Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / The history of FCAW??
- - By Firechicken Date 04-23-2014 02:56
Im doing a report for college on fCAW and im having a hard time finding the history of the process. if anyone has some links that could help me out, i would very much appreciate it.
Thanks!
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 04-23-2014 14:24
Cool!  My regards to the guys up at the 'yard!
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 04-23-2014 20:12
The FCAW process was invented by Arthur Bernard.  His patent was assigned to National Cylinder gas in 1957, where the process was further developed and introduced for industrial use.  The FCAW process didn’t really take off until 1977 when nineteen year old SCOTTN astounded the welding world and qualified for unlimited thickness in the 2G position, in accordance with AWS D1.1.  The process would undoubtedly still be in its infancy today had it not been for this remarkable breakthrough.  Early on, some thought that the process might be extremely difficult to master, but when SCOTTN proved to the world just how easy it was to become a certified FCAW welder, the response was both unbelievable and overwhelming.  His supervisor at the time, is quoted as saying “If that boy can be trained to weld with it, we can train a monkey to weld with it”.  And the rest is history.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 04-24-2014 01:16
Haha, Very nice Scott!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-24-2014 02:55
Excellent - Al
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 04-24-2014 10:43
Baha!!
Like :lol:

Tyrone
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 04-24-2014 21:33
Scott :smile::lol:
to answer the OP
really hate to say this
but when I started a few years before 1977
most in the industry called it innershield
which is a lincoln trademark
so the OP might go to lincoln.com ask the experts:surprised::roll::eek:
yes hack rod burners
but lincoln will have a boat load of info
hope this helps
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By SCOTTN (***) Date 04-25-2014 17:43
Innershield is definitely a Lincoln trademark, but my understanding from the very limited search results was that the Lincoln trademark didn't come into play until a few years after Arthur Bernard called it Dualshield.  Lincoln expanded on it and developed a FCAW wire that didn't require external shielding.   

The following was taken from an article in October 2007 edition of The American Welder , “A Brief History of Filler Metals”

"With the introduction of welding with CO2 shielding gas came other filler metal inventions, notably the precursors to today’s flux cored wire.  Attributed to Arthur Bernard in 1954, who dubbed the process Dualshield®, flux cored arc welding (FCAW) began with the creation of a flux cored wire, similar to those manufactured today.  The flux itself generated shielding gas, but an external supply of CO2 was still necessary to protect the weld pool.  The development of a self shielded welding wire in 1959 would eliminate the need for an external shielding gas supply, and it was therefore called Innershield®"

Here's a link to that article........

http://files.aws.org/wj/2007/10/wj200710/wj1007-113.pdf
- - By Firechicken Date 04-24-2014 01:16
Very good information, just what i was looking for. i was wondering however, do we have a source by any chance?
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-24-2014 06:26
Yes! Google or Bing!
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 04-24-2014 11:57
I was curious about it's origin so I did a google search on the subject.  I was surprised that the search rendered very minimal results.  A couple sites only mentioned Arthur Bernard and the process in a very short paragraph.  I've amassed a pretty sizable library over the years and I couldn't find anything there either.

Here's the Praxair link where I got the first two sentences of my original post.  I felt sorry for Mr. Bernard because I expected a lot more search references from Google.  I thought I would also post my experience to make him seem larger than life, though, I still haven't gotten over eventually being replaced by that chimp.  

http://catalogs.praxairdirect.com/i/30913/111
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 04-24-2014 13:03
Couple of paragraphs in the welding handbook, 9th edition volume 2
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 04-24-2014 13:35
www.weldguru.com/welding-history.html
I haven't check this out but it might help.

M.G.
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 04-24-2014 14:13
Even though I like your historical review, I would nonetheless suggest a different approach to the OP.

That is. The flux cored wire, at least to my knowledge, is nothing but an advancement of the 'flux cored stick electrode'. In 1926 then the first self shielded flux cored wire should have been produced by BOEHLER, referred to as 'B-ELITE KVA'

After developing CO2 shielded GMAW in the early 1950's the general principle, which had just played a rather secondary part in welding history, was picked up again for now producing a higher quality gas shielded flux cored wire electrode.

I suppose this is where Arthur Bernard might come into play.

I would try an international patent research for revealing the origins of FCAW, maybe starting with Franz Leitner from BOEHLER and perhaps proceeding from there.

Almost certain that Henry is capable of providing some huge amount of documents on this.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-24-2014 14:31
I really think history is irrelevent for a beginning welding student or an engineering student.

