Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / CVN requirements
- - By BIGBOB (*) Date 06-12-2014 19:33 Edited 06-13-2014 11:30
I have a drawing from a customer that states" weld procedures AND welders shall be qualified for CVN requirements of AWS D1.1" Is there a welder qualification that is derived from Charpy V-notch testing? The material is ASTM A572 Gr 50. Filler metal is E70C-6M using GMAW process.
I have an existing weld procedure that I can get qualified for CVN but do not know of any welder qualification requirements. Next question is that the weld procedure that I have was pre-qualified GMAW so I had no mechanical testing done at all, just the welders qualification tests were performed using it. So does having to perform CVN testing mean that I would have to get the rest of the procedure qualification testing done too? I know this is basic for some of you but I hope to learn something here.:grin:
Thanks!
Parent - - By BIGBOB (*) Date 06-16-2014 18:19
I guess I need to say this. The way I understand, CVN testing has nothing to do with the welders qualification, only the WPS from which it was welded under. If the welder has previously been qualified to this prequalified WPS and then adds a procedure qualification for CVN requirements to the WPS, all that changes is the WPS has to be revised to add the CVN results.

Does any of this make sense?

Bob
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-17-2014 13:58
Bob,
It is correct that CVN testing has nothing to do with welder qualification. And if you add supplementary essential variables and then revise the WPS the welder is still good to go as far as the great majority of Codes are concerned.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-17-2014 16:36
If I'm following you then your view is correct.  Welders do not have to be tested just because of a change in WPS which is what you are essentially talking about with conditions for the CVN.  The original test qualification process covers the welder to weld to any WPS written for that particular code. 

You will have to do CVN testing and any applicable PQR testing but the welders are good to go.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By BIGBOB (*) Date 06-17-2014 16:57
Thanks Guys. Every now and then I get a request on a contract that really stops me in my tracks and makes me think am I missing something? I think that some of the engineering staffs that I deal with are not well educated in welding, especially code requirements. Although I have been schooled by some!

Bob
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / CVN requirements