Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Upfront welding inspection considerations
- - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-20-2014 23:18
WWW.THEFABRICATOR.COM JULY 2010
July 7, 2010
By: Professor R. Carlisle "Carl" Smith

"Welding inspection involves much more than simply checking the accuracy of welds after they are made. Inspectors must be knowledgeable about codes, standards, materials, and other fabricating processes."

I think we all can appreciate reading an article such as this one which outlines the major fundamentals covering the priorities and considerations regarding welding inspection...
Very concise and to the point IMHO... And he (Carl) describes one of many examples of what a welding inspector's responsibilities are as well as describing some of the various situations that an inspector must, should do and may not do as part of the inspector's job description and limitations of that same description... 
Enjoy the read!:eek::twisted::roll::smile::grin::lol::wink::cool:

http://www.thefabricator.com/article/testingmeasuring/upfront-welding-inspection-considerations

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-21-2014 11:00
Thanks. 

Here are some things I try to remember.

1)  attend a pre job meeting if one is scheduled. If I am contacted after that stage I try to obtain any notes or minutes. Often times exceptions to contract documents will be addressed at that stage.

2) Try to establish is the precedence of documents should a conflict exist. If that cannot be done, confirm who is the person authorized to provide exceptions, additions, and clarification for items in which the fabricator cannot comply with.

3) Obtain the latest contract documents and establish a line of communication with whoever is in control of the documents on your end.  Change orders,  revised drawings,  RFI's, and others documents are often sent to a specific distribution list.  Make sure you are on it.  Nothing like writing up am inspection report with non conforming itrms, presenting it,  only to find out that acceptance criteria has changed.

4) Review all contact documents.  I have had POs for fabricated products that  detailed the tolerances,  specification sections that applied,  and making requirements.  Make sure  which documents apply to the product you are inspecting .

5) Look through all documents prior to staring your inspection. Look for tolerances and acceptance criteria in formation that may exceed that of normal code tolerances.  If you find anything out of the ordinary try to discuss it up front.  I have rejected large fabricated air pollution control equipment for having a difference in diagonals during trial fit of 7/16 of an inch. This piece had 100 foot diagonals. A silly tolerance of 3/8" was what was required.  We all knew this would not be a problem.  But it was still rejected.  My customer said "Use your judgment". I asked for that in an email but never received one.

6) Document everything.  Who what when why how. 

7) Never deviate from what is written.  No matter how silly you think it is.

Just a few of my thoughts.  But understand these items can sometimes affect your desirability as an inspector.  Sometimes good sometimes not so good.

Gerald
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-25-2014 14:21
Good stuff Henry....thanks for sharing.
- - By Bob G Date 03-22-2014 14:59
Thank you, Henry.

UT's on materials over 1 inch thick for lamellar tearing - YES! 

And well said, Gerald.  I've had inspectors highlight relevant portions of the codes and documents and this was their "Bible".  These inspectors prevailed whenever there was a dispute.

Bob

Ps:  Henry, we finished the MSF facility in HI - You can see it in Beckoning Point on Google Earth.  I'm the guy on shore waving my arms at the Project Engineer.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-25-2014 07:35
Hi Bob!

Yes indeed!!! All I can say is Great work buddy!:lol: So that's what you look like from "outer space":yell::eek::grin::smile::lol::wink::cool:

It's great to see you posting again Bob! I certainly miss your posts!:lol::cool: And someone says this forum is in it's death throws... NOT!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Bob G Date 03-25-2014 19:26
Thanks Henry.  Actually I retired but I can’t stay away from it all.  Y’all know what I mean.

I’ve been wanting to put some stuff on this forum on the Engineer’s responsibility as defined in construction contracts (one of my gigs was a construction contract administrator).  I’ll have to base it on AISC and International Code Council (ICC) codes since that is my field.  I’m seeing way too many cases where engineering documents are incomplete or inadequate.  Being a retired structural engineer, I’ve actually met a few engineers who don’t size welds but rely on the note, “Welds shall be sized to develop the full strength of the weaker part being joined.”!!??  We can do better.

Bob
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-25-2014 20:22
Bob,
That is a ligit point about the sizing of welds, because speaking from a fabricators point of view my response to the engineer would be a very diplomatic F you. We are a fabricator. We do not do design.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-25-2014 20:29
Bob
Great...  Looking forward to your AISC/Engineering wisdom !