Cored SMAW  Vs.   FCAW?   For one thing.....    Constant current vs Constant voltage power supplies.... The differences between a CC and a CV arc make it truely a apples and oranges conversation..

Now, while apples and oranges are grown in different parts of the garden, those differences are very much worth talking about.

FCAW/MCAW gains their greatest advantage via their particular way of producing a beneficial "current density" at the welding arc.

A student learner who wants to actually become an effective professional rather than please a misguided teacher, would learn the benefits and contrast the differences between a CV GMAW welding arc and a CV FCAW/MCAW welding arc as they relate to the following:

1,  Fillet weld penetration profile and how this may effect design engineering of weld sizes in steel joinits.

2,  Deposition rates of MCAW/FCAW  vs  GMAW with solid wire in manual and automated sceneros.

Understand the process factors that answer questions 1 and 2 and you are well on your way to being a welder who can make money by a means other than just pulling the trigger with a steady hand... You take your first steps toward becomming a weld decision maker.
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 04-24-2014 14:42
Note, I was just trying to help by coming from the topic's headline stating: "The history of FCAW??"

Good points raised by yourself - nevertheless.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-24-2014 14:45
I was just hoping to get some golden nuggets from yourself on those points....  Not giving the lad all the answers... But setting the stage for learning stuff that is really effective in the real world  :)
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 04-24-2014 15:22
Well said.

Quite recently I was having a conversation with a teacher who appeared scared.
His post-graduate students have obviously reached a point, he said, of considering everything not visible in GOOGLE as simply inexistent.

Most likely belonging to the rather "older" ones amongst those individuals posting here; I surely understand that it's difficult nowadays, especially for younger people, to even achieve a solid level of basic technical background and then in-depth knowledge through e.g. hardcopy literature studies* and to overcome the temptation to only use the internet**.

Hence, and finally, another well-meant advice to the OP. Make lively use of your library. I found myself blessed to undergo some of the most inspiring hours in my life by trying to get my tiny brain around the content of a welding textbook.

*) A little "ancient" maybe but, to me, producing much more fun and being more sustainable.
**) Considered beneficial in many respects.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-24-2014 18:10
Hello electrode, I have just recently gotten to read through this thread to any depth. One thing that my partners and I have noticed with regard to Google, YouTube, and other internet sources is the "apparent" belief by our students that: "if it's on the internet it's gotta be true, right?".

To me the internet has certainly been a mixed blessing, the site here is one example of what I consider a valuable asset for learning and sharing. On the other hand, credibility and accuracy of information and sources is often challenging to verify. There was a statement that I seem to recall that goes along the lines of one of the life skills that we all need to work on is differentiating the truth from the B.S. That can certainly be a big challenge, yet to be successful I believe that it is an important one. Enjoying all of the aspects of this thread. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 04-24-2014 18:41
Thank you.

Your statement, to me, is very wisely put.

It is good to know that there are yet appreciated individuals around, indulgently sharing their skill and honestly gained experience to accompany young people on their way (quote) "[...] toward becoming a weld decision maker".

With all due respect, Sir.
Observing the communication on this forum for a while I definitely count you among these esteemed personalities.

I suspect that patiently sensitising your students to not to believe anything from the world wide web too quickly and consistently reminding them of adequately questioning what's being read and seen, has become an additional but important task for you and all of those active in (welding) education.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-24-2014 19:37
Thank you electrode, in teaching I have "tried" to give answers and instructions with reasons/explanations for a particular approach or doing something a particular way. I have also tried to give options for alternative approaches as most folks don't always learn or master skills in the same way. My usual method is to state the intended outcome and to allow for many different ways/approaches/options to achieve those particular goals. We have students that come to us with extensive life experiences and those who are pretty new to all of it. We attempt to have them "see" all of the value that they and we can provide to one another. Learning happens instructor to student, student to instructor, student to student, family members to students, and the world to a student. To me the real trick is to unlock some of those closed minds who don't see this as what's going on, or should possibly occur.

As I often follow what goes on on this forum and not post all of the time, I appreciate your many contributions as well. Have a great day and best regards, Allan
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 04-24-2014 19:45
Quote: "Learning happens instructor to student, student to instructor, student to student, family members to students, and the world to a student. To me the real trick is to unlock some of those closed minds who don't see this as what's going on, or should possibly occur."

Like I said - very wisely and honourably put.

Thank you.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / The history of FCAW??