good as some major names. Access is a very, very capable tool in the right hands! You were pretty good at designing some decent programs !
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-13-2014 21:44
Thanks. I have been itching to get back into it. Teaching and my day job have been keeping me busy. Don't spend as much time on the forum so usually see a post and everything has between answered. Gonna read through this one on my pc later and see more of the discussion.

Thanks for the complement too.

Gerald
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-13-2014 23:03
I don't give them out easily! Your stuff was good, You could make a good living out of your talent!
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-14-2014 13:55
There are some users with over 5k elders managed using CSpecs Weld Office
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 03-17-2014 00:58
Thanks for the replies everybody.
The decision will ultimately be from the owner of the start up company. My Excel/Access skills aren't at the advanced level so I see him going with a software program. Besides, I might or might not be his QC guy when he is ready for a full time Manager but I'm helping him with the ground work. I'm working a rotation 3-on/3-off so it will work well for my off time.

I'll be picking brains soon concerning ASME PQR's/WPS's. Very soon.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / C-spec Software