Especially if you have insight into 2012 requirments (increased) for UT of the various catagories of CJP welds....   Many folks will be/are caught with pants down on this as implementation spreads geographically.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-26-2014 00:02
Bob,
As a former structural detailer and then a QC manager, I saw alot of that style of weld sizing on the contract structural dwgs. While working for that AISC certified fabricator, having an on staff in-house engineer was a great asset for those situations where calcs were needed to be done in a timely manner because the shipping schedule rarely gave room for the RFIs to go back and forth.
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 03-26-2014 05:22
I have a set of approved drawings for a multi level steel framed structure that simply say all welding to conform to AWS and AISC latest applicable editions and all welding to be done with E70XX electrodes. 

One of these days I'm going to weld one of these things up with 7014 and install all the iron with grade 2 bolts because i can.
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 04-01-2014 15:18
With all due respect to the OP, could we permit this thread to drift further toward a discussion of the engineers design responsibility?  The question is central to ongoing concerns I encounter with most all the contract documents I have to bid from and since others here have raised the issue I'd like to ask for further discussion.

Granted that no set of plans/specifications can be expected to be perfect, can this be justification for glaring, looming holes and the absence of specific needed basics?  Weld size for instance? Why should a fabricator be put into the position of taking the responsibilty for design?  Even when stepping up to do so because of contract document deficencies, any submittal will need to go through the approval process and recieve the EORs blessing which only adds to the time and costs and erosion of profit at the fabricators and owners expense.  Since almost all of our work is in Public Work contracts the unwitting taxpayer gets to foot the bill which is just further outrageousness.

So a couple of questions.  Since I have only been operating a business for 12 years I would like some historical perspective from those around a longer time.  Was it always such?  Did the contract documents of yore get delivered as a fully developed design?  Are the deficiencies so prevalent today a newer development and if so, what do you think are the leading contributing factors?  Does reliance on newer computer technologies contibute to a lessening of fact checking, design checking and a sense of personal responsibility for ones work?  Is it economically driven, ie. there's not enough time/budget for engineering firms to complete their work to a sufficiently reasonable level of detail? Is it just that people are doing the best they can even when holding the fabricator to a different standard?  Being that our work is mostly public projects is it just a function of bueracratic incompetence and lowest common denominator?  When I go to my consulting structural PE with issues that need to get straightened out his mirth is always infused with a display of some contempt for the documents and those that produce them.  Fortunately he has a great sense of humor, most of the time, and the comedy of it all can be discerned but, with a minute or three on his calculator he has the answers needed and I wonder what classes did the other guys skip.  Bit of a rant, my apologies, and for the thread jacking to the OP but any insights would be appreciated.
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 04-02-2014 00:20
The blanket cover all statement is usually in the general notes and its "design, fabrication and erection as per AISC latest addition".   

I will say that its become THE GAME, as in the way its played is the engineer churns out enough info to get the permits approved and nothing more.   From there it goes into overtime on the clients dollar.  All RFI's and questions are billed to the customer and its really the profit center for the engineer.    20 min to answer a question gets billed as an hour.

As much as i HATE This process its what the game has become.     I hate the phenomenon of the low bidder blatantly low balling the job then making ALL the profit above and beyond what a reasonable bidder would have charged.   For one i personally hate the paperwork and it makes me feel dishonest having to work that way.

I have a full time PE on the staff that oversees the detailing and design process in the shop.   Its an expensive proposition to have on the payroll but i find it pays dividends for me personally and our operation.    Having a stamped PE to streamline the RFI process and pretty much do the EOR's job for them makes it easier to fast track jobs.    Detailing still remains the biggest bottleneck/PITA in the process though.

As for CAD i agree 100% that engineering has taken a nose dive since its introduction.   It divorces the designer from the project to the point to where 90% of the details are cut and paste from other projects.  I have got drawings in with details that had ZERO relevance to the actual design.    I have had connection details that show one end of the beam being a W10 and the other being a W12. 

Its what the trade has become though.   I'm sure theres an easier way to make a living but this is all i really know how to do...
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 04-02-2014 16:04
AWS D1.1:2010
1.4.1 Engineer's responsibilities.

last sentence of first pp ..."The Engineer shall determine the suitability of all joint details to be used in a welded assembly"

It says they SHALL, doesn't mean they WILL
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 04-03-2014 14:04
Fred-

Is that a semantic splitting of hairs?  The sentence isn't to be read as "Shall we"?  I read the word to intend "will" in future tense.  If the directive was to intend a choice it would read "should", which would imply the engineers discretion.  I understand contract language can hang on a misplaced coma, but my read on this is that implies an assertive direction to the engineer.  I suppose I should call my attorney for a clarification but I hate paying $185 for an 8 word answer.... that is if an attorney ever had an 8 word answer.

