Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Construction Aid Welds
- - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-25-2014 15:06
5.18 Tack Welds and Construction
Aid Welds

5.18.1 General Requirements
(1) Tack welds and construction aid welds shall be
made with a qualified or prequalified WPS and by qualified
personnel.

A3.0 does not describe specifically what a "construction aid weld" actually is.

I thought it would be nice to bring this topic up....   A quick forum search harvested zero results on "construction aid welds"

It just seems to me that a term that has it's own bold requirements in the AWS's flagship code of the steel industry should be perfectly understood.

What is a "construction aid weld"

What is the fact?

What is your opinion?
Parent - By jstepp (*) Date 06-25-2014 15:28
This is from the AWS Welding Journal - September 2008 (top of middle column on 2nd page).  It still doesn't define the term but you'll see its creation.

http://files.aws.org/wj/2008/09/wj200809/wj0908-32.pdf
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 06-25-2014 15:32
Lawrence I found this http://files.aws.org/wj/2008/09/wj200809/wj0908-32.pdf stroll down till you get to Fabrication.

M.G.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-25-2014 15:42
Difficult to accept that it better relays the original intent when we don't even know what the frick it means. You would think that if the Code committee is going to move from long accepted terminology to one generated from rectumus extracticus they might at least make a minimal attempt at defining the term.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-25-2014 16:06 Edited 06-25-2014 16:13
Thank you sir !

So at this point we are no better informed or able to comply with the code than we were when the original post was thrown up.

The article by Miller that Scott posted is great too  (but that pic of Miller at the top is of a young man... HA ha ha)

Woops... it's gone... Put it back up Scott !
Parent - - By SCOTTN (***) Date 06-25-2014 16:29
Lawrence, I removed the post because I needed to change my response.  Prior to the 2008 edition of D1.1, previous editions defined temporary weld as a weld made to attach a piece or pieces to a weldment for temporary use in handling, shipping, or working on the weldment.  The link that jstepp and Milton posted, “A Preview Of The 2008 Changes:  D1.1, Structural Welding Code-Steel” mentioned the elimination of “temporary weld”, and replaced it with “construction aid weld”.  AWS D1.1 2008 defines “construction aid weld” similarly….   a weld made to attach a piece or pieces to a weldment for temporary use in handling, shipping, or working on the structure.  Same definition as previous D1.1 editions, except that the last word in the definition from previous D1.1 editions… “weldment” was changed to “structure”, for the 2008 edition of D1.1.

The link....

Pay Attention To Tack And Temporary Welds, by Mr. Miller

http://www.jflf.org/pdfs/papers/design_file103.pdf
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-25-2014 16:36
Alrighty then.........   Annex K is where it lives

construction aid weld. A weld made to attach a piece or
pieces to a weldment for temporary use in handling,
shipping, or working on the structure.

I swear I did an acrobat search and this did not show up the first time...

Sorry fellas
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-25-2014 18:37

>I did an acrobat search and this did not show up the first time.

That's the biggest beef I have with owning a pdf of a large book....I can never find what I need and it's a pain to run references in a pdf vs a hard copy of a book that I can flip pages in a hurry. Generally the pdf is good for searches but I understand when someone says they searched and didn't find what they were looking for.
Parent - - By rjtinsp (*) Date 06-25-2014 18:42
I just searched for the term "construction aid" in my PDF copy of D1.1 and it eventually came up in annex K. I for one have stopped buying paper copies of codes and standards if I can purchase a PDF version. If its a clean version i.e. not a scan it should search almost flawlessly.

Ramon
Parent - By rjtinsp (*) Date 06-25-2014 18:44
One of my favorite ways to research a topic in a code is to enter in the term for the subject I want to research and read every instance of it in the code. It gives me a better chance of not missing anything.

Ramon
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-25-2014 18:45
D1.5 gives 4 paragraphs in Clause 12.13 to the location, requirements, temporary welds not shown on drawing, and removal of tack welds.
Maybe D1.1 should take up this charge vs placing the information back there in the Annexes.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-26-2014 14:48
I was going to suggest looking in Annex K, but I don't have my D1.1 with me. My wife forbid me to bring it along on vacation.  She may be small, but she carries a big stick!

Best regards - Al
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-26-2014 16:13
Al, take your vacation bud we can wait til you get back. :-)
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-26-2014 17:33
Al,
Mine doesn't even like me taking my work phone with me. She allows it, emphasis on 'allows', but I get very dissatisfied looks when I take calls. And it must be off when we are having dinner.
Although, it is not without justification. Dayum thing went off (I forgot to shut it down) while we were at the changing of the guard ceremony at the tomb of the unknown soldier at Arlington awhile back.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-26-2014 20:01
Ouch!

Someday I might get one of those things.

Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-26-2014 23:19
Are you referring to the phone or the tomb?? :lol:

I have a copy of D1.1 2006 on my computer which goes everywhere with me.  Broke it in Ireland last year.  Ouch.  But, I greatly restrict my time on it when we are vacationing. 

Sorry for adding to this hijack Lawrence. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 06-27-2014 00:55
So.... It's a "Construction aid weld" that attaches my half clamps to the parts I'm trying to force back into alignment for tacking then final welding?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-27-2014 01:18
That's the term I would use according to D1.1 Clause 5.18 and Annex K.

Not sure, did they change that in 2008 from temporary weld to construction aid weld?  I believe so.  And Lawrence quoted it a few posts up.  Part of the reason is that they aren't always 'temporary' welds. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Construction Aid Welds