Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Greetings from Dubai
- - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-11-2014 20:19
Been an interesting few weeks.  Company asked me to blow the dust off the hood and sent me over to Dubai to perform some repair welds. First weld cert I've held in 5 years, but I was able to test in on 5G 304 4" sch 80 pipe GTAW all the way out. I no longer weld as part of my normal job functions as a welding engineer, but I teach a weld class and try to stay practiced.

Been in Dubai now since mid June. Attached below is a picture of the ridiculous weld I came to repair. Contractor tried doing an underwater repair, couldn't get it to pass hydro test so they kept welding and welding. Put about 1" of weld on a schedule 40 bell reducer...  Odd place to work, labor is cheap so instead of clamps I get 2-3 dedicated helpers, they usually act as my clamps and are will bevel my pipes for me while I take a water break and read.

115+ during the day with high humidty, gets down to a chilly 98 at night with near 100% humidity.  It's now the holy month of Ramadan so no pork, no booze, no dancing, and no eating sun up to sundown. Everyone is nice, never seen so many exotic cars in my life.    Managed to sneak  in a picture overlooking the worlds largest fountain.  Hope all is well in the states, save some bacon for me.

http://imgur.com/8x3LBER,lYknQnB,4PZjoIU#0
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-11-2014 21:19
Seriously, you are trying to convince us that that weld wouldn't hold water?:eek:

Show them how it done lad.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-11-2014 21:44
More is better right?  Just keep stacking them layers!

Honestly I think there might have been some technical issues with their hydro test and not being able to properly hold at test pressure (750).  While terrible I didn't find any leak paths on the weld and hydro normally isn't that hard to pass.

I ended up having to remake those 3x4" bell reducers and putting a new NPT half coupling on. They wanted me to reuse some of the cut off ones... yah not gonna happen.

I'm not really outfitted in a fab shop here either, at least it has AC though, not sure if i would have taken the job if I had to work outside.
Parent - - By 522029 (***) Date 07-12-2014 01:05 Edited 07-12-2014 01:07
Is that not a boring bit????  Oh, for an angled hole???

Griff
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-26-2014 00:56
It's a 3x4" schedule 80 bell reducer  with a 3" ANSI flange on one side, this was an odd one. I was sent there to replace the excellent weld job of the previous contractor.
Parent - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 07-13-2014 16:45
Someone didn't know when to quit while they were ahead... before they struck the first arc. :eek:
Parent - By Len Andersen (***) Date 07-14-2014 13:39
Joel and other AWS People,
      Worked in area for near a year. Five portents in welding , engineering degree and CWI . What might be helpful. Realize where you are and not offend. Gave a day long class in welding inspection is Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. There view of a welder is an agricultural worker who got on an airplane, arrived and got an electrode burnt! Any questions answered.
Sincerely
Len Andersen   weld@speamil.org
914-536-7101 / 914-237-7689 (H) / 800-428-4801 USA
POB 1529 / NYC 10116-1529 ( $1240 per year Caller
Box GPO NYC / Most Secure Service At Largest Post
Office USA )

www.lenandersen.com

PS -
http://lenandersen.com/personal_info/resume.html
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-18-2014 03:55 Edited 07-18-2014 03:59
I think they must have flown that guy in from where I live to weld that, looks like the same work he did here!
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-26-2014 00:52
why make multiple stringers when you can get it all done in one pass?

he just saved you money and time, you should be thanking him!
Parent - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 07-28-2014 00:10
Hope you brought extra grinding wheels!!!

Chris
- - By yojimbo (***) Date 07-12-2014 18:36
MY GOD CARLOS!!! HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND????

Never in all my years........... Jeesh.  It's like looking into the face of Madness seeing that weld.

WHAT could they have been thinking?
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 07-12-2014 22:38
Thinking Really.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 07-13-2014 03:54
Dude, someone is in serious violation of the "maximum 3 rod bead width restriction clause".
Would not hold water, aye? Did anyone test to see if it would hold sand First???:confused::razz::lol:
Tests.
1) Visual test
a) Is it ugly?
b) If so, have you ever tried to pass one off that looked as bad or worse?
2) Light test...
a) can you see your flashlight thru the weld?
b) If so, can you see your flashlight thru the weld, with it turned off?
c) Can you read the newspaper headline thru it?

If answer is no to all the above... Now you may proceed to the sand test, then followed by hydro.

Enjoy Dubai. BTW if you buy tickets online they are $25 instead of the $100 at the door price to go up in the Burg Khalif (formerly world's tallest building).
The observation deck is on the 125th floor. Crazy part is you still have the equivalent of the Sears Tower above you!!!
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-13-2014 04:49
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-26-2014 00:54
All work is done and I'm safely back in the USA.  Our client happens to own the Burj khalifa, as a thank you for completing all the welds (with no issues), I was given a free pass to the top.  I got to go up right before sunset and see the Dubai fountain as the sun went down over Dubai.

Interesting place, glad I went but very hot and expensive.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-26-2014 00:55
I think they were already in CYA mode, since it wasn't passing hydro they just kept putting another pass on. We were testing to 750 psi, but even a 1/8" wall could pass 750psi hydro test no problem.  They were chasing cracks and leaks it looks like.
Parent - - By mcostello (**) Date 07-26-2014 03:04
As a total newbie, I was wondering, Why would the weld above not stop a crack or leak at some point? I realize that after a pass or 2 even MOI would grind some out and start over.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-28-2014 00:59 Edited 07-28-2014 01:34
JOel i only wish I had the balls.......three years ago the kuwati airforce offered me high dollar but I was too chicken**** to take it.  SO more power to ya man.

hell at this point....give me the recruiters wherewithal or give em my number......I will take a high dollar tig job for ransom right now.

john can I come tst on your rodeo>   Ill pay for the first kodack.....provided I can bank.

money here is bleak and its all dwnhill.  If your api 1104 or tighter grt.   other then that your bankrupt.

Lamentations of an American kick ass welder learning that he must downhill to make a living,  However if one of you neeeds a micrroscopic tig hand whatever alloy group please call asap.
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 07-29-2014 11:03
Welcome back Joel.
You certainly get interesting assignments all over the place.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Greetings from Dubai