Opposite side of the coin: [paraphrasing] "any discrepancy in the plans or specifictions 'shall' be reported to the engineer".  So I keep my yap shut and wait for him to discover his own mistakes and shrug and tell em I just built to the plans, not my fault?
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 04-03-2014 14:31
Shall in the code is defined:
AWS D1.1:2010
1.3.6.1 Shall:
"Code provisions that use "shall" are mandatory unless specifically modified in contract documents by the Engineer"

The phrase outside of the code was my comment on what SHALL be done and what actually GETS done
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 04-03-2014 16:32
yojimbo,

In response to your question about contract drawings of yore, I’ve been in the structural business for 37 years.  In my experience, the design drawings have never been complete on any project, and the lack of information has progressively gotten worse.  Some of the details and sections on the design drawings are not applicable to the project.  Some of the specs are also not applicable to the project.  It almost seems like the project name is changed and then the specs are copied for the next project, leaving bidders and the subsequent fabricator to either figure it out or submit RFI after RFI, after RFI, for clarification.  D1.1 has specific mandatory engineer responsibilities and Section 3 of the AISC COSP has specific mandatory engineer responsibilities as well, requiring weld sizes and lengths to be shown, bolt sizes, locations, quantities, grades, plate and angle sizes, thicknesses, dimensions, work point locations and any related information.  From what I've seen and experienced, I agree with Fred.  Without using that (s) word, just because it's mandatory doesn't mean that they (engineers), will do it.
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 04-03-2014 16:45
As we all know, just because the code says "shall" doesn't mean it happens.  Engineers are famous for not having any idea of the details of the code.  I have adopted the practice of having a detailed RFQ/PO/Contract, quoting code chapter and verse on RFI/questions, and penalties for not delivering on time.

As a result, the projects we end up with are almost never the low bid.  We don't get all of the business, but the ones we do get done right.  When we recieve the RFQ from the end user, we can spend up to a week asking them to fix various issues with the drawing/contract package before we even approach subs with our requirements.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 04-03-2014 17:11
The AISC published a great article in their May 1999 MSC magazine "Why the Engineer Of Record Needs To Listen To The Fabricator".  I did a google search but couldn't post a link to it.  I can email you a copy if you like.
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 04-03-2014 18:35 Edited 04-03-2014 18:39
Scottn,

I was looking for that exact article to link here as well!  At least I believe it is the same [year, publisher, topic are ] but it is on a thumbdrive with a computer virus and no longer accessable to me.  I've forwarded it to a few people in the past.  It discusses the designers obligation for their work, the historical tendency to shift that obligation to the fabricators and the need to reclaim that obligation.  It was very well written, balanced and expressed an understanding of the practical effects deficient design has on the time/cost of real world constuction.  If you can link it I will resave it for future reminding to and upbraiding of the slackers.  To: jk2189@earthlink.net

My current strategy, as yet unproven in that I have 4 bids out using it and don't know how it will fly with the GCs it will effect is to include this language in our subcontract bid proposals [all provide and install projects] where sub standard bidding documents are provided:

Scope of Work language: "using our standard shop connection details". [Then if the don't approve what they should have included in the bidding docs. we will gladly price whatever it is they finally decide on].

Terms and Conditions language:  "When required, shop drawings will be furnished and, when approved by the purchaser or architect, they shall be deemed to be correct interpretation of design and dimensions".  [I expect some of them will choke on that].

When I put out a proposal I am very comprehensive in detailing scope of work, reference specific sheets by number and sheet details.  This has been commented on by a few GCs, but our intention has alway been to make it very clear what we intend.  There are some jobs where we will exclude a particular component, ie. if we are not doing the install we might provide the anchoring studs but specifically exclude the epoxy as we have no control of waste.  However we always include a general exclusion that reads: "The proposed scope of work excludes any product, material, service or additive not specifically mentioned".

I don't like to bid as speced. I prefer to bid as build, but that preference requires a lot of time/energy/cost just to get everyone on the correct page to begin with before bid, and doesn't increase my odds of winning a bid anyway.  My efforts to get things clarified might earn some small degree of respect  or appreciation for doing others leg work but in the end , if my number aint the lowest it's my tough luck.  This doesn't include the umbrage one undergoes occasionally from questioning an architects drawings or an engineers absence of anchorage depths [reflecting an absence of calcs].  The new language we are including in scope of work is intended to protect ourselves from the obligation of building something that is unconstructable or will drive the cost of the work to a level the market would not bear.  An example would be a railing system as drawn that requires an additional 150 hours of field welding and accompaning painting contractor touch up costs, with no provision for expansion joints supplied and where common sense and a little logic would offer a better more cost effective product.

I recognize this topic dosen't belong in a forum area specifically restricted to inspection, so again my apologies to the OP and moderator of this board and my appreciation of the indulgence.  The opportunity to recieve input from those with more experience who've fought this before is helpfull.
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 04-03-2014 19:40
Here's the best I could do with a link.  It's a link to a Google search.  It's the first site listed on the search, which is the AISC.  If you click it, it takes you straight to the download.

https://www.google.com/#q=why+the+engineer+of+record+needs+to+listen+to+the+fabricator

If you can't access it, just send me your email address and I will send it to you.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-04-2014 08:08 Edited 04-04-2014 09:30
Really good article Scott!:grin:

Yojimbo, Just to add to what the article Scott posted, I took the liberty to post a few more links to .pdf articles from the AISC store which I think some of them might useful to read in the context of your desire to develop a more cooperative relationship with some of the contractors, EOR's and any other folks that seem unable to "Get it" with respect to  some of the topics involving various aspects of project management... Enjoy the readings!:grin::smile::lol::wink::cool:

http://www.aisc.org/store/p-1509-it-doesn39t-have-to-be-that-way.aspx

http://www.aisc.org/store/p-2014-no-good-deed-goes-unpunished.aspx

(This one is to be mailed to you)
http://www.aisc.org/store/p-2082-improving-project-performance-and-productivity.aspx

http://www.aisc.org/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=4824

http://www.aisc.org/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=17610

Well, that's about it for now although I think I'll leave you with these links to kick around also:

http://www.aisc.org/store/c-16-free-publications.aspx?pagenum=1

http://www.aisc.org/content.aspx?id=2858

http://www.aisc.org/UploadedContent/TeachingAids/MgmtManual_1.pdf

http://www.aisc.org/UploadedContent/TeachingAids/MgmtManual_2.pdf

http://www.aisc.org/UploadedContent/TeachingAids/MgmtManual_3.pdf

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/post_edit.pl?pid=256861

http://www.aisc.org/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=35138

http://www.aisc.org/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=22784

http://www.aisc.org/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=33520

http://www.aisc.org/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=32734

http://www.aisc.org/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=32736

http://www.aisc.org/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=32730

http://www.aisc.org/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=32732

http://www.aisc.org/uploadedFiles/HSS/sq%20dim%20and%20prop.pdf

http://www.aisc.org/uploadedFiles/HSS/Jumbo%20column%20tables_finalsq.pdf

http://www.aisc.org/content.aspx?id=28100&linkidentifier=id&itemid=28100

http://www.aisc.org/content.aspx?id=16252

I could continue but, I gotta stop somewhere so, have fun with these.:grin::smile::lol::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 04-04-2014 14:08
Thank you Henry.  There looks to be a pretty comprehensive list of considerations in those links.  Your contributions, as usual, are valued and appreciated.
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 04-04-2014 15:08
In case some of you are not aware, the article I posted a link to is from the AISC publication, Modern Steel Construction.  It's said to be the only magazine in the United States devoted exclusively to the design, fabrication, and construction of structural steel buildings and bridges, and it's a free subscription with great articles, technical information, employment opportunities, a steel interchange where questions are submitted and answered by design professionals, a steel quiz, new products, a marketplace, etc.  I've subscribed to it for years but I can't remember if a subscription runs for a year of for three years.  Anyway, as it gets close to expiring, just go back to the site and renew your subscription.  Years ago it replaced my favorite magazine.  It doesn't have a centerfold, but with all the great articles and information, who cares?

http://www.modernsteel.com/subscriptions.php
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-04-2014 20:53
Thank you...

It's my new business so I need all the tech pub I can swallow :)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Upfront welding inspection considerations